News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Odd signalized intersections

Started by tolbs17, March 23, 2021, 07:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

wanderer2575

Here's a six-leg intersection in Lyon Township MI with multi-faced fixtures on one span wire, and amazingly they are all well-positioned over all the lanes.

https://goo.gl/maps/k9KXnbTAiLJs2DU96

tolbs17

jakeroot

Quote from: tolbs17 on June 17, 2021, 02:56:02 PM
Someone on Reddit said both of these junctions should be signalized. The question is, why?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5994622,-77.5567656,3a,86y,290.92h,92.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8Hs1cO_LpfvOyRb05_Q-Vg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

I think the better question is why you have such high standards for signalized intersections. You seem to want to dispose of quite a lot of signals in North Carolina.

Wesley Church Rd could be high speed, making lefts off the freeway harder to make. Plus visibility may not be great either, for either turn (both need to clear traffic from the left).

tolbs17

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 01, 2021, 05:49:51 PM
I think this junction can do without a signal. When the northwest bypass gets built, they should definitely remove it.

You sure about that?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

SkyPesos

I think the location of this signal is really odd and should be removed and replaced with 4 way stops immediately!

/s

tolbs17

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 30, 2021, 09:41:13 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on May 01, 2021, 05:49:51 PM
I think this junction can do without a signal. When the northwest bypass gets built, they should definitely remove it.

You sure about that?
Depending on the AADT, which I'm sure will be lower. But it prolly won't get removed because of the factory nearby.

But it probably won't get removed due to visibility issues and high AADT on the arterial.

It's the same reason why US-264/US-301 and the US-70 (Goldsboro Bypass)/US-13 is siganlized.

tolbs17

A superstreet was initially proposed at the Briarcliff Dr intersection.

Then a year later, the plans were changed to a traffic light.

The school provides a good reason why that intersection is worth being signalized.

US 89

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 24, 2021, 01:16:42 PM

The school provides a good reason why that intersection is worth being signalized.

You're really going to have to give more context. The only street named Briarcliff I know off the top of my head is in Atlanta and it definitely does not look like that.

I figured you might have meant Greenville NC since that's your profile city, and was able to use Google to find a Briarcliff Dr with an intersection that looks sort of like the ones in your images. Then I spent several minutes trying to find the school you were talking about. That is way more effort than most people on here probably care to make.

If anyone else is as confused as I was, here is a handy link to the intersection I assume he's talking about: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5938138,-77.4294195,230m/data=!3m1!1e3

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on August 04, 2021, 04:02:14 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 24, 2021, 01:16:42 PM

You're really going to have to give more context. The only street named Briarcliff I know off the top of my head is in Atlanta and it definitely does not look like that.

I figured you might have meant Greenville NC since that's your profile city, and was able to use Google to find a Briarcliff Dr with an intersection that looks sort of like the ones in your images. Then I spent several minutes trying to find the school you were talking about. That is way more effort than most people on here probably care to make.

If anyone else is as confused as I was, here is a handy link to the intersection I assume he's talking about: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5938138,-77.4294195,230m/data=!3m1!1e3

Bloody nora. Thanks for the detective work. Didn't realize we had to solve a riddle to respond to tolbs's posts. I know I pretty much immediately scanned past this post the first time.

But more to the point: what in the world makes the proposal an "odd signalized intersection"?

Un/fortunately, given his recent absence (why may or may not have been forced), we may never know...

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on August 04, 2021, 04:02:14 PM
Then I spent several minutes trying to find the school you were talking about.

Lakeforest Elementary School, for the 2.6 people interested.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Don't know if I posted this already but a signal is planned to come to the Frog Level intersection and US-13/264A!! I was thinking two right turn lanes would be the best for right turns from Frog Level road, but I'm fine with what they are planning.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Pages/Letting-Details.aspx?let_type=2&let_date=2021-12-08%2000:00:00

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.