News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2022, 08:18:26 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2022, 02:09:19 PM
The 2019 Bills had the #2 scoring defense, beat your Cowboys by double digits on Thanksgiving, clinched a playoff spot in Week 15, would have likely been 11-5 if they didn't rest starters, and would have been in the divisional playoffs if not for a blindside block penalty. ...
Wow wow wow, if they "likely would have been in the playoffs if not for a blindside block penalty" , then isn't your argument that they shouldn't have rested starters in week 17 irrelevant? You just negated your own original point.

They would have been in the divisional playoffs. They were in FG range in OT of the Wild Card game before the blindside block penalty cost them the game, which if they had won, they would have advanced.

But it never would have been that close if they didn't blow a 16-0 lead and Allen wasn't off the wall in the second half, which I attribute to conservative coaching and Allen not playing in Week 17.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 09, 2022, 10:31:42 AM
Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2022, 08:18:26 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2022, 02:09:19 PM
The 2019 Bills had the #2 scoring defense, beat your Cowboys by double digits on Thanksgiving, clinched a playoff spot in Week 15, would have likely been 11-5 if they didn't rest starters, and would have been in the divisional playoffs if not for a blindside block penalty. ...
Wow wow wow, if they "likely would have been in the playoffs if not for a blindside block penalty" , then isn't your argument that they shouldn't have rested starters in week 17 irrelevant? You just negated your own original point.

They would have been in the divisional playoffs. They were in FG range in OT of the Wild Card game before the blindside block penalty cost them the game, which if they had won, they would have advanced.

But it never would have been that close if they didn't blow a 16-0 lead and Allen wasn't off the wall in the second half, which I attribute to conservative coaching and Allen not playing in Week 17.
You'd think that not playing for two weeks would lead to struggles in the first half, not the second.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2022, 08:19:34 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2022, 02:16:51 PM
Speaking of game of the year, nothing will ever top that Bills-Texans game for the absolute insanity that ensued in the second half and overtime. Craziest wild-card game in NFL history and it's not particularly close. I can't believe that was 2 years ago already, I remember it like it was yesterday.
Chiefs/Colts in 2013

Packers/Cardinals in 2010

Yeah, from an unbiased perspective I remember almost nothing specific about that 2019 BUF/HOU game, and when it's brought up it doesn't register with me as overly memorable despite going to OT.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheHighwayMan3561

Colts getting hammered by Jacksonville. Any given Sunday, folks.

1995hoo

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 09, 2022, 03:48:45 PM

Jacksonville finishes the season as the Colts and passes "Football Team"  to Indianapolis.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Colts are OUT? Like, OUT-OUT?

Upset of the season.

Guess I won the bet with jayhawkco? Or is it null? I mean, he said it would be official once he saw playoff matchups . . . oh wait!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2022, 04:47:35 PM
Colts are OUT? Like, OUT-OUT?

Upset of the season.

Guess I won the bet with jayhawkco? Or is it null? I mean, he said it would be official once he saw playoff matchups . . . oh wait!

Colts are out since Pittsburgh won. Steelers are in unless Chargers-Raiders tie.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

And the stars have aligned for the Chargers and Raiders to purposefully tie. Otherwise, the Steelers will, inexplicably, make the playoffs.

ilpt4u

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2022, 04:49:39 PM
And the stars have aligned for the Chargers and Raiders to purposefully tie. Otherwise, the Steelers will, inexplicably, make the playoffs.
I'm going to the game...

I'll be slightly upset if both teams decided to take 3 knees and punt every possession

ilpt4u

And the Jags continue their home winning streak over the Colts

TheHighwayMan3561

I think there's enough incentive for the Chargers and Raiders to send their hated rivals home that they'll play to win. They're thinking "win and in" not about all this other weird shit that could align.

thspfc

The end of this 49ers/Rams game could get very interesting if the Rams are in field goal range with less than a minute left, and McVay has to choose between a tie and playing to win but risking a loss.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2022, 07:34:31 PM
The end of this 49ers/Rams game could get very interesting if the Rams are in field goal range with less than a minute left, and McVay has to choose between a tie and playing to win but risking a loss.
Unfortunately we won't ever know what he would have chosen. But the Saints are out, so that's great news.

Cowboys luck out and get the 3 seed. There's going to be a lot of conversation as to whether it would have been beneficial for them to be the 4 seed and face the Cardinals rather than the 49ers. I for one would rather them face the Niners. Dallas is 0-2 with a -31 point differential against Murray and Kingsbury Cardinals teams.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2022, 07:34:31 PM

With the outcomes of the other games having gone final, there was nothing to be gained from a tie, so the right decision would have been to go for the TD no matter what.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 09, 2022, 01:59:28 PM
Speaking of game of the year, nothing will ever top that Bills-Texans game for the absolute insanity that ensued in the second half and overtime. Craziest wild-card game in NFL history and it's not particularly close. I can't believe that was 2 years ago already, I remember it like it was yesterday.
Chiefs/Colts in 2013

Yeah, from an unbiased perspective I remember almost nothing specific about that 2019 BUF/HOU game, and when it's brought up it doesn't register with me as overly memorable despite going to OT.

I have no problem with you or anyone else not remembering anything about a random Saturday afternoon wild card game that you had no vested interest in. But those that did watch, and did care, got treated to a crazy second half and overtime. It wasn't really one play in particular (well, sure, maybe this one), but there were so many crazy plays that it didn't need to have one highlight play that everyone remembers. There's a difference between crazy and memorable, and I said crazy for a reason.

webny99

Yikes, I never thought about the irony of the Eagles trading Wentz and rebounding to make the playoffs, while the Colts missed the playoffs with Wentz. They finished with the same record, but the Colts are just unlucky to be in a much tougher conference.

I really do feel for Colts fans, because they're a solid playoff team that's unquestionably way better than the Steelers. But at the end of the day, they had a 98% chance of making it, and blew both their opportunities. The Jags are now 2-2 against them the past 2 seasons, and 2-27 against everyone else.

By the way, if you're ever looking for a laugh, the Twitter page of a team that suffered a bad loss is usually a good place to look, and Colts Twitter today was no exception.

KCRoadFan

I may be in the minority here, but I'm actually happy that the Chargers and Raiders aren't doing the "kneel to a tie" thing. What I wanted to see was a great game, and it looks like we're getting one.

webny99

Quote from: KCRoadFan on January 09, 2022, 09:40:10 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I'm actually happy that the Chargers and Raiders aren't doing the "kneel to a tie" thing. What I wanted to see was a great game.

I don't think there was ever a chance they would actually do it. They're long-time division rivals that do NOT like each other and would certainly be happy to end the other's season. So it's more of a historical footnote than anything else.

Now, if it gets to overtime, it could definitely be a factor, because playing to tie gets the same result as playing to win. I would be very amused if a tie happens organically, with both teams going on long field goal drives in overtime.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: webny99 on January 09, 2022, 09:48:32 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I'm actually happy that the Chargers and Raiders aren't doing the "kneel to a tie" thing. What I wanted to see was a great game.

I don't think there was ever a chance they would actually do it. They're long-time division rivals that do NOT like each other and would certainly be happy to end the other's season. So it's more of a historical footnote than anything else.

Now, if it gets to overtime, it could definitely be a factor, because playing to tie gets the same result as playing to win. I would be very amused if a tie happens organically, with both teams going on long field goal drives in overtime.

I understand, but if that's true, then I guess Germany and Austria weren't feeling the same way in the 1982 World Cup. Then again, I don't know much about European soccer rivalries...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gij%C3%B3n

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: KCRoadFan on January 09, 2022, 10:07:49 PM
I understand, but if that's true, then I guess Germany and Austria weren't feeling the same way in the 1982 World Cup. Then again, I don't know much about European soccer rivalries...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gij%C3%B3n

Quick note about the World Cup - after that happened, the scheduling got changed so that the final Group Stage games were played simultaneously, to eliminate something like this. However, in 2026 the World Cup is moving to 3-team groups so the simultaneous matches will be gone and the door will be open to this again.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on January 09, 2022, 09:48:32 PM

Yeah, that's very realistic. In a normal game, if you're facing 4th and 1 from the 20, you probably go for it because you want to score a touchdown and end the game. In this game, you probably kick the FG, knowing that unless your defense gives up a really long TD play, the other team is likely to kick a FG and take the tie rather than take the risk to go for the win.

KCRoadFan

Chargers went for it on 4th-and-1 from their own 18 - didn't get it. Interesting play call there...

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 09, 2022, 08:56:07 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 09, 2022, 01:59:28 PM
Chiefs/Colts in 2013

I have no problem with you or anyone else not remembering anything about a random Saturday afternoon wild card game that you had no vested interest in. But those that did watch, and did care, got treated to a crazy second half and overtime. It wasn't really one play in particular (well, sure, maybe this one), but there were so many crazy plays that it didn't need to have one highlight play that everyone remembers. There's a difference between crazy and memorable, and I said crazy for a reason.
I suppose there's a difference between "craziest"  and "best" . I remember that game being very weird, definitely crazy at the end. But IIRC there were a lot of stupid mistakes, like when Allen tried to backhandedly lateral the ball with plenty of time left having already picked up the 1st down. It was definitely a great watch at the end.

thspfc

I may be in the minority here, but I'm actually happy that the Chargers and Raiders aren't doing the "kneel to a tie" thing. What I wanted to see was a great game, and it looks like we're getting one.
It was never a real possibility, but it would have been funny.

thspfc

I don't know what to do with my hands

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.