AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Joe Biden Expressway in Scranton  (Read 14776 times)

abefroman329

• Last Login: October 17, 2023, 11:38:46 AM
Re: Joe Biden Expressway in Scranton
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2021, 01:39:46 PM »

Regardless of your political beliefs, he was a longtime senator, VP, and the President who is the most famous person from Scranton. I'm no fan of Bush but I think it's appropriate to have roads named after him (them) in Texas.
The Bushes were from Connecticut.
But their political legacies were made in Texas.

The road probably dead ends a half mile past the sign.
At least it wouldn't go right off a cliff like a road named after another president in recent memory.

Which Chicagoland expressway would that be?

He already has his name on a gaudy, mostly-empty skyscraper downtown.  It's right on the Chicago River.  You can't miss it [the building or the name].
Oh.  We're talking about Obama.
No, Obama wasn't from Connecticut.
Well, I know a building on the Chicago River  with a former president from Queens on it.
Oh. Is it yuuuuge?

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2021, 02:07:08 PM »

Regardless of your political beliefs, he was a longtime senator, VP, and the President who is the most famous person from Scranton. I'm no fan of Bush but I think it's appropriate to have roads named after him (them) in Texas.
But their political legacies were made in Texas.

The road probably dead ends a half mile past the sign.
At least it wouldn't go right off a cliff like a road named after another president in recent memory.

Which Chicagoland expressway would that be?

He already has his name on a gaudy, mostly-empty skyscraper downtown.  It's right on the Chicago River.  You can't miss it [the building or the name].
Oh.  We're talking about Obama.
No, Obama wasn't from Connecticut.
Well, I know a building on the Chicago River  with a former president from Queens on it.
Oh. Is it yuuuuge?
Fuccillo for President?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2021, 02:30:11 PM »

I still want to know if Pennsylvania has abandoned Clearview for good.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

skluth

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 03:35:22 PM
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2021, 03:11:36 PM »

That's just being pedantic. HW and especially W identified as being from Texas. W was even part owner of the Texas Rangers for a while, not to mention governor of Texas.

I do agree with not naming anything after anyone living. Period. St Louis couldn't remove the signs on the Mark McGwire Freeway fast enough after the MLB steroid scandal.

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2021, 06:15:20 PM »

That's just being pedantic. HW and especially W identified as being from Texas. W was even part owner of the Texas Rangers for a while, not to mention governor of Texas.

I do agree with not naming anything after anyone living. Period. St Louis couldn't remove the signs on the Mark McGwire Freeway fast enough after the MLB steroid scandal.
What if the steroids were revealed after McGwire died?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2021, 09:03:36 PM »

What if the steroids were revealed after McGwire died?
Then you deal with it later.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2021, 12:28:11 AM »

Amazing what people will say about themselves when it is politically expedient to do so.  There was a big reason why they'd run off to Kennebunkport rather than closer climes to Texas.  Texas was business; New England was home.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 01:42:09 AM
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2021, 11:13:17 AM »

Well I have lived in Florida most of my adult life. I came from New Jersey originally but I could say I am a Florida resident if I ever ran for an Office.

The thing is we have to get used to a disposable world where things will come and go fast. Look at Compact Discs and Floppy Discs. They came as the the thing and now are forgotten.

We have to deal with BS like it or not, and we have to live with people in power whom we dislike. It’s life.  Same with lying or exaggerating which is been the norm for years in all aspects of life.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2021, 02:04:10 PM »

I still want to know if Pennsylvania is still using FHWA for new guide sign installations instead of Clearview on a statewide basis. It would be a major surprise if one of the innovators and early adopters and advocates for Clearview has now abandoned it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LilianaUwU

• :3

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:51 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2021, 01:09:13 PM »

My nitpick is, of all things, with the mismatched patch with the new name in FHWA and the Exprwy abbreviation in Clearview.

Also, "Exprwy"? Shouldn't it be "Expwy"?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Roadsguy

• Last Login: March 03, 2024, 05:39:14 PM
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2021, 01:53:00 PM »

My nitpick is, of all things, with the mismatched patch with the new name in FHWA and the Exprwy abbreviation in Clearview.

Presumably the original sign was Clearview and they only overlaid the "Central Scranton" text, rather than the entire name.

I still want to know if Pennsylvania is still using FHWA for new guide sign installations instead of Clearview on a statewide basis. It would be a major surprise if one of the innovators and early adopters and advocates for Clearview has now abandoned it.

I've posted in the general Pennsylvania thread about this since I'd also like to know if this is a good sign (heh) for PennDOT's future signage, or if it's just a fluke (perhaps a result of city involvement?). Discussion in this thread seems primarily focused on the name change itself rather than the updated signage.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

LilianaUwU

• :3

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:51 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2021, 05:18:17 PM »

Presumably the original sign was Clearview and they only overlaid the "Central Scranton" text, rather than the entire name.

Yeah, that's literally what happened. But the clash between FHWA and Clearview is still odd.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

storm2k

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 01:57:58 PM
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2021, 09:11:04 PM »

I'm more annoyed by their abbreviation of "Exprwy" rather than "Expy" or "Expwy" as is the traditional way.

tylert120

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:58:38 PM
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2021, 09:44:47 PM »

1.) I've seen photos that show the greenout done in FHWA, leaving only the bottom line in Clearview. I'm shocked -- shocked -- that Pennsylvania has abandoned Clearview.

Clearview is alive and well in PA. Those signs were probably made by a contractor.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:36:44 PM
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2021, 08:33:57 AM »

PennDOT installed replacement Clearview signage on I-79 near Pittsburgh last year. PTC also replaced some tolling-related signage on the Mon-Fayette Expressway with Clearview this year.

For larger projects, it seems like it depends on when the plans were drafted. The I-70 widening near Washington received FHWA signage this year. Signs for the Southern Beltway that just went up are also in FHWA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.