News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Christmas Music Already

Started by roadman65, November 17, 2021, 01:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I'm playing Wheel of Fortune and I spin the wheel
No part of this current puzzle is revealed
The wheel lands on 5,000 when it comes to rest
I call the letter L and hope for the best
No L, no L, no L, no L
I really thought I was doing so well
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

roadman65

Does anyone know what those lines in Verse 3 of Santa Claus Is ComingTo Town saying " Rooty Toot Toot and Rummy Tum Tum means?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2021, 11:43:10 AM
Does anyone know what those lines in Verse 3 of Santa Claus Is ComingTo Town saying " Rooty Toot Toot and Rummy Tum Tum means?
Onomatopoeia.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

Quote from: Rothman on December 12, 2021, 11:59:01 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2021, 11:43:10 AM
Onomatopoeia.

I used to wonder the same thing about the "pa-rum-pa-pum-pum" lyric in The Little Drummer Boy.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

A thing that bothers me is the recent inclusion of certain songs which are not Christmas music in Christmas playlists:

• "Linus and Lucy" by Vince Guaraldi: Guaraldi scored a half-dozen Peanuts specials and some arrangement of "Linus and Lucy" appeared in every single one of them. It's no more Christmas music for appearing in the Peanuts Christmas special than it is Halloween music for appearing in the Halloween special.
  • "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music: Snowflakes are mentioned, and some of the favorite things are vaguely winter-themed, like bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, and the brown paper packages tied in string could conceivably be Christmas presents. It's hard to see how raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens are, though, and winter explicitly melting into spring is very much not a Christmas thing.
  • Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D: What? I heard this tucked in between two Christmas songs at a Whataburger the other day. Is all classical music considered Christmas music now? Can we start getting the 1812 Overture and the Galop from Orpheus in the Underworld in our Christmas playlists then?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2021, 04:42:49 PM
  • Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D: What? I heard this tucked in between two Christmas songs at a Whataburger the other day. Is all classical music considered Christmas music now? Can we start getting the 1812 Overture and the Galop from Orpheus in the Underworld in our Christmas playlists then?

There's something called Christmas Canon. Are you sure you heard the original classical piece? (There is some instrumental part in Christmas Canon, but if you heard no singing for over one minute continuously, you heard the actual Pachelbel Canon.)

That said, I'm annoyed by My Favorite Things being included, too.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Scott5114

No, what I heard was straight up Canon in D, with no vocals at all. (It's a piece that means a lot to me because it's one of my grandmother's favorite songs to play on the piano and thus always makes me think of her when I hear it, so I'm going to be pretty damn irritated if it gets watered down into a generic Christmas song.)

Big John

One non-Christmas song played only at Christmas time-  Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg.

Rothman

A thing that bothers me is the recent inclusion of certain songs which are not Christmas music in Christmas playlists:

• "Linus and Lucy" by Vince Guaraldi: Guaraldi scored a half-dozen Peanuts specials and some arrangement of "Linus and Lucy" appeared in every single one of them. It's no more Christmas music for appearing in the Peanuts Christmas special than it is Halloween music for appearing in the Halloween special.
  • "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music: Snowflakes are mentioned, and some of the favorite things are vaguely winter-themed, like bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, and the brown paper packages tied in string could conceivably be Christmas presents. It's hard to see how raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens are, though, and winter explicitly melting into spring is very much not a Christmas thing.
Linus and Lucy's first use was in A Charlie Brown Christmas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2021, 04:53:43 PM
No, what I heard was straight up Canon in D, with no vocals at all. (It's a piece that means a lot to me because it's one of my grandmother's favorite songs to play on the piano and thus always makes me think of her when I hear it, so I'm going to be pretty damn irritated if it gets watered down into a generic Christmas song.)

Crazy, I used to listen to Canon in D on my grandparents' keyboard, so it brings back memories for me as well. I certainly don't think of it as a holiday song in any form or fashion. Might as well take the opportunity to link to it here. 1:55 still gives me chills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptk_1Dc2iPY

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on December 16, 2021, 05:01:07 PM

First use in a film–it was commissioned for a 1963 Charlie Brown documentary that was never released, and its first public release was on the Guaraldi album Jazz Impressions of A Boy Named Charlie Brown, containing all of the music he was commissioned to do for the documentary. A Charlie Brown Christmas wasn't released until the year after that album came out.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2021, 06:43:02 PM

First use in a film–it was commissioned for a 1963 Charlie Brown documentary that was never released, and its first public release was on the Guaraldi album Jazz Impressions of A Boy Named Charlie Brown, containing all of the music he was commissioned to do for the documentary. A Charlie Brown Christmas wasn't released until the year after that album came out.
Psst:  No one cared about the album and people associate it with the cartoon that entered into the American zeitgeist.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on December 16, 2021, 07:27:46 PM

Psst:  No one cared about the album and people associate it with the cartoon that entered into the American zeitgeist.

Psssst: I'm saying they're wrong to do so.

(Personally, I like Vince Guaraldi more than I like Peanuts, so...)

formulanone

I'm alright with a few songs that bend the rules. So many holiday traditions have shape-shifted and transformed from other practices over the centuries, so I'm okay with a holiday-themed instrumental popping into the mix every so often.

If people can swear that Die Hard is a Christmas movie, then by golly, the upbeat ditty that also graced a Christmas Special can get the nod until the next shiny thing comes along for inclusion.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2021, 07:29:14 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 16, 2021, 07:27:46 PM

Psssst: I'm saying they're wrong to do so.

(Personally, I like Vince Guaraldi more than I like Peanuts, so...)
Psssssssssst:  Popular opinion cannot be wrong.  It is a tune that is associated with the Christmas Special, no matter the existence of an obscure album.

Tilt at those windmills, Don Quixote.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on December 16, 2021, 07:44:12 PM
Popular opinion cannot be wrong. [...]

Tilt at those windmills, Don Quixote.

Three words: Interstate Maintenance funding.

Or if that's too obscure to count as "popular opinion", how about the one mile in five rule for Interstates?

Or, hell, any time the public elects a politician you don't like?

hbelkins

There are a number of songs you hear only at Christmas that could be categorized more broadly as winter songs, not Christmas songs.

"Jingle Bells" and "Frosty The Snowman" are two I can think of right away.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

kurumi

Quote from: formulanone on December 16, 2021, 09:31:58 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 16, 2021, 09:29:51 PM
"Frosty The Snowman"

Eh, that's quite an allegorical song.

There's a great little horror tale about two kids walking to church who find the hat by itself on the ground. They recognize it looks like Frosty's hat but aren't convinced the magic is real. But they're already in trouble for being late, so there isn't much time to discuss it.

They arrive at the funeral and the boy drops the hat in Grandpa's casket. It works. Now they're in trouble.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

adventurernumber1

Speaking of songs unrelated to Christmas, I have heard "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" from the movie Frozen played very often on the radio. It sounds completely out of place compared to the Christmas standards it's sandwiched between.  :hmm:   :hmmm:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

SectorZ

Does anything play The Waitresses one Christmas song anymore?

I thought of it just because I heard their one non-Christmas song on XM recently.

1995hoo

Quote from: SectorZ on December 17, 2021, 08:13:50 AM
Does anything play The Waitresses one Christmas song anymore?

I thought of it just because I heard their one non-Christmas song on XM recently.

I heard that on BBC Radio One a while ago.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Two more that are not really Christmas songs that you hear only at Christmas.

"Winter Wonderland" and "Baby It's Cold Outside." I'm surprised that any stations still play that last one since it's not politically correct anymore.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tolbs17

Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock...

I don't know the rest of the lyrics...

vdeane

Quote from: kurumi on December 17, 2021, 01:51:25 AM
Quote from: formulanone on December 16, 2021, 09:31:58 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 16, 2021, 09:29:51 PM
"Frosty The Snowman"

Eh, that's quite an allegorical song.

There's a great little horror tale about two kids walking to church who find the hat by itself on the ground. They recognize it looks like Frosty's hat but aren't convinced the magic is real. But they're already in trouble for being late, so there isn't much time to discuss it.

They arrive at the funeral and the boy drops the hat in Grandpa's casket. It works. Now they're in trouble.
That sounds like an interesting story.  Does the hat do bad things when it's used on a corpse rather than a snowman?  Because the alternative would seem to be that someone was upset that Grandpa was alive again.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.