News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Beam transport malfunction

Started by MaxConcrete, September 03, 2021, 12:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021/09/02/70-ton-concrete-beam-gets-stuck-under-rockwall-overpass-blocking-major-road/

A truck hauling a large concrete beam got wedged under a Rockwall overpass Thursday, blocking traffic on a major road during the evening rush hour.

Officials said about 6:30 p.m. that the 70-ton beam was stuck on State Highway 205 beneath Interstate 30.

It was not clear how, exactly, the truck came to be in such a predicament.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kphoger

I thought this thread was going to be about Star Trek...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on September 03, 2021, 01:45:08 PM

Good, it wasn't just me.

Rick Powell

Quote from: SectorZ on September 03, 2021, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 03, 2021, 01:45:08 PM

Good, it wasn't just me.

Fast forward to 2121. Beams don't get stuck under bridges any more - they just fail to materialize at the job site!

Bobby5280

Then there's this incident that happened in Luling, TX a few days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75cvVMFzRo

A truck hauling a really long wind turbine blade got hung up on a railroad crossing while trying to make a right turn. Couldn't get out of the way in time.

One might ask: why was the truck was making a tight turn there? The truck and its support vehicles had to go through Luling to get from point A to point B. They were probably coming from I-10 heading to either San Marcos or Austin. There is no bypass around Luling. The way San Marcos is growing TX DOT will probably need to build one soon -as part of a freeway or toll road spanning between San Marcos and I-10.

NE2

What we got back...didn't last long.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bwana39

I guess he had been to the T/A and was getting back on I-30. In this stretch of I-30 there aren't any truck stops on the North side of I-30. Love's in Mount Vernon or Circle K in Greenville are about it. I am not sure either of them is any better trying to manipulate a load that size.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

wxfree

He was trying to drift in order to make that turn faster and miscalculated.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

DJStephens

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 03, 2021, 11:13:36 PM

A truck hauling a really long wind turbine blade got hung up on a railroad crossing while trying to make a right turn. Couldn't get out of the way in time.

One might ask: why was the truck was making a tight turn there? The truck and its support vehicles had to go through Luling to get from point A to point B. They were probably coming from I-10 heading to either San Marcos or Austin. There is no bypass around Luling. The way San Marcos is growing TX DOT will probably need to build one soon -as part of a freeway or toll road spanning between San Marcos and I-10.
Believe those wind turbines are being manufactured on the Mexican side of the border currently.  There used to be a facility in Canutillo, TX, but it is not producing those anymore.   Caravans of three blades (one per truck) are a common sight along both I-25 heading N from El Paso, US 54 heading N, and US 62-180 E from El Paso.   Likely a real bear to get around Carlsbad, NM, no credible bypass exists.
Saw another struggle, with one of the blades being hauled through Tularosa, NM, at the intersection of US 54 and 70.    Have seen Mine truck beds, being transported around the S side of Carlsbad on NM - 31, which is a beat up two lane state road.   A good argument could be made - for complete limited access upgrades of US 62 -180 clear across SE New Mexico.  It could have been done forty years ago, fairly easily.   

hbelkins

I saw another video last week, which I also think may have been from Texas, of a train destroying a standard box trailer. The truck had somehow gotten jackknifed on the crossing, and the crossing arm actually came down between the cab and the trailer. In that video, the trailer was pulled away from the cab but the cab otherwise remained upright and undamaged.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bobby5280

Quote from: DJStephensBelieve those wind turbines are being manufactured on the Mexican side of the border currently.  There used to be a facility in Canutillo, TX, but it is not producing those anymore. Caravans of three blades (one per truck) are a common sight along both I-25 heading N from El Paso, US 54 heading N, and US 62-180 E from El Paso. Likely a real bear to get around Carlsbad, NM, no credible bypass exists.

I'm used to seeing wind turbine parts being hauled by freight trains. However railroads don't go to all the places trucks can reach.

Carlsbad would indeed be pretty rough for one of those wind turbine truck caravans to navigate. It might be do-able if they were coming up from the South and going North of US-285. The broad left turn as US-285 moves from Canal Street to Pierce Street is the worst obstacle. If they have to hang a right turn in downtown Carlsbad to follow US-62 they'll be screwed. On the bright side the BNSF rail crossing is a few blocks East of the Canal & Greene Street intersection and not right there at the turn.

There are all kinds of towns in New Mexico, West Texas and even here in Oklahoma that have similar obstacles.

Brian556

I checked this location on GSV. The truck was cutting through the gas station. That is the only way it could have got hung up on the crossing signal, given how far the crossing is from the parallel highway

Bobby5280

If he was trying to cut through the Shell gas station parking lot on the NE corner of the US-90/US-183 intersection it was probably because it was geometrically impossible for him to hang the hard right turn in the normal manner. The length of the trailer would force the trucker well into the intersection before he could start turning the wheel. But that trick works for a trailer only so long, especially when turning right.

froggie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9qhP2yvBGo

Here's a local TV news report about the crash, including video from the Circle K gas station on the other side of the tracks from the video Bobby posted.

davewiecking

Having checked this out on Google Earth, it seems to me that staying on I-10 W for a extra exit would eliminate the need to follow US-183's turn in the middle of town. But is that kind of traffic appropriate for TX-80?

abqtraveler

Quote from: MaxConcrete on September 03, 2021, 12:14:11 PM

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021/09/02/70-ton-concrete-beam-gets-stuck-under-rockwall-overpass-blocking-major-road/

A truck hauling a large concrete beam got wedged under a Rockwall overpass Thursday, blocking traffic on a major road during the evening rush hour.

Officials said about 6:30 p.m. that the 70-ton beam was stuck on State Highway 205 beneath Interstate 30.

It was not clear how, exactly, the truck came to be in such a predicament.
That truck driver's having a REALLY bad day!
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.