AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Brooklyn-Queens Expressway  (Read 13392 times)

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: December 07, 2019, 06:54:22 PM
Brooklyn-Queens Expressway
« on: March 23, 2019, 12:09:53 AM »

So lately I've heard that engineers want to tear down and rebuild the triple-cantilevered stretch of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway in NYC that includes the Brooklyn Heights Promenade and the Brooklyn Bridge Park. I've seen multiple proposals for it, from reconstructing the BQE in its original form to tearing down the BQE entirely. Here are some of the proposals I read about for rebuilding this highway:

You can also read about the proposals here:
https://ny.curbed.com/2019/3/12/18248873/brooklyn-heights-bqe-repair-dot

I'm pretty saddened by the fact NYCDOT only announced the first two options at their public meeting in 2018, when there are so many other options out there. The new options (including the ones presented by Comptroller Scott Stringer and Council Speaker Corey Johnson, who I heard were also running for mayor) were announced just recently, and personally I think they are much better than the options given by NYCDOT. I'm wondering which proposal you think is best, or if there's something else you have in mind, you can share it here as well.
Forget the I-41 haters

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: Brooklyn-Queens Expressway
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 02:53:42 AM »

There were also other tunnel proposals, none of which are financially feasible.

Ben114

• yep that's me

• Last Login: Today at 10:12:48 PM
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 10:43:30 AM »

Personally, I'd want either 3 or 4.

3 because I think the High Line was a success.

4 because there are other ways for traffic.

AMLNet49

• Last Login: February 27, 2020, 05:35:37 PM
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 11:39:11 AM »

#4 will never happen because that would be the end of 278 which was a very difficulty interstate to patch together, but it was done for a reason, so that there is a through-route that goes through the city.  They can't just arbitrarily get rid of something so macro because some people on a certain part of its route don't like it. Totally different scenario than I-895 in the Bronx, where the road was basically a stub, or I-81 in Syracuse, where alternative routings for I-81 are possible

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: March 12, 2024, 03:26:46 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 03:52:23 PM »

I can't stand this crap....you can't just tear down an expressway and magically go back to a time when there was less traffic and be in happy land. 

Most interstates were built in cities b/c most cities had bad traffic even before they were built! And now, where would all today's traffic go!?!  NYC doesn't have enough expressways as it is, some sections aren't even served by one. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »

I can't stand this crap....you can't just tear down an expressway and magically go back to a time when there was less traffic and be in happy land. 

Most interstates were built in cities b/c most cities had bad traffic even before they were built! And now, where would all today's traffic go!?!  NYC doesn't have enough expressways as it is, some sections aren't even served by one.

Most people in NYC don't even drive, so I'm sure they're not gonna want another expressway tearing through their neighborhood like in the days of Robert Moses. Building another expressway isn't going to magically solve NYC's traffic problem; if anything it's going to make it worse.

I agree though that option #4 isn't really feasible, given the truck traffic using the highway.
Forget the I-41 haters

DJStephens

• Last Login: Today at 11:53:34 AM
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »

Moses' personal statements and behaviors at times did not help.  "Chopping Through with a Meat Axe" is a statement attributed to him.   Have always believed NYC would have been better off overall if the crossmanhattan and Lomex facilities had indeed been built, as either tunneled or depressed routes as much as possible.   

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »

Most people in NYC don't even drive, so I'm sure they're not gonna want another expressway tearing through their neighborhood like in the days of Robert Moses. Building another expressway isn't going to magically solve NYC's traffic problem; if anything it's going to make it worse.

I agree though that option #4 isn't really feasible, given the truck traffic using the highway.

"Most people in NYC don't drive" is probably inaccurate unless you equate "Manhattan" with "NYC." In the other four boroughs a lot of people own cars, especially because there are plenty of areas that are poorly served, or not served at all, by the subway. It's fair to say city residents might be less likely to drive for routine errands than is the case in many other places, but to say they "don't drive" isn't really accurate.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 05:10:23 PM »

"Most people in NYC don't drive" is probably inaccurate unless you equate "Manhattan" with "NYC." In the other four boroughs a lot of people own cars, especially because there are plenty of areas that are poorly served, or not served at all, by the subway. It's fair to say city residents might be less likely to drive for routine errands than is the case in many other places, but to say they "don't drive" isn't really accurate.

Ok that's a fair argument. But from what I heard, people in NYC as a whole still don't drive as much as people in other cities, especially because of the people living in areas widely served by transit.

I found that the majority of car owners in NYC live in Queens and Staten Island, and even they don't regularly commute by car as much as people in other cities. Here's the data I found:
https://www.nycedc.com/blog-entry/new-yorkers-and-their-cars
Forget the I-41 haters

1995hoo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »

Ok that's a fair argument. But from what I heard, people in NYC as a whole still don't drive as much as people in other cities, especially because of the people living in areas widely served by transit.

I found that the majority of car owners in NYC live in Queens and Staten Island, and even they don't regularly commute by car as much as people in other cities. Here's the data I found:

Oh, I definitely don't disagree with any of that. My only quibble was with "most people in NYC don't drive." I construed that as "don't drive at all."

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »

Oh, I definitely don't disagree with any of that. My only quibble was with "most people in NYC don't drive." I construed that as "don't drive at all."

Well certainly some don't drive at all. For those that live in an area with good subway access, why drive when you can just take the subway?
Forget the I-41 haters

1995hoo

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 06:48:16 PM »

Well certainly some don't drive at all. For those that live in an area with good subway access, why drive when you can just take the subway?

Maybe they want to go places the subway doesn't go, including places outside New York City? One of my aunts used to live in Bay Ridge about three blocks from the last stop on the RR, but she drove regularly enough, including if she wanted to visit her daughter (my cousin) in New Jersey. (My aunt now lives in a part of Queens that's not particularly close to either a bus or subway stop.)

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 07:55:49 PM
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 10:35:38 PM »

Here I am hoping that someday the Midtown Manhattan freeway is built albeit in a new elevated form like Tokyo’s urban freeways.

Absolutely no to any proposal tearing down the freeway; that is extremely shortsighted. I’m more open to ideas about tunneling it and building an urban BLVD or green space on top. I like the idea of rebuilding it better. Even more so would be rebuilding it and adding capacity with a double deck possibly being tolled express lanes, but in todays political climate when it comes to adding freeway capacity in urban cities, that is a non starter. I support Alt. 1.

As for the fact they don’t want a freeway “tearing”  through their neighborhoods, most people don’t. But it is a necessary piece of infrastructure and it has to go somewhere. If it bothers you that much there are other places to live. This freeway is obviously well used and needed.

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 02:03:16 AM »

As for the fact they don’t want a freeway “tearing”  through their neighborhoods, most people don’t. But it is a necessary piece of infrastructure and it has to go somewhere. If it bothers you that much there are other places to live. This freeway is obviously well used and needed.

If the construction of a new freeway causes hundreds, if not thousands, of people to move, where would they all go? It's not that easy to find new housing in big cities nowadays, especially with the affordable housing crisis we have today. We don't have enough new homes and apartments being built to match the ones potentially being torn down by new freeways, at the same price that homeowners and renters currently have.

Some people don't want to or can't afford to move somewhere else because of the rent they're currently paying, and some of them might have jobs close by so if they have to move somewhere farther away they might not be able to get there easily. There are people who have spent their lives in these neighborhoods and don't want to leave. There's a lot more to building freeways through cities than you realize. This is why urban planners and highway engineers try to avoid as much displacement as they can while thinking about these sort of highway projects.

If you're suggesting to expand the BQE I don't think there's any place you could feasibly expand it in without cutting into the Promenade or Brooklyn Bridge Park.
Forget the I-41 haters

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 07:55:49 PM
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 06:12:07 AM »

^^^ the issue of housing shortages merits its own debate entirely, but in short, Ive always wondered why if demand is so high that developers aren’t building more than they currently are. It isn’t the governments job to provide housing but it is their job to provide infrastructure. One could make an argument that by not adding the proper capacity and alternative transit modes to urban and suburban areas(allowing for more sprawl) that the government is partially to blame for the housing crisis by this fact alone.

I don’t support government build housing nor do I support rent control. With that said, we as a society will need to address the issue of urban housing costs as they are getting out of control. It’s a matter of time before flyover cities see the same insane housing costs that plague the coastal cities. This can only go on for so long. Eventually something is going to give.

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 09:55:53 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 08:57:00 AM »

Ive always wondered why if demand is so high that developers aren’t building more than they currently are.

Far more often than not, the reason is a combination of zoning limitations and NIMBYs.

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 10:14:03 PM
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 01:59:39 PM »

I would support replacing the existing BQE with a tunnel, but since that will never happen (like the actually-proposed Gowanus Expressway tunnel being canceled in 2011), hopefully something will be done to improve the expressway (possibly wider lanes, improved off and on ramps, etc.). 

roadman

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 12:52:55 PM
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 04:03:51 PM »

Moses' personal statements and behaviors at times did not help.  "Chopping Through with a Meat Axe" is a statement attributed to him.   Have always believed NYC would have been better off overall if the crossmanhattan and Lomex facilities had indeed been built, as either tunneled or depressed routes as much as possible.   

A tunnel is merely a tiled vehicular bathroom smelling faintly of monoxide. - Robert Moses
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 11:49:15 PM »

A tunnel is merely a tiled vehicular bathroom smelling faintly of monoxide. - Robert Moses

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 09:55:53 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »

^ But will still poison you nonetheless...

I believe the quote was intended to highlight Moses' aversion to tunnels.  Remember, he wanted a bridge for the Brooklyn-Battery.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 07:09:32 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 11:32:34 PM »

I believe the quote was intended to highlight Moses' aversion to tunnels.  Remember, he wanted a bridge for the Brooklyn-Battery.
This is true. Either way, when I was in Brooklyn recently capturing images of random subway stations, I found a bunch of posters and slightly larger ads for an advocacy group trying to stop the planned reconstruction of the BQE. They were posted mainly in the vicinity of the Hotel St. George, and their slogan was "We Need a Better Way Than a 6-Lane Expressway."
https://abetterway.nyc/

No, what you need is to stop trying to destroy 6-lane Expressways.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 01:44:02 AM »

This is true. Either way, when I was in Brooklyn recently capturing images of random subway stations, I found a bunch of posters and slightly larger ads for an advocacy group trying to stop the planned reconstruction of the BQE. They were posted mainly in the vicinity of the Hotel St. George, and their slogan was "We Need a Better Way Than a 6-Lane Expressway."

No, they do need a better way than a 6-lane expressway. Like a 10-lane tunnel.

Verlanka

• Last Login: October 08, 2020, 05:43:14 AM
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »

That's true, but where will they put the tunnel?

ixnay

• Last Login: Today at 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 08:38:17 AM »

Did Bob want a tunnel where the QMT is?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 07:09:32 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »

You know what, Steve? I actually don't mind the idea of a tunnel, even if it's 8-lanes. Give them a decent clearance level, and they could still work for higher trucks and buses. What I do mind is the idea of demolishing the expressway and creating a freeway gap in the false pretense of saving their neighborhood.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.