News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

City Quiz.io

Started by CoreySamson, November 21, 2020, 04:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

I got to 180 in Wisconsin easily. I struggled to get to 200.
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/244938
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

CNGL-Leudimin

Yet somehow you missed a couple places I routinely include in the map (Marshfield and Menomonie).
Quote from: 1 on January 25, 2021, 06:32:07 AM
That really only happens when you choose "every state". It's not comparable to playing normally.

And that is how I discovered them. However I already knew the two with a population of one beforehand (Monowi NE exactly because of that, Laurier WA is the Northern terminus of US 395).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

paulthemapguy

I didn't realize that it saves your progress when you leave the page and come back later.

I named 700 towns within the state of Illinois alone, without checking a map.  :bigass:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

CNGL-Leudimin

Yes, I've been crawling to 2000 named towns (going state by state) thanks to that. And I do so until Firefox decides to reset itself or I want to clear the map just because.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Asia:

https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/asia/share/245966

Of the 49 cities named, only one went to a country other than the one expected. (Some regions have a city of the same name in them; this one didn't, but it existed elsewhere as a coincidence.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

I tried Australia and got over 70% of the urban population with just 10 cities (cherry-picking the biggest ones to see how few it would take).

The US is roughly 13 times more populous than Australia, so by comparison, this would be like getting 130 cities for the US and being over 70%... that's not even remotely close to possible. You'd have to be pushing 1,000 cities or more to get 70% in the US.

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, I'm at 2000 and I even haven't hit 50% yet.

I've named over 400 French places, with the highest densities around Paris, in the Western Pyrenees (the closest area of France to me) and near Nice (I threw Monaco in just because I feel it wasn't right to exclude that, even though isn't part of France). Tour de France knowledge also helps. I used the Europe map to do that, since there's no standalone map of France.

CNGL-Leudimin

Okay, here is my try at Asia :sombrero:: https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/asia/share/246348. Notice how many Chinese cities I know. Too bad it doesn't accept Shit (there are three villages in Iran with that name), but it did accept Puta in Azerbaijan (Spanish for "slut"). Also notice all those dots in the Philippines, a result of random Spanish city inputting (they make half of the bottom 20!).

I also decided to clear the European map and name only Italian cities (plus San Marino and the Vatican), also getting over 400, this time well scattered all over the country. Now that is something.

CoreySamson

I finally broke thru the 1000 city (and 40%) barrier with this latest round:
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/264035

The highlights:

- The last town I named is Belton, TX, which I know of because it has a large evacuation center.

- I named a town with a population of 1 (Monowi, NE)!

- More than a quarter of the cities were from Texas.

- In the majority of states I named 7 to about 17 cities.

- I could only name 2 Rhode Island cities.

- The largest city I did not name was North Las Vegas, NV.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

vdeane

Interesting - they added an "every state" feature to the game.  It's an interesting way to find out how many states have a place with a given name, but IMO it feels like cheating.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on February 24, 2021, 09:39:00 PM
Interesting - they added an "every state" feature to the game.  It's an interesting way to find out how many states have a place with a given name, but IMO it feels like cheating.

Well, I mean, some degree of that happens if you don't have that feature turned on. I was going through and entering Oklahoma county seats that I remembered, and when I entered "Beaver" it matched to Beaver PA instead of Beaver OK. Had no idea there was a Beaver PA before that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 24, 2021, 11:46:34 PM

Well, I mean, some degree of that happens if you don't have that feature turned on. I was going through and entering Oklahoma county seats that I remembered, and when I entered "Beaver" it matched to Beaver PA instead of Beaver OK. Had no idea there was a Beaver PA before that.

And for me, the opposite would've happened: I type in Beaver for PA, it populates, and I never learn about Beaver, OK.

To me, the reason it might be considered cheating is when more than two cities are involved, so you get a bunch of bonus cities, not just one. Beaver is actually an example because there's at least a Beaver, UT, and possibly others. Springfield is one of the most prominent ones, with the cities in IL, MA, and MO being well-known, plus lesser-known examples in dozens of other states including NJ, NY, OH, and PA.

hotdogPi

It doesn't recognize all locations, though. Salem, NH isn't recognized by the game.

I think that for New England, it should recognize all cities and towns, but exclude villages to avoid overlaps. I wouldn't recommend this for New York, though, as villages actually take priority over towns there.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Quote from: 1 on February 25, 2021, 08:24:58 AM
It doesn't recognize all locations, though. Salem, NH isn't recognized by the game.

It seems to vary somewhat by state. In New York, not all towns (called townships in other states) are recognized, but almost all cities and villages are recognized. Because many towns have a same-named village, the prominent exclusions are mostly suburbs. In fact, from what I can tell, the only Rochester suburbs that are recognized are either villages or CDP's. This excludes many of the big ones, like Henrietta, Penfield, and Perinton, among others.

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 24, 2021, 11:46:34 PM

I always included the state name when typing in a city specifically to avoid that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CNGL-Leudimin

You can also select a state. I play by that. Also in Europe where I usually do country runs, I did again la France and then an UK one, with some pearls such as Scunthorpe and Penistone, as well as random USA city input. In that one, as well as a German one I did a while ago (which included Bielefeld, which is a mistake since that city doesn't exist), I only managed to break 100 as opposed to 400+ I usually do in both France and Italy, where cycling knowledge helps a lot.

andrepoiy

I did one for Canada, since it is where I live.
Here are my results: https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/canada/share/265653

Zoom into Southern Ontario:

I'll do an American one later

CoreySamson

Tried one more time (I can't really resist trying to improve on my score), and I got 1219 without using "every state":
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/391040

I really like how the developers keep adding new small QoL features; you can sort the cities you named alphabetically and by population now.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

NWI_Irish96

I've gotten as high as 330 for Indiana.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CNGL-Leudimin

He needs to update the quiz with the 2020 Census data. It still doesn't accept Jurupa Valley, for example.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 27, 2021, 01:24:49 PM
He needs to update the quiz with the 2020 Census data. It still doesn't accept Jurupa Valley, for example.

When I played it, it accepted Tucker, GA, incorporated in 2015.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

Daniel Fiddler

CNGL, you mentioned it didn't list Shit but did list Puta.

Does it accept...

Fucking, Austria?
Condom, France?
Intercourse, Pennsylvania?
Dildo, Canada?

ozarkman417

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on August 27, 2021, 01:32:00 PM
Does it accept...

Fucking, Austria?
He needs to update the town's name. It changed to Fugging in November 2020.

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 27, 2021, 01:35:44 PM
Does it accept...

Fucking, Austria?
He needs to update the town's name. It changed to Fugging in November 2020.

That I did not know.  How lame!

kphoger

CNGL, you mentioned it didn't list Shit but did list Puta.

Does it accept...

Fucking, Austria?
Condom, France?
Intercourse, Pennsylvania?
Dildo, Canada?

Don't forget my favorite:  French Lick, IN
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.