News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Must-have utility programs for Windows

Started by ZLoth, November 03, 2021, 02:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

What is some of the must-have utility software that you install on a Windows computer? I'm not talking about the web browsers, extensions, or your office suite, but rather those little utilities to make my work and personal life easier, and to improve my productivity. Here's my list:

• ShareX - This is a free swiss army knife of a screen capture utility that puts the Microsoft Snipping Tool to shame. Want to capture only a selected window? No problem. Edit the screenshot before capture with a highlight, a balloon for annotation, or even a blur to hide confidential information? No problem. Automatically save the screen shot to a folder with a specific pattern that has the date/time of the screen shot plus the window name? No problem. Upload it to a file sharing service? You got it. Generate a MP4 recording of a section of the screen? I use it all the time when collaborating with a team that is in another time zone.
  • Notepad++ - I can't believe I forgot this in my original posting. What initially attacted me to Notepad++ many years ago was that it was a tabbed text editor, but anyone who has used it for any length of time can tell you it is extremely functional, especially with the code format functions and the plug-ins. Thanks to the DSpellCheck plug-in, I am often pre-composing my replies in Notepad, spell-checking them, and then pasting it into email or a board entry. And, with MIME Tools and XML Tools, I am able to decode a SAML assertion for Single Sign On (SSO) and then make the resulting XML into something human-readable.
  • Ditto - I've been utilizing this clipboard manager for over a decade so that I can have multiple items available for pasting, including a "Plain Text Paste". In addition, there are some items that I am constantly re-pasting, including some templates, and I can have those as persistent entries that don't expire. Also, there is an editor in Ditto allowing me to edit the clipboard entries.
  • Path Copy Copy - Path Copy Copy is a Windows Explorer extension that adds entries to the contextual menu shown for files and folders, allowing the user to copy the item's name or path in a variety of formats. This is invaluable in my role of writing up software documentation and support case notes.
  • Microsoft Powertoys - A couple of nice add-ons developed by Microsoft. One of the new features of the .49 release is the "Find My Mouse", which is handy because I have both my personal desktop and my work laptop hooked up to the same monitor, and am switching between the two. By hitting Control twice, I know where my mouse pointer is located. In addition, it includes PowerRename which is a decent bulk renaming utility and a easy image resizer.
  • Métamorphose - This bulk renaming utility allows me to set up a series of rule when renaming a batch of files, including pulling the date of when I took a photo. Whats annoying is that this utility hasn't been updated in TEN years. I am trying out Bulk Rename Utility and Advanced Renamer as modern alternatives, but they are free only for personal use.
  • KeePass - It's my master password manager, with a subset of the passwords stored in LastPass. Yes, I believe in strong, unique passwords for all the sites that I access. My password file are stored on a cloud drive which is backed up to a personal-owned server.
  • Paint.net - Although I don't use this as often now for screen shot annotation, it is still a very impressive image editing program.
  • WinMerge - Open Source differentiating and merging tool for Windows. WinMerge can compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand and handle.
  • PuTTY - SSH/Telnet program that is free.
  • 7-Zip - This free archive utility unpacks archives from multiple formats (including RAR), but also does creates the high-compressable 7z and zip archives as well.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on November 03, 2021, 02:43:00 PM
What is some of the must-have utility software that you install on a Windows computer?

Linux. :P

For real though, I think the only functionality on that list that doesn't just come with KDE on Linux is the mouse-finding one.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dirt Roads

Microsoft Powertoys - A couple of nice add-ons developed by Microsoft. One of the new features of the .49 release is the "Find My Mouse", which is handy because I have both my personal desktop and my work laptop hooked up to the same monitor, and am switching between the two. By hitting Control twice, I know where my mouse pointer is located. In addition, it includes PowerRename which is a decent bulk renaming utility and a easy image resizer.

Those fancy mouse features were a great feature of some of the older version of Windows.  Seems to me that it was Windows 98 or Windows NT that had the "Find My Mouse" capability, as well as a setting that briefly increased the mouse size whenever a movement of more than X pixels was detected (you could set the value).  I miss those days.

gonealookin

Password manager:  I haven't used KeePass.  I used to use LastPass but dumped it when they changed their pricing structure.  Bitwarden works perfectly across Windows, Mac and Android and I like it better than I did LastPass.

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 03, 2021, 03:02:22 PM
What is some of the must-have utility software that you install on a Windows computer?

That's nice, but I'm part of the 75% that utilizes Windows.... for better or worse. And that's a religious argument for another thread.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

snowc

What is some of the must-have utility software that you install on a Windows computer? I'm not talking about the web browsers, extensions, or your office suite, but rather those little utilities to make my work and personal life easier, and to improve my productivity. Here's my list:

• ShareX - This is a free swiss army knife of a screen capture utility that puts the Microsoft Snipping Tool to shame. Want to capture only a selected window? No problem. Edit the screenshot before capture with a highlight, a balloon for annotation, or even a blur to hide confidential information? No problem. Automatically save the screen shot to a folder with a specific pattern that has the date/time of the screen shot plus the window name? No problem. Upload it to a file sharing service? You got it. Generate a MP4 recording of a section of the screen? I use it all the time when collaborating with a team that is in another time zone.
  • Ditto - I've been utilizing this clipboard manager for over a decade so that I can have multiple items available for pasting, including a "Plain Text Paste". In addition, there are some items that I am constantly re-pasting, including some templates, and I can have those as persistent entries that don't expire. Also, there is an editor in Ditto allowing me to edit the clipboard entries.
  • Path Copy Copy - Path Copy Copy is a Windows Explorer extension that adds entries to the contextual menu shown for files and folders, allowing the user to copy the item's name or path in a variety of formats. This is invaluable in my role of writing up software documentation and support case notes.
  • Microsoft Powertoys - A couple of nice add-ons developed by Microsoft. One of the new features of the .49 release is the "Find My Mouse", which is handy because I have both my personal desktop and my work laptop hooked up to the same monitor, and am switching between the two. By hitting Control twice, I know where my mouse pointer is located. In addition, it includes PowerRename which is a decent bulk renaming utility and a easy image resizer.
  • Métamorphose - This bulk renaming utility allows me to set up a series of rule when renaming a batch of files, including pulling the date of when I took a photo. Whats annoying is that this utility hasn't been updated in TEN years. I am trying out Bulk Rename Utility and Advanced Renamer as modern alternatives, but they are free only for personal use.
  • KeePass - It's my master password manager, with a subset of the passwords stored in LastPass. Yes, I believe in strong, unique passwords for all the sites that I access. My password file are stored on a cloud drive which is backed up to a personal-owned server.
  • Paint.net - Although I don't use this as often now for screen shot annotation, it is still a very impressive image editing program.
  • WinMerge - Open Source differentiating and merging tool for Windows. WinMerge can compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand and handle.
  • PuTTY - SSH/Telnet program that is free.
Ditto with ShareX!

And yes, I got windows 11 on my 10+year old computer

Bruce

One I can recommend: Everything

It's a simple but more powerful file search utility. Way faster than Windows Explorer.

snowc

Quote from: Bruce on November 03, 2021, 03:43:25 PM
One I can recommend: Everything

It's a simple but more powerful file search utility. Way faster than Windows Explorer.
I use that. When my power went out, had to search for a file that I had back in June 2019, and found it. Believe it, its slow!  :banghead:

ZLoth

I can't believe I forgot 7-Zip - This free archive utility unpacks archives from multiple formats (including RAR), but also does creates the high-compressable 7z and zip archives as well.

dlsterner

What is some of the must-have utility software that you install on a Windows computer? I'm not talking about the web browsers, extensions, or your office suite, but rather those little utilities to make my work and personal life easier, and to improve my productivity.

Windows uninstaller.    :bigass:

hbelkins

MP3Tag. It's a handy little program that will retrieve cover art and tag information. I've used it extensively. There's a Mac version, but it's not freeware and won't run on my older OS. But I have managed to find a Windows version wrapped in a "wine bottle" that I use on my Mac.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ZLoth

Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2021, 01:46:02 PM
MP3Tag. It's a handy little program that will retrieve cover art and tag information. I've used it extensively. There's a Mac version, but it's not freeware and won't run on my older OS. But I have managed to find a Windows version wrapped in a "wine bottle" that I use on my Mac.

Agreed, I use it on my personal Windows computer after I rip a CD or download a soundtrack.

ZLoth

Notepad++ - I can't believe I forgot this in my original posting. What initially attacted me to Notepad++ many years ago was that it was a tabbed text editor, but anyone who has used it for any length of time can tell you it is extremely functional, especially with the code format functions and the plug-ins. Thanks to the DSpellCheck plug-in, I am often pre-composing my replies in Notepad, spell-checking them, and then pasting it into email or a board entry. And, with MIME Tools and XML Tools, I am able to decode a SAML assertion for Single Sign On (SSO) and then make the resulting XML into something human-readable.

SSOWorld

Quote from: ZLoth on November 05, 2021, 05:49:55 AM
Notepad++ - I can't believe I forgot this in my original posting. What initially attacted me to Notepad++ many years ago was that it was a tabbed text editor, but anyone who has used it for any length of time can tell you it is extremely functional, especially with the code format functions and the plug-ins. Thanks to the DSpellCheck plug-in, I am often pre-composing my replies in Notepad, spell-checking them, and then pasting it into email or a board entry. And, with MIME Tools and XML Tools, I am able to decode a SAML assertion for Single Sign On (SSO) and then make the resulting XML into something human-readable.
Visual Studio Code >> Notepad++
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

formulanone

Faststone Image Viewer

I originally downloaded it for only browsing and organizing photos, but the image editing tools aren't half bad. :)

zachary_amaryllis

notepad++ also works nicely under linux, via wine.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

snowc

I use VScode. Its required for school to do computer related tasks like writing code in HTML.

vdeane

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 05, 2021, 10:01:11 AM

Meanwhile Linux distros tend to ship with text editors that are a LOT more capable than Windows Notepad, making it less likely that one would need Notepad++.

Also, don't most web browsers have spell check built in?  I now Chrome does, and the only think non-Chromium-derived that I can think of that's even remotely common on Windows is Firefox (unless god forbid one is still using IE).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

My Mac has spell check, but it has nothing to do with the browser; it applies to the entire computer except for certain applications (Python, username/password entry forms, and for some reason, the website version of Discord).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 05, 2021, 10:01:11 AM

Although Linux has so many ludicrously good native text editors, I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. Emacs has so many features that for a while its application icon was a kitchen sink. If you want something more mouse-driven, there's Kate.

ZLoth

Quote from: vdeane on November 05, 2021, 12:55:37 PMAlso, don't most web browsers have spell check built in?  I now Chrome does, and the only think non-Chromium-derived that I can think of that's even remotely common on Windows is Firefox (unless god forbid one is still using IE).

Yes, web browsers have spell check built in, and Internet Explorer will reach End-of-Support on June 15, 2022. But, what if I'm composing a detailed reply that involves research? Or, in a work environment opening up a collaboration with another engineering team and having to submit the collaboration request that has a four textboxes for requested information? I prefer that my collaborations are detailed for quicker resolution, thus I'm copying in log extracts, locations of where I stored the log files, and the actual names of the log files.

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 05, 2021, 01:20:54 PMAlthough Linux has so many ludicrously good native text editors, I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. Emacs has so many features that for a while its application icon was a kitchen sink. If you want something more mouse-driven, there's Kate.

Except that the title of the thread is "Must-have utility programs for Windows"

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on November 05, 2021, 02:23:22 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 05, 2021, 01:20:54 PMAlthough Linux has so many ludicrously good native text editors, I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. Emacs has so many features that for a while its application icon was a kitchen sink. If you want something more mouse-driven, there's Kate.

I asked an administrator and he said that it's fine. If he changes his mind, I suspect he'll remove my posts.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 05, 2021, 02:35:21 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on November 05, 2021, 02:23:22 PM

I asked an administrator and he said that it's fine. If he changes his mind, I suspect he'll remove my posts.

Get with the program, Scott...the trend is to make a similarly-named thread, whereby then we'll have a plethora of topics, culminating in discussions such as Must-have utility programs for OS/2, Must-have utility programs for MCP, and Help, I've Become Part of a Mainframe Computer Because Someone Left a Laser Running at ENCOM!

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on November 05, 2021, 03:19:44 PM
Get with the program, Scott...

Is it a must-have utility program, though?

Quote from: formulanone on November 05, 2021, 03:19:44 PM
the trend is to make a similarly-named thread, whereby then we'll have a plethora of topics, culminating in discussions such as Must-have utility programs for OS/2, Must-have utility programs for MCP, and Help, I've Become Part of a Mainframe Computer Because Someone Left a Laser Running at ENCOM!

I mean, we could also just let this thread continue along for years, with people increasingly getting more and more strident about how the utility programs posted to the thread are not really must-have utility programs, and most of them should be posted to the Unique, Odd & Interesting Utility Programs thread...until Alex gets fed up, locks this thread, and starts a new "Actually Must-Have Utility Programs", and the cycle repeats.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 03, 2021, 03:02:22 PM

WSL2 gets you the best of both worlds.  :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.