News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

August 2020: Cairo, IL Ohio River Bridge Closure US 51/60/62

Started by ilpt4u, August 01, 2020, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

I made a topic a couple years back about IL and KY planning a new Ohio River Bridge here https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=22799.0 but this closure is for work on the existing bridge

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/the-cairo-bridge-is-closed-for-the-month-for-repairs-causing-long-detours/article_a5bd825f-8e5c-5f99-9918-6878e01cc18d.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1 (pay-walled) The Southern Illinoisan reports today, on its website, that the Cairo Ohio River Bridge will be closed for maintenance for the month of August. KYTC is reported to be the lead agency for the work

There are not many River crossings relatively close to here. I-24 in Paducah to get across the Ohio and to get from Kentucky to Missouri, there is the ferry at Hickman, or going south to the I-155 bridge

I'm going to assume it wasn't feasible for IDOT and KYTC to operate a temporary ferry between Cairo and Wickliffe. Gotta be a painful commute for any SEMO <-> WKY commuters. There are not a lot of direct E-W Routes across Southern IL – US 45<->IL 169<->IL 37<->US 51, I guess. Or longer but much more Interstate: Take your pick US 60, US 62, KY 286 between Wickliffe and Paducah, then I-24<->I-57

ozarkman417

This happened about five years ago with the Mississippi Bridge. The closure is the only reason I've clinched I-57 in MO. I was enroute to Atlanta and was trying to get to I-24.

The Ohio Bridge closing would have been more troublesome for me. It wasn't that much out of the way to take US 51 back to 60/62 from I-57 once I entered IL. I think the fastest way to get around the Ohio bridge and return to US60 would be to take I-24 up to I-57 (had that been the case, I would have ended up clinching the entirety of I-24 on that trip).

Revive 755

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 01, 2020, 03:51:40 PM
This happened about five years ago with the Mississippi Bridge.

Flooding has made a closure of US 60/US 62 through Cairo much more recently - think it may have been last year.

hbelkins

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 01, 2020, 11:11:00 PM

Flooding has made a closure of US 60/US 62 through Cairo much more recently - think it may have been last year.

Flooding frequently closes the road between Wickliffe and the bridge. Since this area is below the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, a big rain event upstream in either basin can be problematic.

Making commutes worse, temporarily, is the fact that the ferry is closed now for mechanical issues and won't reopen until midweek. They've been having some trouble, and the closure keeps getting extended due to delays in getting the needed repair parts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ilpt4u

The report I read, and posted, states that the closure is more for repair to the levee on the KY approach to the bridge/north of Wickliffe more than for the bridge itself, but since it is closed too, repairs on the actual bridge are being done at the same time

rte66man

Quote from: hbelkins on August 02, 2020, 07:31:38 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on August 01, 2020, 11:11:00 PM

Flooding frequently closes the road between Wickliffe and the bridge. Since this area is below the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, a big rain event upstream in either basin can be problematic.

Making commutes worse, temporarily, is the fact that the ferry is closed now for mechanical issues and won't reopen until midweek. They've been having some trouble, and the closure keeps getting extended due to delays in getting the needed repair parts.

From 2013:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

edwaleni

Illinois to invest $40 million dollars into new Cairo Illinois Intermodal Hub.

https://www.dailyherald.com/business/20200804/state-investing-40-million-in-hopes-of-making-cairo-port-a-shipping-hub

It will go between I-57 on the north side and Cairo Levee on the south.

Kentucky better get off the can on their replacement bridge because "intermodal" isn't just about trains. Lots and lots of trucks.

The article says 80 percent of all barge traffic north of New Orleans passes Cairo everyday.

If this thing goes anywhere, it might drive some regional road upgrades in 3 states.

ilpt4u

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/pritzker-fowler-announce-40-million-for-cairo-port-project/article_35899c6d-16f8-5646-964a-bb3a2deff96b.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1 Story from The Southern Illinoisian about the Cairo Port project. The Governor was down in Carbondale, then Cairo yesterday. Basically delivering a $4 million down payment on the port project

Some form of an Expressway/Freeway I-24 to I-55/57 E-W connector roughly paralleling the Ohio from Paducah to somewhere in the Cairo-Sikeston vicinity would be appropriate, I think, should a serious Intermodal hub get going in Cairo (which, by its natural location, really should be one)

The Shawnee Parkway is? was? an early version of this, basically to extend the 4 lane highway from the Cape Girardeau Bridge to at least I-57 and possibly to I-24. The Western KY portion of I-66 is another version of this, but mostly in KY

At least if any Connector Expressway/Freeway was put in IL, yes it would be longer, but the I-24 Ohio and I-57 Mississippi Interstate bridges can be utilized

Otherwise, the new Cairo Ohio Bridge should be expanded when replaced, but probably not

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 05, 2020, 11:38:33 PM
https://thesouthern.com/news/local/pritzker-fowler-announce-40-million-for-cairo-port-project/article_35899c6d-16f8-5646-964a-bb3a2deff96b.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1 Story from The Southern Illinoisian about the Cairo Port project. The Governor was down in Carbondale, then Cairo yesterday. Basically delivering a $4 million down payment on the port project

Some form of an Expressway/Freeway I-24 to I-55/57 E-W connector roughly paralleling the Ohio from Paducah to somewhere in the Cairo-Sikeston vicinity would be appropriate, I think, should a serious Intermodal hub get going in Cairo (which, by its natural location, really should be one)

The Shawnee Parkway is? was? an early version of this, basically to extend the 4 lane highway from the Cape Girardeau Bridge to at least I-57 and possibly to I-24. The Western KY portion of I-66 is another version of this, but mostly in KY

At least if any Connector Expressway/Freeway was put in IL, yes it would be longer, but the I-24 Ohio and I-57 Mississippi Interstate bridges can be utilized

Otherwise, the new Cairo Ohio Bridge should be expanded when replaced, but probably not

I haven't seen any of the preliminary engineering for the Cairo Bridge replacement. I only know that IDOT paid their share of the funding. KDOT has design and engineering control of the project.

I have driven that current Cairo Bridge and the biggest issue is width. If 2 semi's with wide mirrors ever met, they would be taken off. It is already kind of freaky if you have an SUV and meet a truck in the middle.

I did what you did when I read this announcement, I went back and looked at the various proposals in this area in the last few years.

KDOT should build that bridge so that it stays above the flood plain on the Kentucky side all the way to US-60. This essentially becomes the Wycliffe Bypass.

If they do a total new road approach, the abandoned Illinois Central ROW to Paducah is still there and can be recycled. Otherwise update US-60 from Barlow to LaCenter to get the trucks out the town centers.

hbelkins

Kentucky's moving forward with plans to widen another portion of US 60 to four lanes between Paducah and Wickliffe. I haven't seen any long-range plans that would indicate whether the widening, when complete, will make the southerly turn toward Wickliffe, or if it will continue on a straighter trajectory toward the confluence of the rivers.

The shortest and fastest way between Paducah and Wickliffe is still to use US 62 and KY 286. The only reasons I have ever driven US 60 or US 62 through Bardwell, are for clinching purposes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on August 07, 2020, 10:18:23 AM
Kentucky's moving forward with plans to widen another portion of US 60 to four lanes between Paducah and Wickliffe. I haven't seen any long-range plans that would indicate whether the widening, when complete, will make the southerly turn toward Wickliffe, or if it will continue on a straighter trajectory toward the confluence of the rivers.

The shortest and fastest way between Paducah and Wickliffe is still to use US 62 and KY 286. The only reasons I have ever driven US 60 or US 62 through Bardwell, are for clinching purposes.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever used US-60 to get between the two–always US-62 and KY-286.

That route does feel a little dicey during winter weather, with steep drainage ditches.  Now, if that were widened to four lanes...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

edwaleni

Quote from: kphoger on August 07, 2020, 10:26:32 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 07, 2020, 10:18:23 AM

Yeah, I don't think I've ever used US-60 to get between the two–always US-62 and KY-286.

That route does feel a little dicey during winter weather, with steep drainage ditches.  Now, if that were widened to four lanes...

I have driven both routes. When I am cutting across southern Missouri on US-60 and need to get over to I-24, I cut through this area in Kentucky. KY-286 has fewer speed zones.

It is faster than driving through northern Arkansas to reach I-22 SE of Memphis. If/when I-57 is extended, I will have re-examine it.

kphoger

If you guys ever have a little extra time and are looking for a scenic alternative, I recommend this lovely drive via Tick Ridge Road.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: edwaleni on August 06, 2020, 02:55:49 PM
I haven't seen any of the preliminary engineering for the Cairo Bridge replacement. I only know that IDOT paid their share of the funding. KDOT has design and engineering control of the project.
In the older thread about the bridge replacement, seicer posted a link for the Alternative Selection Report from 2014:
https://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/US%2051%20Alternative%20Selection%20Report%20-Jan%202014.pdf

Basically Alternative 2 was selected - 2 lane bridge with shoulders, built just slightly upriver of the current bridge. Further upriver were alternatives, but not selected, according to the report. I assume Alternative 2 is still the plan, but assumptions can be dangerous

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 07, 2020, 03:38:00 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on August 06, 2020, 02:55:49 PM
In the older thread about the bridge replacement, seicer posted a link for the Alternative Selection Report from 2014:
https://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/US%2051%20Alternative%20Selection%20Report%20-Jan%202014.pdf

Basically Alternative 2 was selected - 2 lane bridge with shoulders, built just slightly upriver of the current bridge. Further upriver were alternatives, but not selected, according to the report. I assume Alternative 2 is still the plan, but assumptions can be dangerous

That same report in 2014 said in bold print:

Under the no-build scenario it is anticipated the bridge would be closed to truck traffic around 2025 and closed to all traffic around 2030.

Assuming how long it took to build the Ohio River Bridge at Louisville (about 3 years), they have about 18 months to break ground. Like I said, better get things going pretty soon.

ilpt4u

The article I linked to from The Southern Illinoisan in the OP quotes a spokesman named Keith Todd from KYTC District 1, saying this work is to get the current bridge in "optimum condition"  so construction on the new bridge can start in 5-10 years

Maybe some of this rehab work can extend the life of the current bridge a little bit?

edwaleni

FWIW:  The New Madrid had a couple of quakes just prior to the one in North Carolina this past weekend.

They only registered a 1.6 overall, but some geologists attribute the shift to a large quake in Alaska that shifted overall global plate energy eastward.  The North Carolina quake was the North American craton (plate) shifting east. Some say the 1.6 was simply the New Madrid absorbing some of that energy before it pushed into the next plate.

ThatRandomOshawott

I've been on that Cairo Ohio River bridge before when there was a closure on Interstate 24. It was a little scary to see cars and semis bumper-to-bumper on that old two-lane cantilever bridge. Wickliffe was also in a bumper-to-bumper situation. US 60 could certainly use some widening in Ballard County in case of situations like that.
But, I've always liked historic bridges, and the two Cairo bridges are quite historic, so I would hate to see them go. I'd like for MoDOT, IDOT, and KYTC consider keeping the two bridges as spans for twin bridges.
I've never been out that way of IL along the Ohio River. I'd love to take a drive that way sometime along that scenic route. I live only about 50 miles away from Metropolis, yet I've only been in Illinois to go to St. Louis or drive to Arkansas (through Cairo).

kphoger

Quote from: ThatRandomOshawott on August 13, 2020, 01:25:46 AM
I've been on that Cairo Ohio River bridge before when there was a closure on Interstate 24. It was a little scary to see cars and semis bumper-to-bumper on that old two-lane cantilever bridge. Wickliffe was also in a bumper-to-bumper situation.

My very first day driving a delivery truck (Isuzu cab-over box truck), still in training, I drove that bridge head-to-head with truckers, and construction work had it even a little bit narrower than usual.   :-(
Male pronouns, please.

Revive 755

Quote from: edwaleni on August 10, 2020, 11:05:16 AM
FWIW:  The New Madrid had a couple of quakes just prior to the one in North Carolina this past weekend.

They only registered a 1.6 overall, but some geologists attribute the shift to a large quake in Alaska that shifted overall global plate energy eastward.  The North Carolina quake was the North American craton (plate) shifting east. Some say the 1.6 was simply the New Madrid absorbing some of that energy before it pushed into the next plate.

Or, - given the kind of year it's been - it's the fault warming up for its main performance.

ilpt4u

Update from a report in The Southern Illinoisan: The Cairo Ohio River Bridge is to reopen Wednesday Aug 26th, around 3 PM CDT, per KYTC

The bridge will open in Single Lane/One Way traffic configuration, and also a strict 8'6"  width restriction

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/u-s-51-ohio-river-cairo-bridge-scheduled-to-reopen-wednesday/article_b78bad8a-3237-52e6-a6b6-f51e10443120.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.