News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

TX: US 81/287 Upgrades in Progress North of Fort Worth

Started by Brian556, September 10, 2016, 10:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

There are at least some real plans at upgrading US-287 to Interstate standards from the split with I-35W up to the interchange with TX-114 in Rhome. After that there are only modest spot upgrades proposed between Rhome and Decatur. No upgrades on US-287 appear to be planned at all within Decatur itself. Then there is a modest single interchange being proposed North of the flashing yellow lights at the Old Chico Road intersection. That's about it.

It's pretty shocking how fast new homes and other commercial structures are getting built North and Northwest of Fort Worth. There is some new 2/2024 imagery in Google Earth that shows areas around US-287 North of Fort Worth just getting packed in with new homes FAST. This growth is spreading toward Decatur. Traffic counts within the vicinity of the metro are going to keep rising.

The US-287 projects I mentioned between I-35W and TX-114 won't begin construction until 2026 (if they are funded). If TX DOT started drafting plans right now on US-287 upgrade designs North of Decatur it would probably be 2030 before any actual work began. The way that region of North Texas is growing that segment of US-287 between Decatur and Alvord could really be covered up in a bunch of commercial development. It could be a real mess and traffic hazard before long.

Honestly, US-287 should have been Interstate quality from at least I-35W to the existing freeway bypassing Bowie years ago. Upgrades are overdue.

Rothman

Huh.  I was wondering about home building near Fort Worth.  A friend had been benefitting from the real estate market in that area.

Have to say it helped in her recent divorce, but she moved back to be near family in Utah...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.