News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2021 Supply Disruptions

Started by ZLoth, April 13, 2021, 03:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Our regular brand of cat litter seems to be in short supply. Both Chewy and Petsmart are out of stock.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

This is probably the only good thing about the fact that we have to feed our dog this special, prescription-only dog food that's 3x the cost of regular dog food: There haven't been any runs on it.

JKRhodes

Quote from: hbelkins on February 02, 2022, 10:33:36 AM
I'm still noticing ongoing shortages of pet food. We no longer have a dog, but we still have cats, and the selection of both dry and canned food has been very sparse the last couple of weeks.

Also, and this seems a bit odd, saltine crackers are in short supply in these parts.

Definitely seeing this as well in Arizona. It's hard to keep our cats on a consistent diet because we have to choose from whatever happens to be available. They live primarily on dry food and share one can of wet food (pate) at bedtime.

ZLoth

I'm have to order a new over-the-range microwave. Thanks to a mis-entry of the cooking time by a member of my home (40 minutes instead of 4 minutes), a frozen meal was completely carbonized and stank up the house. While the microwave still works, and despite the best effort at cleaning, I can't get rid of the burnt smell. The microwave is around 20 years old, and I've been wanting a new microwave. Off to Costco online I go, partially because I had some gift cards that I kept on standby for exactly this type of situation.

The earliest possible delivery date? April 14th for the order placed last Saturday.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

triplemultiplex

Quote from: ZLoth on February 22, 2022, 06:11:44 AM
I'm have to order a new over-the-range microwave. Thanks to a mis-entry of the cooking time by a member of my home (40 minutes instead of 4 minutes), a frozen meal was completely carbonized and stank up the house. While the microwave still works, and despite the best effort at cleaning, I can't get rid of the burnt smell. The microwave is around 20 years old, and I've been wanting a new microwave. Off to Costco online I go

I did almost the same thing last year.  Hit the wrong button on some popcorn (something I've never done despite making popcorn a million times!) and circumstances caused me to miss the error until that shit was "well done". 
Except in my, case, I didn't even try to clean that sucker.  I immediately took it outside and threw it in the lawn.  I knew it was a lost cause.
(Then later I properly disposed of it, but I was really mad in the moment and it felt really good to shot-put that sumbitch onto the grass. :sombrero: )

Fortunately, there were microwaves in stock when I went to the store later that week.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kalvado

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 22, 2022, 03:17:06 PM
I'm have to order a new over-the-range microwave. Thanks to a mis-entry of the cooking time by a member of my home (40 minutes instead of 4 minutes), a frozen meal was completely carbonized and stank up the house. While the microwave still works, and despite the best effort at cleaning, I can't get rid of the burnt smell. The microwave is around 20 years old, and I've been wanting a new microwave. Off to Costco online I go

I did almost the same thing last year.  Hit the wrong button on some popcorn (something I've never done despite making popcorn a million times!) and circumstances caused me to miss the error until that shit was "well done". 
Except in my, case, I didn't even try to clean that sucker.  I immediately took it outside and threw it in the lawn.  I knew it was a lost cause.
(Then later I properly disposed of it, but I was really mad in the moment and it felt really good to shot-put that sumbitch onto the grass. :sombrero: )

Fortunately, there were microwaves in stock when I went to the store later that week.
A better one. Same issue, pizza heated for 30 min instead of 30 seconds in a microwave. In the lab building. Date: 12/23 or so.

How do I learn about it: a fire alarm sounds, everyone evacuates, I am a poor freezing guy in a shaking crowd on a parking lot.  Fire trucks roll in (we have enough stuff in the building not to joke about a fire alarm), and ladies from EHS department are running to assess the situation and to meet those truck - running dressed up and on high heels since they were having a local holiday party...

Santa was laughing at us from his sled.

hbelkins

There's been a shortage of canned biscuits in my area and in some other grocery stores across Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on February 22, 2022, 05:22:17 PM
There's been a shortage of canned biscuits in my area and in some other grocery stores across Kentucky.
That's why I buy Powdered Milk Biscuits in the Big Blue Box.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on February 22, 2022, 05:45:59 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 22, 2022, 05:22:17 PM
That's why I buy Powdered Milk Biscuits in the Big Blue Box.
Heavens, they're tasty!

-- US 175 --

I can't count how many spotty, war-torn, hide-and-seek (, etcetc) product shelf displays I saw at the Walmart up the street over the weekend.  I couldn't tell how much was supply chain issues, or customers making messes, or store employees not keeping up.  And supposedly this store had recently been remodeled and rearranged.  One of the more disappointing grocery trips of the pandemic era.

Scott5114

Is a trip to Walmart ever not disappointing?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2022, 04:10:08 PM
:-D
I'm genuinely struggling to recall one that wasn't in some way.

I've never left a Walmart feeling "Wow, that was great. I'm really glad I came here today."
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2022, 04:10:08 PMIs a trip to Walmart ever not disappointing?
Only when I score an amazing Black Friday deal.

formulanone

I have to admit, it's not so bad at 8-9am when they're almost empty. You can hear yourself think, and other shoppers haven't worked up the energy to be rude or thoughtless by that point. There's no whining kids, most shoppers are alone, and there's a much lower chance of something shady happening in the parking lot.

It might only happen once or twice a year, but there you go.

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on February 23, 2022, 06:18:57 PM

I have to admit, it's not so bad at 8-9am when they're almost empty. You can hear yourself think, and other shoppers haven't worked up the energy to be rude or thoughtless by that point.

I mean, you still have to deal with the bashed-up merchandise, the aisles being so narrow that passing anyone in them qualifies as going on a first date with them, the camera system chinging at you obnoxiously, nothing being in the same place as it was the last time you went there, and the cashiers putting each item in its own flimsy plastic bag (would it kill Walmart to have paper bags?)...

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2022, 06:22:25 PM

I have to admit, it's not so bad at 8-9am when they're almost empty. You can hear yourself think, and other shoppers haven't worked up the energy to be rude or thoughtless by that point.

I mean, you still have to deal with the bashed-up merchandise, the aisles being so narrow that passing anyone in them qualifies as going on a first date with them, the camera system chinging at you obnoxiously, nothing being in the same place as it was the last time you went there, and the cashiers putting each item in its own flimsy plastic bag (would it kill Walmart to have paper bags?)...

Or in states where Walmart doesn't want to pay cashiers, long lines at the self checkout because shoppers can't scan their own items efficiently and bag them at a decent pace.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on February 24, 2022, 12:12:22 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2022, 06:22:25 PM

Or in states where Walmart doesn't want to pay cashiers, long lines at the self checkout because shoppers can't scan their own items efficiently and bag them at a decent pace.

Before the pandemic, there were times of the day when they didn't even have any cashier lines open and all transactions had to go through self-checkout. Since the pandemic, they close overnight, so you have another potential source of disappointment–arriving at a closed Walmart.

ZLoth

Quote from: snowc on March 03, 2022, 10:32:32 AM
I'm have to order a new over-the-range microwave. Thanks to a mis-entry of the cooking time by a member of my home (40 minutes instead of 4 minutes), a frozen meal was completely carbonized and stank up the house. While the microwave still works, and despite the best effort at cleaning, I can't get rid of the burnt smell. The microwave is around 20 years old, and I've been wanting a new microwave. Off to Costco online I go, partially because I had some gift cards that I kept on standby for exactly this type of situation.

The earliest possible delivery date? April 14th for the order placed last Saturday.
Lucky me had warranty on our 3 year old microwave. We were cooking something and a burnt plastic smell kept reeking the house! And the solution was to get rid of it? I don't think so! We went online and filed a warranty claim, and the service guy was VERY nice! He couldn't find the problem, but after digging and digging, it was the power supply! It wouldn't even come off! So they had to order the part and came back 24 hours later and had it all done within a hour! :wow: Also we had couches delivered while this was going on! Here's the funny thing too, THIS WAS PERFORMED DURING CORONAVIRUS! :colorful:

The manufacturing date code on the current microwave is April, 2005, which makes my old microwave almost 17 years old. At what point do you put consider repairing verses replacing?

Also, the delivery date is now March 11th in the afternoon. Too bad I haven't even found someone to put in a roof or side vent per my mother's request. :(
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

snowc

Quote from: ZLoth on March 04, 2022, 01:03:44 AM

Lucky me had warranty on our 3 year old microwave. We were cooking something and a burnt plastic smell kept reeking the house! And the solution was to get rid of it? I don't think so! We went online and filed a warranty claim, and the service guy was VERY nice! He couldn't find the problem, but after digging and digging, it was the power supply! It wouldn't even come off! So they had to order the part and came back 24 hours later and had it all done within a hour! :wow: Also we had couches delivered while this was going on! Here's the funny thing too, THIS WAS PERFORMED DURING CORONAVIRUS! :colorful:

The manufacturing date code on the current microwave is April, 2005, which makes my old microwave almost 17 years old. At what point do you put consider repairing verses replacing?

Also, the delivery date is now March 11th in the afternoon. Too bad I haven't even found someone to put in a roof or side vent per my mother's request. :(
The replacement is worthless, as this microwave was under warranty.

ZLoth

Quote from: snowc on March 04, 2022, 02:40:54 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on March 04, 2022, 01:03:44 AM
Lucky me had warranty on our 3 year old microwave. We were cooking something and a burnt plastic smell kept reeking the house! And the solution was to get rid of it? I don't think so! We went online and filed a warranty claim, and the service guy was VERY nice!

The replacement is worthless, as this microwave was under warranty.

If it's under warranty, take advantage of the warranty (sheesh). I'm talking about my 17 year old microwave.

ZLoth

How expensive chlorine has gotten, and how my pool has turned into "the money pit". My pool maintenance person advised me at the end of January to have a backup supply of chlorine tablets, pool shock, and muriatic acid, as his normal avenues may not have a steady supply. So, I went off to Amazon and order a 25 pound tub of chlorine tablets. At the time of order (late January), the tub was $180. As of this writing, $289. This was for something that, prior to May, 2021, was just $95 which is just slightly below the price of a 10 pound tub of 3 inch chlorine tablets nowadays ($100). You can blame Hurricane Laura for wiping out a major chlorine manufacturer in Louisiana in 2020, which won't be online until later on this year.

snowc

Quote from: ZLoth on March 14, 2022, 06:38:03 AM
How expensive chlorine has gotten, and how my pool has turned into "the money pit". My pool maintenance person advised me at the end of January to have a backup supply of chlorine tablets, pool shock, and muriatic acid, as his normal avenues may not have a steady supply. So, I went off to Amazon and order a 25 pound tub of chlorine tablets. At the time of order (late January), the tub was $180. As of this writing, $289. This was for something that, prior to May, 2021, was just $95 which is just slightly below the price of a 10 pound tub of 3 inch chlorine tablets nowadays ($100). You can blame Hurricane Laura for wiping out a major chlorine manufacturer in Louisiana in 2020, which won't be online until later on this year.
i dont have a pool, so i dont have to worry.  :D

kalvado

Quote from: snowc on March 14, 2022, 09:09:13 AM
As far as I understand, same type of stuff goes into public water systems for disinfection. So if you have city water, you may take a notice.

skluth

My old house had one. Smartest thing I did was having it torn out.

ZLoth

Quote from: skluth on March 14, 2022, 11:40:36 AM
i don't have a pool, so i don't have to worry.  :D
My old house had one. Smartest thing I did was having it torn out.

When I moved to Texas and was looking for a home, a pool was on the list of "things that I really didn't want", but wasn't a deal killer. It had everything else that I wanted/needed, including two story, four bedrooms, high-speed internet, and within walking distance to my workplace as I was job relocated. And, Dallas summers can get really hot.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.