News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Austin: IH 35 rebuild

Started by MaxConcrete, April 25, 2019, 12:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Quote from: DenverBrian on March 17, 2022, 01:58:08 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 17, 2022, 09:57:22 AM
Apparently according to this article TxDOT didn't realize a building existed right next to the central part of this project because they only use Bing and Google:
QuoteThat's because the transportation agency officials said they rely on Travis County Appraisal District maps, Google images and Bing. When reviewing those maps, Aria Grand did not exist. It was just a vacant plot of land. The 70-unit housing complex opened in early 2020

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/concerns-surrounding-future-of-buildings-lining-i-35-as-txdot-moves-forward-with-expansion-plans/

Is this really a thing? A multi billion project is to be built and when planning they don't even send surveyors in person or drones to to see what's nearby?
In the 2000s, there was a brand new set of townhomes built near I-25 in Denver between Broadway and University. I actually considered one of these to buy.

The T-Rex project demolished these townhomes about three years after they were built.

Sometimes, developers build solely to be eventually bought out.....https://www.google.com/maps/place/Renaissance+At+Allendale/@32.5006408,-93.7612936,18.25z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x86312a8d1798e91f:0x2ebd2c1687a49cdd!2sShreveport,+LA!3b1!8m2!3d32.5251516!4d-93.7501789!3m4!1s0x8636cd2943a742a1:0x261b1b7647d1e013!8m2!3d32.5011414!4d-93.7603087
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

J N Winkler

TxDOT has advertised what appears to be the south section (SH 71 south to SH 45 SE) for bid opening this May, as CCSJ 0015-13-077 in Travis County.  It is a large plans set, with over 4000 sheets packed into seven downloadable files that aggregate to 3.43 GB.  In areas where the managed lanes are not at the same level as the general-purpose lanes, they are on a viaduct running down the center, similar to the Harbor Transitway along the Harbor Freeway (I-110) just north of SR 91 in south Los Angeles.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kernals12

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 19, 2022, 04:31:36 PM
TxDOT has advertised what appears to be the south section (SH 71 south to SH 45 SE) for bid opening this May, as CCSJ 0015-13-077 in Travis County.  It is a large plans set, with over 4000 sheets packed into seven downloadable files that aggregate to 3.43 GB.  In areas where the managed lanes are not at the same level as the general-purpose lanes, they are on a viaduct running down the center, similar to the Harbor Transitway along the Harbor Freeway (I-110) just north of SR 91 in south Los Angeles.

Same thing for the planned i-35 widening (heightening?) In San Antonio

sprjus4

Quote from: kernals12 on April 19, 2022, 04:48:20 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 19, 2022, 04:31:36 PM

Same thing for the planned i-35 widening (heightening?) In San Antonio
Not exactly... I believe the plans call for elevated lanes on two separate viaducts over the outside portion of the roadway, not the center.

MaxConcrete

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/bidtab/05053202.htm
Bids were opened today for the work on the south side of Austin between SH71/US 290 and SH 45.

The low bid is $144 million (35.5%) above the estimate. Given the complexity of this project, with the long elevated managed lanes and constricted work zone, I was expecting a big overrun.
The low bid on a job on Loop 375 in El Paso was 34.4% over estimate. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/bidtab/05043002.htm
I'm inclined to think that TxDOT will take the low bid for IH-35 in Austin and press forward, since delaying the project for a rebid will likely result in an even higher price due to inflation. For El Paso, I think it is possible they may reduce scope and rebid.

County:   TRAVIS   Let Date:   05/05/22
Type:   WIDEN ROAD - ADD LANES   Seq No:   3202
Time:   1504 WORKING DAYS   Project ID:   F 2022(340)
Highway:   IH 35   Contract #:   05223202
Length:   22.532   CCSJ:   0015-13-077
Limits:   
To:   SH 45 SE   Misc Cost:   
Estimate   $404,029,774.77   % Over/Under   Company
Bidder 1   $547,603,209.85   +35.54%   FLUOR HEAVY CIVIL, LLC
Bidder 2   $569,278,526.69   +40.90%   WEBBER, LLC
Bidder 3   $582,684,732.35   +44.22%   PULICE CONSTRUCTION, INC.
Bidder 4   $617,263,345.25   +52.78%   ARCHER WESTERN CONSTRUCTION, LLC
SUNDT CONSTRUCTION, INC.
Bidder 5   $626,751,415.84   +55.13%   WILLIAMS BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION CO., INC.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Plutonic Panda

^^^^ at this point TxDOT may as well just plan for these overruns in their budget.

MaxConcrete

TxDOT is soliciting for consultants for 5 miles of new drainage tunnels for the central project. See pages 22 and 23.

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/ppd/meetings/051922/presentation.pdf

Target start of construction is March 2024. No cost estimate is provided but this won't be cheap.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

kernals12

Why can't TxDOT open up the express lanes to single occupancy vehicles during non-peak hours?

bwana39

Quote from: kernals12 on May 28, 2022, 12:47:59 AM
Why can't TxDOT open up the express lanes to single occupancy vehicles during non-peak hours?

In DFW, the TOLL HO lanes are open for a price at any time.  Getting the HO discount (to as little as free) is  a bigger problem. 

Henry

Quote from: bwana39 on March 21, 2022, 12:52:09 AM
Quote from: DenverBrian on March 17, 2022, 01:58:08 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 17, 2022, 09:57:22 AM
Apparently according to this article TxDOT didn't realize a building existed right next to the central part of this project because they only use Bing and Google:
QuoteThat's because the transportation agency officials said they rely on Travis County Appraisal District maps, Google images and Bing. When reviewing those maps, Aria Grand did not exist. It was just a vacant plot of land. The 70-unit housing complex opened in early 2020

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/concerns-surrounding-future-of-buildings-lining-i-35-as-txdot-moves-forward-with-expansion-plans/

Is this really a thing? A multi billion project is to be built and when planning they don't even send surveyors in person or drones to to see what's nearby?
In the 2000s, there was a brand new set of townhomes built near I-25 in Denver between Broadway and University. I actually considered one of these to buy.

The T-Rex project demolished these townhomes about three years after they were built.

Sometimes, developers build solely to be eventually bought out.....https://www.google.com/maps/place/Renaissance+At+Allendale/@32.5006408,-93.7612936,18.25z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x86312a8d1798e91f:0x2ebd2c1687a49cdd!2sShreveport,+LA!3b1!8m2!3d32.5251516!4d-93.7501789!3m4!1s0x8636cd2943a742a1:0x261b1b7647d1e013!8m2!3d32.5011414!4d-93.7603087

It makes absolutely no sense to build something and then tear it down within a few years. I always thought that those buildings would mean a highway project has been permanently shelved, like I-49 in Allendale as depicted in the link above, although they're still trying to get that project started. I also have mixed feelings on the I-35 plans in Austin, because there is practically no space to expand traditionally, so an elevated level would have to be built (outside of what's already there). Once again, I think building up and tearing down in a short amount of time is a waste of taxpayers' money.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Bobby5280

Developers pull that crap all the time, build a housing development in a location directly in the path of where a future freeway or toll road is planned.

In Oklahoma City it's really easy to see the dopey path the modest extension of the Kilpatrick Turnpike had to take to dodge around housing properties that were allowed to build in the originally proposed path. In this case the turnpike went around the housing developments.

Over on the East side of Dallas next to I-30 several apartment complexes were built on the path of where the Bush Turnpike will be extended South. Most, if not all, of those apartment buildings will have to be cleared for the turnpike extension and expanded interchange with I-30.

thisdj78

Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 06, 2022, 05:23:15 PM

Over on the East side of Dallas next to I-30 several apartment complexes were built on the path of where the Bush Turnpike will be extended South. Most, if not all, of those apartment buildings will have to be cleared for the turnpike extension and expanded interchange with I-30.

I believe there were several apartment complexes on the north side of I-30 that had to be torn down for the current intersection. Looks like they've already started tearing down some properties south of I-30 over the last several years in prep for the extension....there's a few fields where apartments used to be with abandoned parking lots still remaining:

https://goo.gl/maps/djufcgyAp7ksHPeY7

EDIT: Nevermind, I just remembered that a Tornado did some of the work for them several years ago:

https://www.weather.gov/images/fwd/dec26outbreak/img/tracks/sgr_tor.png

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: thisdj78 on June 06, 2022, 06:25:19 PM

I believe there were several apartment complexes on the north side of I-30 that had to be torn down for the current intersection. Looks like they've already started tearing down some properties south of I-30 over the last several years in prep for the extension....there's a few fields where apartments used to be with abandoned parking lots still remaining:

Still on I-30 a little bit further east, GSV show some works on ones of the Ray Hubbard Lake bridges. https://goo.gl/maps/EWHDL5gb872mijBs5  Are they already beginned to build the spans for the services roads so I-30 will have continuous service roads between TX-190 and Rockwall?

kernals12

Developers pull that crap all the time, build a housing development in a location directly in the path of where a future freeway or toll road is planned.

In Oklahoma City it's really easy to see the dopey path the modest extension of the Kilpatrick Turnpike had to take to dodge around housing properties that were allowed to build in the originally proposed path. In this case the turnpike went around the housing developments.

This was the plot of L.A. Noire

bwana39

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 06, 2022, 06:40:11 PM

Still on I-30 a little bit further east, GSV show some works on ones of the Ray Hubbard Lake bridges. https://goo.gl/maps/EWHDL5gb872mijBs5  Are they already beginned to build the spans for the services roads so I-30 will have continuous service roads between TX-190 and Rockwall?

Initially from Bass Pro Drive to the Rockwall county line. (Dalrock Road). As I understand it, the Rockwall county portion is to be bid later this year.

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot-info/dal/i30-expansion-fact-sheet.pdf

bwana39

EDIT: Nevermind, I just remembered that a Tornado did some of the work for them several years ago:

The Savings and Loan Scandal was based on the initial building on the then unremarkable space directly south of I-30 and where PGBT ends now. Back in the early / mid eighties, this area was covered by moderately high-end townhomes. Some were unfinished. Some were completed before the meltdown. Some others were purchased and finished as apartments. In the past decade or so, they have come in and filled it out in apartments.

There are some gaps where the tornado came through. The thought is that any extension of PGBT will go back toward Beltline as opposed ot going straight.

Bobby5280

All of the plans I've seen for the PGBT extension keep showing it extending directly south of the current PGBT end at I-30. I think the act of shifting the PGBT alignment farther West, closer to Beltline Road, would be much more disruptive. The neighborhoods by I-30 are much thicker with homes there. Plus the exits for Lyons Road, Rosehill Road and Beltline leave no room to squeeze in ramps for a "Y" interchange.

One thing is certain: the more time the NTTA wastes the harder it will be to build any extension of the PGBT South of I-30. That undeveloped green space next to Lake Ray Hubbard is going to eventually fill in with new homes and apartment buildings.

MaxConcrete

A lawsuit has been filed against the project.
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/TxDOT-I35-expansion-lawsuit-Austin-Texas-17269175.php

QuoteThe Texas Department of Transportation is being sued over the I-35 expansion project in Austin. The lawsuit was filed Sunday, June 26, at a federal court in Travis County by Rethink35, Texas Public Interest Research Group (TexPIRG), and Environment Texas. The suit names both TxDOT and its Executive Director Marc Williams as defendants.

"By splitting its I-35 project into separate parts, TxDOT is clearly violating the law," TexPIRG Environment Campaigns Director Matt Casale said in a press release on Monday, June 27.

The groups allege in the lawsuit that TxDOT has "improperly divided" the I-35 expansion project into three segments and that TxDOT is avoiding "more rigorous, legally required environmental review and public engagement of a single larger project" by dividing it up into "independent utilities."
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

kernals12

Quote from: MaxConcrete on June 28, 2022, 09:45:44 AM
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/TxDOT-I35-expansion-lawsuit-Austin-Texas-17269175.php

QuoteThe Texas Department of Transportation is being sued over the I-35 expansion project in Austin. The lawsuit was filed Sunday, June 26, at a federal court in Travis County by Rethink35, Texas Public Interest Research Group (TexPIRG), and Environment Texas. The suit names both TxDOT and its Executive Director Marc Williams as defendants.

"By splitting its I-35 project into separate parts, TxDOT is clearly violating the law," TexPIRG Environment Campaigns Director Matt Casale said in a press release on Monday, June 27.

The groups allege in the lawsuit that TxDOT has "improperly divided" the I-35 expansion project into three segments and that TxDOT is avoiding "more rigorous, legally required environmental review and public engagement of a single larger project" by dividing it up into "independent utilities."

Do you think it has a shot?

Also, if you didn't know, PIRG is a cult that is notorious for exploiting its workers

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on June 28, 2022, 11:52:32 AM

Do you think it has a shot?

Also, if you didn't know, PIRG is a cult that is notorious for exploiting its workers
Although I know more than one disgruntled [enter state here]PIRG employee, this post goes too far.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Anthony_JK

Would that be the same "Rethink 35" group who wants to convert existing I-35 into a 4-lane surface boulevard? That figures.

bwana39

You better look close. There are NEW apartments being built / rebuilt along the south side of I-30 through here....

kernals12

The Ghostbuster

Although that goes completely against convential wisdom, that is a true statement. Maybe they should have gone with a BRT route along this corridor.

MaxConcrete

TxDOT held a meeting today for solicitation of consultants.
Useful info starts on page 21. https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/ppd/meetings/072022/presentation.pdf

Anticipated environmental clearance: August 2023

Section 1
Design-build, contract award: Fall 2024  (This means work would start in 2025)
North of lake to 15th Street
$1.8 billion
Estimated completion: 2030

Section 2
Design-build, contract award: Fall 2025  (This means work would start in 2026)
15th Street to US 290 north
$2.4 billion
Estimated completion: 2032

Section 3
Design-bid-build (traditional)
North of lake southward to SH 71/US 290 south
No date listed

My Observation: Awarding the contract on section 1 in 2024 seems ambitious since the ROD is anticipated in August 2023 and there is a lawsuit against the project. I think a delay is likely. But it's good to be ambitious.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.