News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

I try to be sparing about complaints since they can grate even when they are justified.  Here in Wichita it has been a little cooler since the start of the month--enough that I can walk two miles at sunset without coming back in dripping with perspiration--but the daily maximum dewpoints are still above 60° F.  I predict it will take another two weeks for the really pleasant autumn weather to arrive.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

When someone corrects a misspelled word on this forum like it's the crime of century.  Like who cares if you spell ConocoPhillips as Conco or Corco or whatever.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

7/8

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2022, 10:18:44 AM
All last Tuesday everyone I've run into has led their conversations off with "it's so hot out"  amid the current heat wave.  I find those complaints to be incredibly annoying given I live in a city where 100-105F weather is common in the summer.  If something like high heat is common, what's the point of complaining about it to everyone you know?

Hot one today, huh?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: roadman65 on September 06, 2022, 05:44:18 PM
When someone corrects a misspelled word on this forum like it's the crime of century.  Like who cares if you spell ConocoPhillips as Conco or Corco or whatever.

Not specifically related, but when 95 people all point it out, like "ok, we get it, we know."
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 7/8 on September 06, 2022, 05:58:11 PM
All last Tuesday everyone I've run into has led their conversations off with "it's so hot out"  amid the current heat wave.  I find those complaints to be incredibly annoying given I live in a city where 100-105F weather is common in the summer.  If something like high heat is common, what's the point of complaining about it to everyone you know?

Hot one today, huh?

Not hot enough, seems we will only get to 112F and not match the record of 115F.  :no:

LilianaUwU

Using the term "four-way concurrency" as a substitute for a concurrency with four routes regardless of cardinal direction. To me, a "four-way concurrency" is where each of the four routes is signed a different cardinal direction.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on September 06, 2022, 04:53:31 PM

Because it's September and it is not supposed to be that hot this late?

meh.  The average high temperature in Fresno in September (91°F) is only 5°F less than the average high in August, and it's the same as the average high in June.

September 6 averages a high of 93°F.  That's the same as June 23.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on September 06, 2022, 09:39:50 PM

meh.  The average high temperature in Fresno in September (91°F) is only 5°F less than the average high in August, and it's the same as the average high in June.

September 6 averages a high of 93°F.  That's the same as June 23.

The previous all time Fresno September high before today was 111F. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2022, 09:44:02 PM
The previous all time Fresno September high before today was 111F. 

Exactly.  As you said, triple digits in the summer in Fresno isn't exactly uncommon...

September 7, 2021 – 106°F
September 6, 2020 – 109°F
September 2, 2019 – 102°F
September 7, 2018 – 100°F
September 2, 2017 – 108°F
September 19, 2016 – 102°F
September 9, 2015 – 104°F
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2022, 04:57:11 PM

Yes, all the same 90% of conversations don't need to start off about it.  Even in Monterey people were asking me how hot it was in Fresno. 

I still want to know where I complained about snow in Fresno...
That wasn't directed at you. Looking at ZLoth's location of Richardson TX, "last February", . . . yeah.

thspfc

Here it's been about usual. Saturday morning I wore a sweatshirt for the first time in months. Last fall the tree colors didn't peak until the last few days of October, and then this spring they didn't turn green until the first few days of May. That's about two weeks late in both cases.

ZLoth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2022, 04:57:11 PMI still want to know where I complained about snow in Fresno...

You didn't. It snowed the past two Februarys in north Dallas, and in significant accumulations. I saved the pictures, created Memes, and have been using them when people complained how it's too hot around here.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

hotdogPi

Quote from: ZLoth on September 07, 2022, 09:06:17 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2022, 04:57:11 PMI still want to know where I complained about snow in Fresno...

You didn't. It snowed the past two Februarys in north Dallas, and in significant accumulations. I saved the pictures, created Memes, and have been using them when people complained how it's too hot around here.

The problem wasn't the snow. It was that lack of regulations meant that Texas had its own power grid which failed for several days during the storm, and if Texas was on the same grid as the rest of the country, the long power outage wouldn't have happened.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

US 89

Quote from: 1 on September 07, 2022, 09:09:31 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on September 07, 2022, 09:06:17 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2022, 04:57:11 PMI still want to know where I complained about snow in Fresno…

The problem wasn't the snow. It was that lack of regulations meant that Texas had its own power grid which failed for several days during the storm, and if Texas was on the same grid as the rest of the country, the long power outage wouldn't have happened.

And that Texas had failed to adequately design and protect its generation equipment against winter conditions that were known to be unlikely but well within the realm of possibility.

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on September 07, 2022, 09:09:31 AM
That's not relevant to the cold temperatures. And, without question, the snow was a problem.

thspfc

Quote from: US 89 on September 07, 2022, 09:14:17 AM
And that Texas had failed to adequately design and protect its generation equipment against winter conditions that were known to be unlikely but well within the realm of possibility.
I have not seen this logic applied anywhere except the Texas snowstorm.

City in tornado alley gets leveled by a tornado? "How tragic."

East/gulf coast flooded due to a hurricane? "Terrible."

Texas hit by a once in 1,000 years blizzard and cold wave? "Why weren't they prepared???"

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: thspfc on September 07, 2022, 11:25:23 AM
Texas hit by a once in 1,000 years blizzard and cold wave? "Why weren't they prepared???"

I don't know about that. Something similar happened in 2011, causing rolling blackouts across most of the state, which led to recommendations for various upgrades and other preparations, many of which were ignored. And are continuing to be ignored.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Yeah, that 2011 winter storm in Dallas basically shut the city down for about three days.

They're just weren't ready for something like this:

Then again, they're certainly not alone.  I remember when an ice storm hit Saltillo, Coahuila.  An online newspaper article had a picture of a state highway pickup truck on an interchange flyover, with guys standing in the back emptying bags of ice melt onto the concrete...
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Really, you don't remember "this logic" applied in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina?

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 07, 2022, 11:51:10 AM

Really, you don't remember "this logic" applied in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina?

The logic applied in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina was "They shouldn't be living there at all."   :rolleyes:
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Massachusetts isn't prepared for three specific things: sustained winds above 30 mph (this can cause power outages even in storms that don't qualify as hurricanes or tornadoes), earthquakes (Massachusetts is in the region of "rare but extremely severe if it does happen"; last one 1755), and solar flares (more northern latitudes = more affected; most recent 1859 globally and 2003 at our latitude in Europe).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on September 07, 2022, 12:17:27 PM
Massachusetts isn't prepared for three specific things: sustained winds above 30 mph ...

Ha!  Where I grew up, sustained winds above 30 mph was called "summer".  The weather forecast would commonly contain the phrase "light winds, 15 to 30 miles per hour".
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Because Texas chose to play dumb political games, and won stupid prizes as a result.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on September 07, 2022, 12:00:34 PMThe logic applied in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina was "They shouldn't be living there at all."   :rolleyes:
And during Katrina, it was "'those people' should've gotten off their lazy asses and evacuated."

Scott5114

Those who are inclined to let the Texas government off the hook for the 2021 snowstorm should be aware that Oklahoma, the state whose government created the "Craig County" sign, got hit by the exact same storms as Texas at the same time and suffered practically no ill effects, even in the parts of the state adjoining Texas (and therefore see comparable snowfall amounts). I don't think the lights even so much as flickered in Norman.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.