News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Not US holidays by tiers

Started by hbelkins, January 22, 2019, 02:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on January 22, 2019, 12:30:10 PM

Super Sunday.  Everybody, even people who don't like the NFL, watches the game, often at a party. 

I haven't watched a Super Bowl since the last time the Bungles were in it, which was (I think) 1989. And you couldn't pay me to watch the NFL now until the commissioner grows a set and deals with the anti-Americanism emanating from the sidelines. I gave up the Bengals for NASCAR about 25 or so years ago, and quite honestly I'm getting ready to drop NASCAR for a Sunday afternoon nap unless they make a lot of changes to get the racing back as good as it used to be.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Super Sunday.  Everybody, even people who don't like the NFL, watches the game, often at a party. 

Maybe in some parts of the country, but others couldn't care less about the game.  I, for one, see no reason to watch it as my team has never been to a Super Bowl (and probably won't until after the eventual heat death of the universe).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on January 22, 2019, 03:01:10 PM

Maybe in some parts of the country, but others couldn't care less about the game.  I, for one, see no reason to watch it as my team has never been to a Super Bowl (and probably won't until after the eventual heat death of the universe).
People who smugly state "Oh, is there some sort of game today?" on Super Bowl Sunday are almost as insufferable as people who smugly state that they don't own a television or, once upon a time, would smugly state that they only watch PBS.  Watch it or don't, who cares?

Roadgeekteen

The sb is more of an event than a game. People watch it who don't care about football because of the halftime show.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Big John

^^ there are those who watch the SB solely for its commercials.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on January 22, 2019, 02:47:24 PM

I haven't watched a Super Bowl since the last time the Bungles were in it, which was (I think) 1989. And you couldn't pay me to watch the NFL now until the commissioner grows a set and deals with the anti-Americanism emanating from the sidelines.

Name what's happened this year on the sidelines. 

That was an issue in 2017.  In 2018, anyone still bugging about it is reflecting on 2017.

Quote from: Big John on January 22, 2019, 03:38:16 PM

After a number of big years (thanks Budweiser, I think), notable commercials have really dropped in popularity.  And I've enjoyed most of the halftime shows, even though people will always say "(whoever is playing) sucks, why don't they have (another performer that many other people will say sucks)".

inkyatari

Hell.  No.

I hate football, and I've only ever been to one football party, and I went into a different room where the game wasn't on.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

Or for the National Anthem.  Or so they can get offended at National Anthem protests.  Or because it's what their friends are doing and they like to go to parties.  People have many reasons to watch the Super Bowl.

inkyatari

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 22, 2019, 03:41:40 PM

After a number of big years (thanks Budweiser, I think), notable commercials have really dropped in popularity.  And I've enjoyed most of the halftime shows, even though people will always say "(whoever is playing) sucks, why don't they have (another performer that many other people will say sucks)".

The only way to even get me interested in the half time show would be to have Weird Al do it.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on January 22, 2019, 03:43:39 PM
The only way to even get me interested in the half time show would be to have Weird Al do it.

That would be freaking awesome!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Could sing about football injuries with "Living with a Hernia"

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2019, 03:46:07 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on January 22, 2019, 03:43:39 PM

That would be freaking awesome!
It'd be cool if it was a medley of song parodies originally performed by artists that are former halftime show performers.

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 22, 2019, 03:32:06 PM

The sb is more of an event than a game. People watch it who don't care about football because of the halftime show.

Why would I want to watch a game, even the halftime show, with the deflatable Patriots in it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on January 22, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Why would I want to watch a game, even the halftime show, with the deflatable Patriots in it?
To root against the Pats.  That's what I've done the past two years and what I'll do this year.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 22, 2019, 04:30:48 PM

To root against the Pats.  That's what I've done the past two years and what I'll do this year.

Why would I want to root for an LA team?

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on January 22, 2019, 04:32:04 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 22, 2019, 04:30:48 PM

Why would I want to root for an LA team?
Because they're playing the Pats.

Brandon

Quote from: ftballfan on January 23, 2019, 09:18:45 AM
Brandon, I take it you're a Lions fan. Forward down the field!

Got the paper bag with the holes cut out for the eyes.

slorydn1

With the exception of Super Bowls XX and XLI, that would be me.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 28, 2019, 02:02:28 PM

Bears fan in North Carolina?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 28, 2019, 02:46:20 PM

A former co-worker of mine, who's lived in Kentucky all his life, was a Bears fan.

And don't get me started on all the Dallas Cowgirls fans that aren't in Texas.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on January 28, 2019, 07:34:14 PM

We have many of them in the D.C. area, such as Justice Thomas. For many, it's their way of rooting against their division rival the R*dsk*ns. For some, it goes waaay back to an openly racist former owner of that team.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Roadgeekteen

A former co-worker of mine, who's lived in Kentucky all his life, was a Bears fan.

Well Kentucky doesn't have a team.

Takumi

Cowboys and Steelers fans have a nationwide presence.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 28, 2019, 09:28:01 PM

Well Kentucky doesn't have a team.

For most of Kentucky, the natural geographical team to support would be the Bungles. I'm told that before the Bungles came along, the Browns were very popular in eastern and central Kentucky. For the western part of the state, it was traditionally St. Louis when that city had an NFL team. The Tennessee Titans have siphoned some of the fans away, though, because of Nashville's proximity to much of western and west-central and south-central Kentucky. There are also a few Indianapolis Colts fan pockets along the Ohio River.

For baseball, most of Kentucky was Reds country for decades, with the western parts of the state gravitating to the Cardinals and/or Cubs. But when WTBS, Channel 17 out of Atlanta, got on so many cable systems with their Braves games, a lot of younger folks abandoned the Reds for the Braves. And the Cubs have gained a lot of bandwagon fans in the past few years in this area.

But the number of Kentuckians who are Alabama Crimson Tide football fans just astonishes me.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on January 29, 2019, 10:51:42 AM

For most of Kentucky, the natural geographical team to support would be the Bungles. I'm told that before the Bungles came along, the Browns were very popular in eastern and central Kentucky. For the western part of the state, it was traditionally St. Louis when that city had an NFL team. The Tennessee Titans have siphoned some of the fans away, though, because of Nashville's proximity to much of western and west-central and south-central Kentucky. There are also a few Indianapolis Colts fan pockets along the Ohio River.

Relative to the Browns, back in the day, before the AFL-NFL merger, the NFL teams had a highly regionalized system where you pretty much got "your" team for the one and only game, and the entire Ohio Valley (outside Pittsburgh, of course) was considered Browns
territory. 

Similarly, the Redskins claimed the entire south.  You still find Redskins fans 1000s of miles from DC.

RANT:  In my TV market, which includes parts of WV, OH, and KY, the Bengals are, by FAR, the home team.  But the local CBS station, which was owned by a Steelers fan until recently and is now corporate, carries the f***ing bandwagoners' team, the vile and repugnant Steelers, every week. 

For baseball, most of Kentucky was Reds country for decades, with the western parts of the state gravitating to the Cardinals and/or Cubs. But when WTBS, Channel 17 out of Atlanta, got on so many cable systems with their Braves games, a lot of younger folks abandoned the Reds for the Braves. And the Cubs have gained a lot of bandwagon fans in the past few years in this area.

You describe my part of WV as well.  But the Braves fandom is a particular group, people who were in their youth during the WTBS era.  No one younger or older, and the fandom is falling away as the Braves special situation is long over, the Reds are reclaiming their status as the universal team.

But the number of Kentuckians who are Alabama Crimson Tide football fans just astonishes me.

I see that as a unique to the SEC thing.  Unlike other conferences, after their team is out, they root for the champions (Alabama football - Kentucky basketball in most years) against the rest of the nation.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.