News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Vermont

Started by Alex, January 29, 2009, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

The Essex-Charlotte Ferry on Lake Champlain will be suspended next Monday.  That will leave Plattsburgh-Grand Isle as the only operating ferry on the lake.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/12/21/shutdown-of-charlotte-essex-ferry-raises-outcry-on-both-sides-of-the-lake/

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: froggie on December 31, 2020, 09:52:19 PM
The Essex-Charlotte Ferry on Lake Champlain will be suspended next Monday.  That will leave Plattsburgh-Grand Isle as the only operating ferry on the lake.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/12/21/shutdown-of-charlotte-essex-ferry-raises-outcry-on-both-sides-of-the-lake/

Did the Ticonderoga ferry shut down too?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

astralentity

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 04, 2021, 09:00:49 AM

That one always shuts down for the winter.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: astralentity on January 04, 2021, 09:21:11 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 04, 2021, 09:00:49 AM

That one always shuts down for the winter.

Yes, but we're talking about ferries shutting down indefinitely.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

cl94

The Ticonderoga ferry never even opened in 2020 because COVID. Unknown if it will open for summer 2021.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Dougtone

Over the weekend, we lost the 110 year old River Road Covered Bridge that crossed the Missiquoi River in Troy, Vermont. A snowmobile that was crossing the bridge broke down and caught fire. The fire eventually went out of control, damaging and destroying the bridge in the process. The bridge was the only crossing over the river for a few miles in either direction, serving as a motor vehicle link for local residents.

https://www.wcax.com/2021/02/06/video-landmark-covered-bridge-in-troy-collapses-from-fire-damage/

jcroyer80

Not sure if everyone is aware but the Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission and Vtrans are in the process of developing a comprehensive investment program for the 37 mile I-89 corridor in Chittenden County through 2050.   The website is  https://envision89.com/.   Right now the process is focusing on possible interchange improvements at Exits 13 and 14, along with the long discussed possibility of an Exit 12b at Route 116.  A third lane between Exists 14 and 15 will also be evaluated as part of the process.

Right now on the Homepage you can see a link to the draft interchange concept plans (along with a number of other documents and presentations).  Exits 13 and 14 each have two alternatives shown while 12b only has one.  Enjoy!

The Ghostbuster

The map shows the Southern Connector off the end of Interstate 189 as constructed. Looks like any extensions of VT 289 are permanently dead. Hopefully by 2050, Interstate 89 (and all of Vermont) will have mileage-based exits.

vdeane

What's up with the 12B exit number?  Would they be renumbering 12 to 12A?  Seems silly when VTrans allegedly plans to properly convert to mile-based in 2030.  Maybe this could convince them to convert early, assuming it's built before then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jcroyer80

Quote from: vdeane on March 17, 2021, 08:39:42 PM
What's up with the 12B exit number?  Would they be renumbering 12 to 12A?  Seems silly when VTrans allegedly plans to properly convert to mile-based in 2030.  Maybe this could convince them to convert early, assuming it's built before then.

They've been talking about this interchange for well over a decade now.  I don't see this interchange getting built before 2030 so if it ever does actually happen it likely will be Exit 86.

froggie

Various thoughts and responses:

• The interchange concepts are recently posted...last time I looked at the study website (about a month ago), they weren't there.
  • The 12B exit number is in no small part because it's been considered in planning for over 20 years.  This is by far not the first time (or even 2nd time) VTrans has looked at an interchange at 116.  I agree with jcroyer that it's highly unlikely to see construction this decade.  They'll upgrade Exit 12 before they'll build this one.
  • That Exit 12B rendering is very different than was was suggested a decade ago.  At that time, the leading candidate was more of a standard diamond with the northbound off-ramp intersecting Tilley Dr and the northbound on-ramp coming off the 116/Tilley intersection.
  • Regarding the 289 comments, VT 289 is not part of this study.  But it's been well-documented that 289 extensions were dropped ten years ago, though VTrans still owns much of the right-of-way.
  • It's worth noting that, in the SPUI alternative for Exit 13, I-189 would be decommissioned and dropped to a state highway.
  • One interchange that appears to be missing is a proposed interchange between 14 and 15.  This has shown up in long-range BTV plans as part of airport redevelopment/expansion and plans for a more direct northern access road to the airport.
  • Personally, I think auxiliary lanes would be more important between 13 and 14 than between 14 and 15...it's a much shorter distance there with higher merging/diverging volumes, especially the volumes coming off Exit 13.

SectorZ

Quote from: froggie on March 18, 2021, 12:20:42 PM

• The interchange concepts are recently posted...last time I looked at the study website (about a month ago), they weren't there.
  • The 12B exit number is in no small part because it's been considered in planning for over 20 years.  This is by far not the first time (or even 2nd time) VTrans has looked at an interchange at 116.  I agree with jcroyer that it's highly unlikely to see construction this decade.  They'll upgrade Exit 12 before they'll build this one.
  • That Exit 12B rendering is very different than was was suggested a decade ago.  At that time, the leading candidate was more of a standard diamond with the northbound off-ramp intersecting Tilley Dr and the northbound on-ramp coming off the 116/Tilley intersection.
  • Regarding the 289 comments, VT 289 is not part of this study.  But it's been well-documented that 289 extensions were dropped ten years ago, though VTrans still owns much of the right-of-way.
  • It's worth noting that, in the SPUI alternative for Exit 13, I-189 would be decommissioned and dropped to a state highway.
  • One interchange that appears to be missing is a proposed interchange between 14 and 15.  This has shown up in long-range BTV plans as part of airport redevelopment/expansion and plans for a more direct northern access road to the airport.
  • Personally, I think auxiliary lanes would be more important between 13 and 14 than between 14 and 15...it's a much shorter distance there with higher merging/diverging volumes, especially the volumes coming off Exit 13.

The exit 13 hybrid option, which appears to retain I-189, has a planned u-turn ramp west of I-89.

Curious how many interstates have such a feature.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on March 18, 2021, 03:13:37 PM

While it's not an Interstate, MA 213 does at its western end.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jcroyer80

Appreciate all the thoughts froggie! Not sure if you recall but a few years ago there was some back and forth between the Airport and South Burlington when SB built a solar array on the land that BTV marked for their access road off 89.  Other than showing up in the BTV 2030 Master Plan i don't think there has been much additional discussion about that roadway.

As for the aux lanes on 89 I find in the evening that NB traffic really gets backed up between 14 and 15 heading northbound.  However in the morning the heavy volume is between 13 and 14 heading southbound.   Pre-Covid it was heavy in both directions between 13 and 15. I THINK the initial discussions about the third lane mentioned being between 13 and 15 but the section before 14 now seems to have been dropped.

shadyjay

With the heavy merge coming northbound at Exit 13 and the short distance to Exit 14 (<1 mile), I can't see why not a 3rd lane could be added in both directions between Exits 13 & 14.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a thru lane, especially if the cloverleaf is modified with a c-d road approach.  The 3rd lane can be an "operational" lane, basically combining the Exit 13 acceleration and the Exit 14 decelleration (and vice versa southbound).  You wouldn't have to replace any bridges, either (except the US 2 over I-89 bridge, but that would be replaced if Exit 14 is modified I'm sure).  North of Exit 14, you have one overpass and maybe one underpass to worry about.  The Winooski River Bridge is already 3 lanes each way, so really you've got about a mile of widening in each direction north of Exit 14, and the 1/2-3/4 mile between Exits 13-14. 

Its interesting to note that Vermont's interstates have retained their same number of exits (and basic ramp configurations) since day 1, and that, outside of some lengthening of acceleration/ decelleration lanes, no widenings have taken place on the interstates.  I can't think of many other US states to have these same claims, and I am sure there are those hardcore ones who will say "leave I-89 alone" (and they're probably the ones that got Exit 10-A aborted - I'm looking at you, Bolton).  After having spent some 15 years in VT, leaving in 2018, I can tell you there is indeed the need for at least a mile or two of widening of I-89 in the Burlington area. 

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on March 18, 2021, 03:14:34 PM

I know that one well. Fun fact: no one knows how to yield from 93 south entering it.

The Spaluding Tpke in NH, also not an interstate, used to have one near exit 4 before the freeway was reconfigured.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on March 18, 2021, 06:41:11 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 18, 2021, 03:14:34 PM

I know that one well. Fun fact: no one knows how to yield from 93 south entering it.

The Spaluding Tpke in NH, also not an interstate, used to have one near exit 4 before the freeway was reconfigured.

I thought of another one (and actually on an Interstate) about 30 minutes later, but I wasn't home: I-495 (MA) exits 44-45 (sequential), from NB → SB only.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Alps

The exit 13 hybrid option, which appears to retain I-189, has a planned u-turn ramp west of I-89.

I-278 NJ had one for a long time during Goethals Bridge reconstruction to detour a closed ramp.

froggie

There was a public Zoom meeting tonight on the I-89 study, which I attended.  While the intention of tonight's meeting was on the metrics being used to evaluate the alternatives, there were a number of interchange-specific comments at tonight's meeting relating to specific alternatives.  I made some comments myself and also learned a few things:

• The Hybrid alternative with the U-turn remains an alternative even though FHWA frowns upon left-side exits.  They did look at flyover ramps as well as a U-turn flyover that would diverge/merge on the right but it was deemed too high of a cost.
  • If building Exit 12B is selected, they will likely need to include auxiliary lanes between 12B and 13.
  • Auxiliary lanes between 13 and 14 are still a consideration.
  • They actually did look at adding an interchange between 14 and 15 to serve the airport...the interchange that is on BTV Airport's master plan.  However, it did not survive the first round of screening.  I haven't looked at the details (apparently they're in one of the technical committee presentations) but that solar farm may have played a factor.

They are accepting Email comments through Monday at the email on the Envision89 website.

bluecountry

Was surprised I-91, how at Brattleboro, while not crowded, volume picks up significantly.
Any reason why?

Rothman

Quote from: bluecountry on April 07, 2021, 10:00:02 PM
Was surprised I-91, how at Brattleboro, while not crowded, volume picks up significantly.
Any reason why?
MA people shopping up yonder.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Not sure what they're getting in Brattleboro that they can't get in Greenfield.

The funny thing about that statement is that I-91 average traffic volumes are similar both north and south of Brattleboro, though there is a slight drop at Exit 4 (Putney).  There are more notable drops at Hanover, Bradford, and Lyndonville.

DJDBVT

Quote from: froggie on April 08, 2021, 09:48:11 AM

Most likely a quicker route to sales tax-free NH. Walmart, liquor stores, etc.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on April 08, 2021, 09:48:11 AM

The funny thing about that statement is that I-91 average traffic volumes are similar both north and south of Brattleboro, though there is a slight drop at Exit 4 (Putney).  There are more notable drops at Hanover, Bradford, and Lyndonville.
Pfft.  As someone who grew up in western MA, people would head up there every now and then because they had a couple of outlet stores and sometimes, cheaper cars.

Greenfield didn't have anything northern Northampton didn't already have (especially comparing to what Greenfield has around I-91)...and then Northampton's downtown strip was always more vibrant (or, at least revitalized in the mid-1980s while Greenfield still limped along -- psychologically, getting to downtown Greenfield also felt like a longer trip off the beaten path as well, which didn't help).  I know Greenfield is now bemoaning the demise of their beloved Wilson's -- the family owned department store in their downtown -- but, that lasted a couple of decades longer than it should have due to local fervor and local government support (I believe outright subsidies).

Short of it is that even though Northampton, Greenfield and Brattleboro are similar dots on the map, they are three distinct communities in terms of their economies and shopping options.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Stephane Dumas

I saw this little goof from Vermont DOT.  Looks like VT-207 along with VT-235 was promoted to US highways. ;)
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0068108,-72.9794095,3a,75y,236.07h,90.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sErriVu_s3yniS4rUjP46ZQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.