News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

2018-19 NCAA basketball season

Started by US 41, November 08, 2018, 07:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

I can't believe than Connecticut is still in the American Athletic (aka the old Big East). They should be in the ACC in my opinion.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hbelkins

The definition of a pervert in Kentucky is someone who likes sex more than basketball.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on November 17, 2018, 02:51:01 PM
The definition of a pervert in Kentucky is someone who likes sex more than basketball.
That reveals a lot about you.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on November 17, 2018, 04:03:21 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 17, 2018, 02:51:01 PM
That reveals a lot about you.

That line was popular back in the 1960s, as best I can tell. So it's been around awhile.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 41

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Hurricane Rex

Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised on how the Beavers are doing so far this year. We're at 11-4 and perfect on pac 12 play with our last 3 being UCLA, USC and U of O (don't quote as I'm terrible with schedules). Current streak is W4. That's just our men. Our women are top 10.
Diaclaimer: I go to school at OSU.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ET21

Quote from: ET21 on November 14, 2018, 08:51:57 AM
My two programs are ND and NIU,

So far for both men's and women's:

NIU
Men's: 1-1
Women's: 1-1

ND
Men's: 2-0
Women's: Ranked #1, 2-0

Update:

NIU
Men's: 10-6, 3-0 MAC
Women's: 9-6, 1-2 MAC

ND
Men's: 11-5, 1-2 ACC
Women's: Ranked #1 16-1, 4-0 ACC
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Hurricane Rex

Yesterday I went to the OSU vs the UW game. (Rage warning) SINCE WHEN IS IT NOT A FOUL TO PUSH SOMEONE ON THEIR FACE OUT OF BOUNDS? AND WHEN DID BLOCKING AN AIRBALL BE CONSIDERED A FOUL? OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER GETTING THE BALL, SHOOTING IS TRAVELLING IF YOU TAKE ONE STEP? Yes I'm salty, and I still think OSU would've lost but by golly refs, you really messed up there.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: US 41 on November 17, 2018, 10:17:36 AM
I can't believe than Connecticut is still in the American Athletic (aka the old Big East). They should be in the ACC in my opinion.

As a UConn fan, I totally agree.  However, you can thank Senator Blumenthal's fight to keep Boston College from leaving the Big East for the ACC as the reason that it didn't happen.  They've been that one player in musical chairs that didn't get the seat every time the music stopped.  Another problem is that UConn cut off its nose to spite its face by trying to go big in football.  The program has been an absolute flop for the past few years, and as a result, their blue chip basketball program has suffered.  Mens basketball has gone from blue blood to mid-major also ran in 5 years, and while womens basketball is still among the top tier schools (the bloom has fallen off the rose this year with 2 losses so far), the school is  stuck in a conference that is a glorified Conference USA with the nearest school being 250 miles away, and only 3 schools within a 1000 mile radius of Storrs.  There has been outcry for the basketball program to join Big East 2.0 and rekindle its old rivalries with 'Nova, Georgetown, PC, Seton Hall, and the Johnnies.  Many have even suggested the football program return to FCS, but the problem with that is that there has been too much invested in facilities to try to bring the team up to FBS level.  However, they play in an almost empty stadium (I'll bet there wasn't more than 5000 people at the last home game; more people go for the tailgate than actually enter the stadium).  With the failure of the football program, it has really hurt its chances of ever gaining Power 5 status, and talks have been extrememly quiet lately about it, especially given the awful economic climate in this state.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Hurricane Rex

Was at the OSU vs U of O game. Good game but the ducks just lost their chance for the one seed.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 20, 2019, 10:36:02 AM
Was at the OSU vs U of O game. Good game but the ducks just lost their chance for the one seed.

LG-TP260

Yeah, OSU has just fallen off a cliff since 2018 became 2019
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 20, 2019, 04:04:18 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 20, 2019, 10:36:02 AM

Yeah, OSU has just fallen off a cliff since 2018 became 2019

I think you misunderstand. The beavers (ranked #12) beat the ducks (ranked #2). The ducks also had a 17 game winning streak (I believe). The beaves have gotten slightly worse since last year, but one of their star players have been injured since PAC 12 play started so that makes it a wash. In mens bb, they've gotten much better getting #2 in the PAC 12 as of right now, the first time in many years (I believe 1999 was the last but I'm uncertain). Football on the other hand, where is the D line? Baseball hit a high last year I'm not sure any year can match that. Women's XC went to nationals for the first time since the programs revival. We are actually in a good spot right now.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

nexus73

What I am looking forward to is seeing if the Pac-12 can do better than an 0-fer in the NCAA's.  Last year's showing combined with a bowl season where the Pac-12 won just one time to take this proud conference down a long ways.  At least this time around the Pac-12 won a few bowl games, barely.  Right now I would take a 1 point OT win over a #16 seed and call it good!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

1995hoo

Zion Williamson is a decent player when he keeps his shoe on.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ET21

NIU made it's first semi-final MAC appearance in 16 years last night. Nice surprise from my alma mater!  :paranoid:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CNGL-Leudimin

Okay, is about time, the March Madness is just around the corner. Alabama A&M and Florida A&M were impeded to take part in this due to failing to meet the required Academic Progress Rate, while California Baptist and North Alabama are reclassifying. This is the first year ever where the catchphrase I used until last year, that no 16 seed had beaten a top seed, is no longer valid thanks to UMBC. Still, that's only one out of dozens of games played. Also, this year I won't be mock-upping the tournament after three years doing so. And I congratulate Gardner-Webb for making their first March Madness ever.

I now proceed announce the names of the venues as I'll know them. Remember I refuse to use sponsored names, and such names that differ from the official ones are in bold.
First Four:
Dayton: UD Arena

First and Second Rounds:
Hartford: Hartford Civic Center
Des Moines: Iowa Events Center Arena
Jacksonville: Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena
Salt Lake City: Salt Lake Ice Center
Columbia: Carolina Center
Columbus: Blue Jackets Arena
Tulsa: Tulsa Arena
San Jose: The Shark Tank

Regional Semifinals and Finals (the finals a.k.a. "quarter-finals" by me):
Anaheim: Pond of Anaheim (I referred to this as "Anaheim Arena" in a previous March Madness, but "Pond of Anaheim" was later and also sponsorless)
Louisville: Louisville Arena
Washington DC: Wizards Arena
Kansas City: Downtown Arena

Final Four:
Minneapolis: Vikings Stadium

PS: You know why I'm going with UMBC for the America East Tournament title (and thus the March Madness auto berth of that conference) tomorrow :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kevinb1994

Jacksonville is back in the spotlight for this year's March Madness tournament, should make for good television here.

nexus73

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 15, 2019, 07:09:14 PM
Okay, is about time, the March Madness is just around the corner. Alabama A&M and Florida A&M were impeded to take part in this due to failing to meet the required Academic Progress Rate, while California Baptist and North Alabama are reclassifying. This is the first year ever where the catchphrase I used until last year, that no 16 seed had beaten a top seed, is no longer valid thanks to UMBC. Still, that's only one out of dozens of games played. Also, this year I won't be mock-upping the tournament after three years doing so. And I congratulate Gardner-Webb for making their first March Madness ever.

I now proceed announce the names of the venues as I'll know them. Remember I refuse to use sponsored names, and such names that differ from the official ones are in bold.
First Four:

First and Second Rounds:
San Jose: San Jose Arena

Anaheim: Pond of Anaheim (I referred to this as "Anaheim Arena" in a previous March Madness, but "Pond of Anaheim" was later and also sponsorless)

Final Four:

PS: You know why I'm going with UMBC for the America East Tournament title (and thus the March Madness auto berth of that conference) tomorrow :sombrero:.

Craziest sponsor name IMO: Monster Park.  Some corporations should not be putting their names on stadiums and arenas!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

ilpt4u

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 15, 2019, 07:09:14 PM

First Four:

First and Second Rounds:
San Jose: San Jose Arena

Final Four:

How about "The Shark Tank"  for the San Jose Arena, instead of its Sponsored name? It is a 2nd name for the facility, which is Home Ice for the San Jose Sharks of the NHL

CNGL-Leudimin

Thanks for the suggestion. I've changed it.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kevinb1994

FYI our Vet Arena here in Jacksonville is now sponsored by our very own credit union, VyStar. This is up-to-date as of this month.

csw

See y'all in Hartford. Go Boilers.

CNGL-Leudimin

I also congratulate Abilene Christian for making it in their second year of elegibility. Too bad UMBC failed to get in, I would have predicted one win from them...

Here's a recap of newcomers in the last decade. Remember I refuse to recognize 2013 March Madness at all as there is no official winner.
2010: Arkansas Pine Bluff, Wofford
2011: Northern Colorado
2012: Norfolk State, North Dakota State
2013: Florida Gulf Coast (No March Madness)
2014: Cal Poly, NC Central
2015: Buffalo, North Florida, UC Irvine
2016: Cal State Bakersfield, Florida Gulf Coast (first appearance on a March Madness recognized by me), Stony Brook
2017: Jacksonville State, North Dakota, Northern Kentucky (on their first year of elegibility!), Northwestern (at-large), UC Davis
2018: Lipscomb
2019: Abilene Christian, Gardner Webb

nexus73

Oregon is a hot team right now.  I like their chances to make the Sweet Sixteen.  Unlike previous Duck squads, this one thrives on D instead of the three.  Had Oregon stayed hot from behind the arc in a couple tournaments, they would have taken the title but the inevitable cold spell comes along to say "season over".  At least playing solid defense with timely shooting from long range can cut down the swings from hot to cold. 

Rick

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 16, 2019, 11:58:34 AM
FYI our Vet Arena here in Jacksonville is now sponsored by our very own credit union, VyStar. This is up-to-date as of this month.

The previous name has been bolded, as it is the sponsorless name I recognize. Now the First Four Arena in Dayton is the only arena I know by its official name thanks to no sponsorship.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.