News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in TX

Started by ethanhopkin14, July 18, 2019, 03:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

To come to think of it, even though I-49 doesn't enter Texas yet, Texas has manufactured a few I-49 shields.  That leads me to the conversation of who has what jurisdiction over State Line Drive in Texarkana.  Some times it divided right down the middle and signs on the west are definitely TxDOT and signs on the east are definitely ADOT sigs.  Then here is one of the I-49 assemblies:

https://goo.gl/maps/jx5Ea3K8MYTHMmu66

At that location of that picture, State Line Drive is 100% in Texas, but the northbound (east side of the road) signs are both ADOT and TxDOT assemblies. 

Anyway, all to say does anyone know if there has been any movement at the intersection linked?

US71

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 03, 2021, 02:08:43 PM
To come to think of it, even though I-49 doesn't enter Texas yet, Texas has manufactured a few I-49 shields.  That leads me to the conversation of who has what jurisdiction over State Line Drive in Texarkana.  Some times it divided right down the middle and signs on the west are definitely TxDOT and signs on the east are definitely ADOT sigs.  Then here is one of the I-49 assemblies:

At that location of that picture, State Line Drive is 100% in Texas, but the northbound (east side of the road) signs are both ADOT and TxDOT assemblies. 

Anyway, all to say does anyone know if there has been any movement at the intersection linked?

There is a house on the west side of 71 at I-49. I've not driven by lately, but I'm fairly sure the house is on I-49 ROW.  It's been a while since I've been down that way. If I can get a couple sunny days, I'll go see if there's anything being done.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bwana39

Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2021, 05:21:04 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 03, 2021, 02:08:43 PM

At that location of that picture, State Line Drive Avenue is 100% in Texas, but the northbound (east side of the road) signs are both ADOT and TxDOT assemblies. 

There is a house on the west side of 71 at I-49. I've not driven by lately, but I'm fairly sure the house is on I-49 ROW.  It's been a while since I've been down that way. If I can get a couple sunny days, I'll go see if there's anything being done.

There isn't anything being done and nothing in the works. This is the end of the line until Arkansas begins their construction from Richmond Ar to DeQueen. The proposed routing really is not conducive to opening it in stretches.

Someone talked about Texarkana (TX) property north of I-30 being pricey, this stretch of the road is going to run through the bottoms. Construction may run extra, but in this area  it would be just rough  land prices.  TXDOT will probably pay for most of the Red River Crossing, but ARDOT will still have to cross the Little River and a bunch of smaller streams before it gets to DeQueen.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

edwaleni

TxDOT already owns the ROW for the brief section that crosses through the state.

They are waiting until Arkansas makes a financial commitment.

bwana39

Quote from: edwaleni on February 04, 2021, 12:05:26 PM
TxDOT already owns the ROW for the brief section that crosses through the state.

The part to from the freeway end at the Arkansas State Line east of  US-71 and to the KCSRR for sure. As to past the KCS RR, are you sure of that? There doesn't appear to have been any changes out there to suggest it.  I have not been North of Summerhill (FM-1397) in around a year, but from Summerhill and CR-2320, there is no evidence of anything.  Then again, TXDOT tends to let land owners (sellers) use it if it is contiguous to other property under a common fence or field plat.

edwaleni

Quote from: bwana39 on February 04, 2021, 01:26:45 PM

The part to from the freewau end at the Arkansas State Line east of  US-71 and to the KCSRR for sure. As to past the KCS RR, are you sure of that? There doesn't appear to have been any changes out there to suggest it.  I have not been North of Summerhill (FM-1397) in around a year, but from Summerhill and CR-2320, there is no evidence of anything.  Then again, TXDOT tends to let land owners (sellers) use it if it is contiguous to other property under a common fence or field plat.

I read it in a TxDOT planning document a year or two ago.

I would imagine that they have allowed the current farmers to continue to work the land in the interim.

TnDOT allowed farmers to keep working their fields for 5-6 years north of Union City. One farmer didn't take the chance and left a 40 foot gap in his corn where the centerline was. Across the road they grew hay and then stopped planting when TnDOT warned them in advance.

bwana39

Quote from: edwaleni on February 04, 2021, 02:07:23 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on February 04, 2021, 01:26:45 PM

The part to from the freewau end at the Arkansas State Line east of  US-71 and to the KCSRR for sure. As to past the KCS RR, are you sure of that? There doesn't appear to have been any changes out there to suggest it.  I have not been North of Summerhill (FM-1397) in around a year, but from Summerhill and CR-2320, there is no evidence of anything.  Then again, TXDOT tends to let land owners (sellers) use it if it is contiguous to other property under a common fence or field plat.

I read it in a TxDOT planning document a year or two ago.

I would imagine that they have allowed the current farmers to continue to work the land in the interim.

TnDOT allowed farmers to keep working their fields for 5-6 years north of Union City. One farmer didn't take the chance and left a 40 foot gap in his corn where the centerline was. Across the road they grew hay and then stopped planting when TnDOT warned them in advance.

That is why I wondered. Like you said, the gap. It seems like in every one of these places, there is at least one seller who will not even shred or mow it. They barely fix the fences. This portion is mostly grazing land. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.