News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Super Bowl™ is a trademark that cannot be used without permission

Superb owl is not.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ozarkman417

This Forum's superb owl will not be commenting on this.

thspfc

Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 07, 2020, 05:41:49 PM
Who is that? (sorry)

SectorZ

Quote from: thspfc on February 07, 2020, 05:49:01 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 07, 2020, 05:41:49 PM
Who is that? (sorry)

The one usually on the fritz I bet.

thspfc

mgk920

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 07, 2020, 05:32:59 PM

Superb owl is not.

What if they are referring to minutia about that 48 lane bowling center on Appleton, WI's northeast side? 

(Appleton's Super Bowl predates the NFL's version by about four years and, under a very basic tenet of USA federal trademark law, can keep right on using that name.)

:spin:

Mike

CNGL-Leudimin

That sounds like that Burger King in Mattoon, Illinois that is totally unrelated to the Florida chain. That also explains why there are no locations of the Florida chain within 20 miles of Mattoon.

Superb owl is not.

Only in the USA. I, in Spain, can use the term "Super Bowl" freely :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

mgk920

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 08, 2020, 07:32:29 AM
That sounds like that Burger King in Mattoon, Illinois that is totally unrelated to the Florida chain. That also explains why there are no locations of the Florida chain within 20 miles of Mattoon.

Superb owl is not.

Only in the USA. I, in Spain, can use the term "Super Bowl" freely :sombrero:.

The 'keep back' radius from their 1968 settlement is 30 miles/50 km.  The family restaurant in Mattoon recently struck a deal with the chain to allow a franchised chain location to be opened at I-70/IL 130 (interchange 119) in Greenup, IL, which is at the very edge of that radius and a location that is completely inconsequential to them.

Mike

thspfc

There's a good chance that the playoffs will be changed in 2020, and the regular season expanded in 2021. The NFL doesn't get very many things right when it comes to logistics, but it nailed the 16 game regular season (and its scheduling format), and the 6 team/conference playoffs. This is a classic example of fixing something that is not broken. Come on, NFL.

webny99

I like the premise of expanding the playoffs, but not the premise of the #7 seed potentially ousting the #2 seed.
The only thing worse than what happened to the Ravens this year, would be going 14-2, getting no bye, and losing in the wild card round.

It would be cool to see a #3 or #4 seed - or even a #5 seed!! - host the divisional round. This year, for example, say the #2 Packers lost to the #7 Rams in the wild card (very possible). #3 Saints and #4 Eagles also lost, so the #5 Seahawks would be hosting the divisional round!

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: thspfc on February 20, 2020, 04:58:54 PM
There's a good chance that the playoffs will be changed in 2020, and the regular season expanded in 2021. The NFL doesn't get very many things right when it comes to logistics, but it nailed the 16 game regular season (and its scheduling format), and the 6 team/conference playoffs. This is a classic example of fixing something that is not broken. Come on, NFL.

– You know, Mr. Burns, you're the richest guy I know. Way richer than Lenny.
– Yes, but I'd trade it all for a little more.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ET21

Not that I never mind talking football, why was this thread separated from the main football thread?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

thspfc

Quote from: ET21 on February 25, 2020, 12:13:38 AM
Not that I never mind talking football, why was this thread separated from the main football thread?
Good question.

webny99

Quote from: ET21 on February 25, 2020, 12:13:38 AM

I figured why not?
With all the narratives surrounding the season, it may well end up being a fairly lengthy sub-topic.
Also, it's specific to the NFL, for those of us that don't care about the other leagues.  ;-)

webny99

As the events of the past few weeks have unfolded, I am now genuinely curious about whether an NFL team is likely to sign Colin Kaepernick this season, and if so, which team would it be?

(I'm hoping that we, the forum users, can be trusted with a chance to have this discussion if we keep it civil and sports-related, so please don't squander it or get this thread locked.)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on June 11, 2020, 04:56:54 PM
As the events of the past few weeks have unfolded, I am now genuinely curious about whether an NFL team is likely to sign Colin Kaepernick this season, and if so, which team would it be?

(I'm hoping that we, the forum users, can be trusted with a chance to have this discussion if we keep it civil and sports-related, so please don't squander it or get this thread locked.)
I don't know, he hasn't played football for like 4 years.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on June 11, 2020, 04:56:54 PM

I'm surprised no one had signed him by now even with his history. A lot of teams have had far worse backups on hand and could have used the veteran presence. They were probably concerned with him being an "instigator." On the other hand, picking him up now only proves that that's why a team was blackballing him before, so there's probably >50% chance he stays unemployed.

SEWIGuy

Teams feared the political reaction.  That's the sole reason he wasn't signed by anyone.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 12, 2020, 02:26:55 PM
Teams feared the political reaction.  That's the sole reason he wasn't signed by anyone.

I don't know why sports leagues would fear political reaction. It might cause a media storm at the outset, but long term, large numbers of people don't stop watching sports for political reasons. I know a lot of very liberal people who never even thought about giving up their Cubs season tickets when the family of Trump's campaign finance manager bought the team. There were never going to be large numbers of people turning on a team if they signed Kapernick.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SEWIGuy

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 12, 2020, 02:34:10 PM

I don't know why sports leagues would fear political reaction. It might cause a media storm at the outset, but long term, large numbers of people don't stop watching sports for political reasons. I know a lot of very liberal people who never even thought about giving up their Cubs season tickets when the family of Trump's campaign finance manager bought the team. There were never going to be large numbers of people turning on a team if they signed Kapernick.

I think teams worried about the "distraction" of the political reaction his signing would bring.  I mean, did you see what happened when Trump called out the NFL?

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 12, 2020, 03:32:52 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on June 12, 2020, 02:34:10 PM

I think teams worried about the "distraction" of the political reaction his signing would bring.  I mean, did you see what happened when Trump called out the NFL?
The general view on kneeling and the like has drastically shifted recently. Drew Brees got ripped for saying something that would have been the consensus two years ago. There's no reason for him not to at least be on a roster, though it'll be tough for him to make much of an impact after two seasons away from football.

webny99

Quote from: Alps on June 12, 2020, 01:50:25 AM
On the other hand, picking him up now only proves that that's why a team was blackballing him before, so there's probably >50% chance he stays unemployed.

That's a good point, but I guess I'm not sure anything is gained by not just owning up to it. Everyone knows that he was blackballed anyways at this point. And the NFL has walked back on other aspects of their 2017 stance, so this seems like the right time for a team to just do it if they're on the fence.

I can think of at least a dozen or so teams where he would be a major improvement as backup, even despite his years off. I wouldn't even be mad if the Bills signed him, although it wouldn't have really make any sense to pick up Jake Fromm in the draft if that was in the cards.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 12, 2020, 03:32:52 PM
I think teams worried about the "distraction" of the political reaction his signing would bring. I mean, did you see what happened when Trump called out the NFL?

Ahem. I mean, I agree - although when you say "teams", it's really the owners that we're talking about. Clearly most of the owners tend to align more with Trump than not, while the majority of fans and players probably wouldn't really care that much. But please, this is exactly where threads like this get off the rails, so let's keep it to Kaepernick.

bing101

bing101

mgk920

Quote from: bing101 on June 19, 2020, 08:38:45 PM
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/06/19/report-49ers-player-tests-positive-for-covid-19-player-among-group-working-out-in-nashville/A member of the 49ers has been tested positive for COVID-19.

And his likelihood of developing ANY symptoms beyond those of the mildest of colds?

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.