Exit sign preference?

Red
- 2 (16.7%)
Green
- 6 (50%)
Don't dare
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Exit sign preference?  (Read 1923 times)

skluth

• Last Login: July 06, 2022, 07:32:53 PM
Re: Exit sign preference?
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2022, 09:17:44 PM »

I know the US has no plans to switch over to the green running man signs as they say the EXIT text works just fine for humans to see.

They said that? Regulations like this are notoriously slow to change, I wouldn't be surprised if the US adopted the running man in the next decade.

You know if they try to adopt it, immediately the disabled and the hard of running will loudly bitch about the design.
OTOH, those with red/green colorblindness won't notice

Rothman

• Last Login: July 06, 2022, 11:46:29 PM
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2022, 09:39:30 PM »

I know the US has no plans to switch over to the green running man signs as they say the EXIT text works just fine for humans to see.

They said that? Regulations like this are notoriously slow to change, I wouldn't be surprised if the US adopted the running man in the next decade.

You know if they try to adopt it, immediately the disabled and the hard of running will loudly bitch about the design.
That's not how red/green colorblindness works...

I am red/green colorblind and can tell the difference between red and green 99% of the time.  The colorblindness comes in because I don't see red as vividly as normal vision does.  So, that's why not being able to tell the difference between blue and purple is common.  I don't see purple unless it has a LOT of red in it (magenta).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

• Last Login: July 06, 2022, 07:32:53 PM
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2022, 04:09:21 PM »

I am red/green colorblind and can tell the difference between red and green 99% of the time.  The colorblindness comes in because I don't see red as vividly as normal vision does.  So, that's why not being able to tell the difference between blue and purple is common.  I don't see purple unless it has a LOT of red in it (magenta).
I'm not colorblind but I used to work with a lot of guys who were as the AG rating was one of the USN ratings that didn't require being able to see colors. It doesn't mean much but I became much more aware of the issue. There are a few different kinds of colorblindness that the military tests for during your initial testing (at least they did back in 1980). The first NFL color rush game was a PR disaster because the jerseys looks almost identical to many red-green colorblind people.

Rothman

• Last Login: July 06, 2022, 11:46:29 PM
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2022, 08:04:19 PM »

I'm not colorblind but I used to work with a lot of guys who were as the AG rating was one of the USN ratings that didn't require being able to see colors. It doesn't mean much but I became much more aware of the issue. There are a few different kinds of colorblindness that the military tests for during your initial testing (at least they did back in 1980). The first NFL color rush game was a PR disaster because the jerseys looks almost identical to many red-green colorblind people.
I still think there is a huge misperception out there over what colorblind people actually see, especially given the huge spectrum across anomalous trichromats.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

• Last Login: July 06, 2022, 08:48:48 PM
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2022, 08:22:33 PM »

How about the signs on the Tube in London that say "Way Out" instead of "Exit"?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

• Transportation Design

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:14 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2022, 02:09:30 PM »

How about the signs on the Tube in London that say "Way Out" instead of "Exit"?

It's also used in Vancouver on the SkyTrain. Signs used to say Exit, and there are still exit signs, but all signs say "Way Out" until you get to the actual exit, where there is an actual "Exit" sign (stylized, not the emergency style -- the green running man is used sparingly/in addition to other signs). I believe this style of signage was adopted from TfL standards.
Check out my Flickr | Add me on Facebook!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.