Signs at state lines put up by one state that refer to things in the other state

Started by KCRoadFan, August 22, 2020, 09:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

A rather unique example:

During the Borman-Kingery expansion in Illinois and Indiana, IDOT put up signs for eastbound traffic regarding the first two Indiana exits, including a set of gantries in Indiana, like this one here.

Compare to the westbound Borman, where you can see the mileage counter reset and reference made to Illinois 394 just before the final exit in Indiana (also note the font difference in the cardinal directions; the "WEST"  was put on later to correct the "NORTH"  that was originally put by I-94). Seen here. References to the rest of the exits at that interchange (Toll I-80/294 and Torrence Avenue) are made after the Calumet Avenue interchange.

The reason behind the IDOT-style signage in Indiana: to ensure a smooth transition between coinciding projects, INDOT sold the final mile of the western Borman to IDOT. Notice the double-RPM placement between stripes (an IDOT staple) starting at Calumet Avenue.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on September 26, 2020, 01:42:48 AM
A rather unique example:

During the Borman-Kingery expansion in Illinois and Indiana, IDOT put up signs for eastbound traffic regarding the first two Indiana exits, including a set of gantries in Indiana, like this one here.

Compare to the westbound Borman, where you can see the mileage counter reset and reference made to Illinois 394 just before the final exit in Indiana (also note the font difference in the cardinal directions; the "WEST"  was put on later to correct the "NORTH"  that was originally put by I-94). Seen here. References to the rest of the exits at that interchange (Toll I-80/294 and Torrence Avenue) are made after the Calumet Avenue interchange.

The reason behind the IDOT-style signage in Indiana: to ensure a smooth transition between coinciding projects, INDOT sold the final mile of the western Borman to IDOT. Notice the double-RPM placement between stripes (an IDOT staple) starting at Calumet Avenue.

Never realized the sign I can see out the back of my house was from IDOT and not INDOT.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 26, 2020, 11:34:01 AMNever realized the sign I can see out the back of my house was from IDOT and not INDOT.

Just to be clear (which I apologize for not clarifying in the original post): the IL 394/I-94 sign was built by INDOT. Everything else west of Calumet is all IDOT.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

cpzilliacus

This is northbound U.S. 301 in King George County, Virginia.   Followed by this and then this and finally this. Approaching the Harry W. Nice/Mac Middleton Bridge (a toll crossing entirely in Maryland and maintained by MDTA) over the lower Potomac River.  A  replacement bridge is under construction here now, which means the third of these signs will go away when the new bridge is open to traffic.

These signs are rather identical or similar in design to signs installed approaching and on some other Maryland toll crossings.  Not sure if they were installed by VDOT or by MDTA, though all four look like MDTA installations.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on September 26, 2020, 05:29:32 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 26, 2020, 11:34:01 AMNever realized the sign I can see out the back of my house was from IDOT and not INDOT.

Just to be clear (which I apologize for not clarifying in the original post): the IL 394/I-94 sign was built by INDOT. Everything else west of Calumet is all IDOT.

I understood that. The sign I can see is the sign that's ½ mile to Calumet and 2 miles to Indpls.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

EpicRoadways

This sign at the southern end of I-35 in Superior, WI looks like the work of MNDOT.

A couple hundred miles further south, there's this bizarre sign assembly along US-14 suspiciously close to the Wisconsin border. It looks like a WisDOT-style overhead sign assembly with MNDOT signage.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

EpicRoadways

hbelkins

This sign assembly is on the Purchase Parkway/US 51 in Kentucky, but it's definitely a Tennessee installation. You can tell by the gantry design. Kentucky would use an "erector set" instead of the single support post.

2016 Alabama Meet Trip Day 1 - 352 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

plain

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 26, 2020, 05:54:58 PM
This is northbound U.S. 301 in King George County, Virginia.   Followed by this and then this and finally this. Approaching the Harry W. Nice/Mac Middleton Bridge (a toll crossing entirely in Maryland and maintained by MDTA) over the lower Potomac River.  A  replacement bridge is under construction here now, which means the third of these signs will go away when the new bridge is open to traffic.

These signs are rather identical or similar in design to signs installed approaching and on some other Maryland toll crossings.  Not sure if they were installed by VDOT or by MDTA, though all four look like MDTA installations.

Yeah those definitely look like MDTA installations. I've never seen VDOT (or any VA agency for that matter) use signs like that.
Newark born, Richmond bred

cpzilliacus

Quote from: plain on September 28, 2020, 02:22:20 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 26, 2020, 05:54:58 PM

Yeah those definitely look like MDTA installations. I've never seen VDOT (or any VA agency for that matter) use signs like that.

I am not sure who installed these.  It could be that MDTA did the design and engineering, purchased everything, then VDOT forces (or a VDOT contractor) did the install.  But that is speculation on my part.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on September 21, 2020, 08:18:24 AM
This sign in Pennsylvania refers to an upcoming exit and an upcoming toll, both of which are in New York.

As does this MoDOT sign warning drivers of the perilous fate that awaits them should they not exit to US-166/400. (Overhead signs further on down also give I-44 "TOLL" banners, despite the fact that the toll road technically doesn't start for a while longer.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 29, 2020, 07:29:15 PM
This sign in Pennsylvania refers to an upcoming exit and an upcoming toll, both of which are in New York.

As does this MoDOT sign warning drivers of the perilous fate that awaits them should they not exit to US-166/400. (Overhead signs further on down also give I-44 "TOLL" banners, despite the fact that the toll road technically doesn't start for a while longer.)

Going from memory here, and things may have changed, but going in the other direction, there's no mention of the US 166/US 400 exit in Oklahoma. You don't see signage until you get to Missouri, and the first exit signage is a 1/4-mile advance sign.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2020, 10:59:18 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 29, 2020, 07:29:15 PM

Going from memory here, and things may have changed, but going in the other direction, there's no mention of the US 166/US 400 exit in Oklahoma. You don't see signage until you get to Missouri, and the first exit signage is a 1/4-mile advance sign.

That used to be the case when I used this section of highway often. Since then, MoDOT has placed a one-mile advance sign in Oklahoma.

ethanhopkin14

Scott5114

noelbotevera

New York reciprocates on US 15, although this is definitely a PennDOT install in NY (the state line sign is the border).

Then you have the agencies working together. Okay, this interchange is entirely in PA, but my guess is that NY maintains this interchange and NY 17 but PA did the signs. This means NY guardrail holding up a PA "No Littering" sign and a "State Speed Limit 55"...except PA doesn't do that. This situation reminds me of a certain parkway...

But wait! It gets even weirder! Going NB, you do not get an "entering NY" sign. You're presented with (what I think) is NYSDOT signs in PA. You don't know you've crossed the line until you clear the interchange and see the "Entering Waverly" NYSDOT sign and a "Welcome to Waverly NY" town-erected sign. This is also juxtaposed with a few PA signs (I think "Emergency Parking Only") and PA road construction (Jersey barrier).

The same deal happens at NY 17's exit 61, though this situation is far more straightforward; NY maintains the interchange area, so you get NYSDOT signs around the interchange, although PA did erect this assembly.

KCRoadFan

Looking at the GSV photo linked, here's one way I could tell the sign was a PennDOT creation: it uses Clearview, which is common in PA but virtually nonexistent in NY. (At least I don't remember seeing any Clearview signs in New York, but then again, I haven't visited that state since 2010.)

MATraveler128

On I-95 in Attleboro, MA, there are two Connecticut style signs with the center tab for the first two Rhode Island exits just before crossing into Rhode Island, as a bonus, not even near Connecticut.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 15, 2022, 07:17:13 AM
On I-95 in Attleboro, MA, there are two Connecticut style signs with the center tab for the first two Rhode Island exits just before crossing into Rhode Island, as a bonus, not even near Connecticut.

I see where you're talking, but looking at GSV and the change in pavement line, that gantry is about 10 feet into RI.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Techknow

I was expecting someone to mention that there's a Clearview sign in California, except it was put up by ADOT to refer to Exit 1 of I-10 in Arizona.

But wait a minute... it's not there anymore! According to GSV (compare May 2019 with March 2021), it's been replaced with a Caltrans spec sign!?!?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6056159,-114.5350825,3a,75y,110.55h,80.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB2yQQo0ycdFnv70a-3_pzQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

tolbs17

SD Mapman

Iowa-erected sign fully inside South Dakota. If you look at the historical images, you can see the old Clearview sign. Heading NB, SD did not return the favor, and the "Exit 1" sign in Iowa is put up by Iowa.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.