Why haven’t all gas stations stopped allowing people to get gas before they pay?

Started by thspfc, September 28, 2021, 10:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

thspfc

Quote from: Big John on November 23, 2021, 05:29:30 PM
Kwik Trip is going to institute that policy as the number of drive offs have increased.
Heard about that as well, I know a lot of people who work there. It's about time.

thspfc

Quote from: mgk920 on November 24, 2021, 11:40:00 PM
Most of the stations that I frequent here in northeastern Wisconsin are still pump then pay.  A lot of people around here are still 'handshake deal' honest and upstanding.

Mike
It's a fair bet that a major reason KT took this long to end drive-offs was because pump then pay creates that sort of old-timey trust and respect between business and customer. Maybe it's just me, but to me, it does the opposite. It makes KT seem poorly run and unorganized. Call me a pessimist, but I simply don't have the level of trust in strangers that most Midwesterners do.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on December 02, 2021, 10:29:14 PM
Most of the stations that I frequent here in northeastern Wisconsin are still pump then pay.  A lot of people around here are still 'handshake deal' honest and upstanding.

Mike
It's a fair bet that a major reason KT took this long to end drive-offs was because pump then pay creates that sort of old-timey trust and respect between business and customer. Maybe it's just me, but to me, it does the opposite. It makes KT seem poorly run and unorganized. Call me a pessimist, but I simply don't have the level of trust in strangers that most Midwesterners do.

I think it was more because pay after pump encouraged people to come inside and add to their total bill with concessions, which gas stations make a much higher profit margin on than the gasoline. And needless to say, Kwik Trip spends a lot of marketing on their food products.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

US 89

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 03, 2021, 12:48:18 AM
Quote from: thspfc on December 02, 2021, 10:29:14 PM

Mike

I think it was more because pay after pump encouraged people to come inside and add to their total bill with concessions, which gas stations make a much higher profit margin on than the gasoline. And needless to say, Kwik Trip spends a lot of marketing on their food products.

True, but that argument should apply everywhere. Pay after pumping has not really been a thing in the US outside the upper Midwest for the last 20+ years. So clearly there is some sort of regional cultural element at play here.

SSOWorld

Kwik Trip can quit the annoying "any gas out there" question by bored clerks who are obligated to verify every fuel purchase.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.