News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Christmas Music Already

Started by roadman65, November 17, 2021, 01:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: hbelkins on December 17, 2021, 11:06:09 AM
Two more that are not really Christmas songs that you hear only at Christmas.

"Winter Wonderland" and "Baby It's Cold Outside." I'm surprised that any stations still play that last one since it's not politically correct anymore.
Another one: Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 17, 2021, 08:33:24 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on December 17, 2021, 08:13:50 AM
Does anything play The Waitresses one Christmas song anymore?

I thought of it just because I heard their one non-Christmas song on XM recently.

I heard that on BBC Radio One a while ago.
The title of that song is Christmas Wrapping:

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

catch22

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2021, 04:42:49 PM
A thing that bothers me is the recent inclusion of certain songs which are not Christmas music in Christmas playlists:

• "Linus and Lucy" by Vince Guaraldi: Guaraldi scored a half-dozen Peanuts specials and some arrangement of "Linus and Lucy" appeared in every single one of them. It's no more Christmas music for appearing in the Peanuts Christmas special than it is Halloween music for appearing in the Halloween special.
  • "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music: Snowflakes are mentioned, and some of the favorite things are vaguely winter-themed, like bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, and the brown paper packages tied in string could conceivably be Christmas presents. It's hard to see how raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens are, though, and winter explicitly melting into spring is very much not a Christmas thing.
  • Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D: What? I heard this tucked in between two Christmas songs at a Whataburger the other day. Is all classical music considered Christmas music now? Can we start getting the 1812 Overture and the Galop from Orpheus in the Underworld in our Christmas playlists then?

My 6th grade class had to sing My Favorite Things in my elementary school's Christmas pageant way back when.  This was right around the time The Sound of Music movie was released.  I had seen the movie with my parents so I knew how the song fit in the storyline (Maria bonding with the children, not at all about Christmas).  I asked my teacher just what this song had to do with Christmas, and she said, "It just sounds like a Christmas song."  I was, and still am, unconvinced.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Perhaps hearing Christmas before Thanksgiving or let alone Halloween could make people go feel like the grinch.
Renewed roadgeek

jakeroot

Henry

My guess is that SNL was going for a 60s theme with that video featuring a claymation version of the Supremes. And why wouldn't they, as NBC and Motown happen to be just two parts of the Universal entertainment empire?

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 17, 2021, 05:33:31 PM
Perhaps hearing Christmas before Thanksgiving or let alone Halloween could make people go feel like the grinch.
Even more so after Christmas or even New Year's Day! Which is why the cutoff point should always be at midnight on December 26, even though the last song doesn't always end by that time.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hotdogPi

Quoting from another thread.

Quote from: 1 on December 18, 2021, 08:07:19 AM
When listening to 104.9, if I stand in a particular location in my room, I get 104.5 instead.

Okay, this is really weird. I switched to the classical station (99.5) on December 20, as I like their Christmas music much better but they don't start until just before Christmas. (They're not even full-time Christmas until December 24.) The weird part: I get a lot of static except when I stand in a particular spot in the room (this includes when I'm in an adjacent room); somehow blocking the signal improves it.

Moving the radio from my desk to my bed fixed it; there's no more static no matter where I'm standing.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Takumi

"Winter Wonderland" and "Baby It's Cold Outside." I'm surprised that any stations still play that last one since it's not politically correct anymore.
I haven't heard "Baby It's Cold Outside"  this year. I've also not exactly been seeking it out, but my work radio is almost entirely Christmas now and I haven't heard it once. I've never heard more renditions of A Marshmallow World than I have this year, though. I'd never heard it before that Target ad about a decade ago.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Takumi on December 21, 2021, 05:10:01 PM

I haven't heard "Baby It's Cold Outside"  this year. I've also not exactly been seeking it out, but my work radio is almost entirely Christmas now and I haven't heard it once. I've never heard more renditions of A Marshmallow World than I have this year, though. I'd never heard it before that Target ad about a decade ago.

I've also not heard that Christmas shoes song for a while either.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 21, 2021, 09:29:10 PM

I loathe that song with a passion because I consider the values it teaches to be galling.  Sure, he helps the kid out, but the kid believes he has to spend money because God evidently cares about what we wear on our feet when we die.  One of those songs that pulls at your heartstrings, but then you think about it and it can be horrifying.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

Quote from: Rothman on December 21, 2021, 11:46:05 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 21, 2021, 09:29:10 PM

I loathe that song with a passion because I consider the values it teaches to be galling.  Sure, he helps the kid out, but the kid believes he has to spend money because God evidently cares about what we wear on our feet when we die.  One of those songs that pulls at your heartstrings, but then you think about it and it can be horrifying.
Speaking of songs I hate, there's that Chipmunks song. Alvin is always late on his cue (as opposed to the other two immediately replying), and it irritates the hell out of director David Seville (I hope I have it right). The yelling alone is enough to ruin the song too.

1995hoo

I have gotten "Disco Santa" stuck in my head after hearing it last weekend.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CtrlAltDel

It's not really music, but I thought some of you might get a kick out an ornament I received this year to commemorate my recent move to Texas:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

Not only does it include a detailed road system, but it even correctly depicts Lawton OK as the great big giant hole that it is!

* Scott5114 ducks, hoping Bobby5280 isn't reading this :D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

A couple years ago, a local radio station made a "12 Things at Christmas that Upstate Gave to Me" video (by "upstate", they really mean the Capital District).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT7qPamock4

There's also a fair amount of Star Trek remixes of Christmas songs.  My favorites are "12 Days of Star Trek", "Wonderful Deep Space Nine", "Tuvok the Vessel's Vulcan", and "All I Want for Christmas is Q"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85n9ye73DjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCTgRax94o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmrMuwcpKkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JDjkUswzvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy6mtBjQmW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KvWwJ6sh5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7s7X9LdNDs
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

golden eagle

Some radio stations stuck with all-Christmas even after Christmas. Since it fell on a Saturday, I expected a good number of stations to stick with it on Sunday. A couple went way beyond. B98.5 in Little Rock went back to regular programming on New Year's Eve, while Magic 99.5 in Albuquerque did through New Year's weekend.

Henry

Quote from: golden eagle on January 04, 2022, 04:22:03 PM
Some radio stations stuck with all-Christmas even after Christmas. Since it fell on a Saturday, I expected a good number of stations to stick with it on Sunday. A couple went way beyond. B98.5 in Little Rock went back to regular programming on New Year's Eve, while Magic 99.5 in Albuquerque did through New Year's weekend.
That's far too late to hear Christmas music! I miss the days when stations would resume their regular format at midnight on December 26, and to keep playing it on New Year's Day is totally unacceptable. New Year's Eve is fine, though, as I'd expect it to end with some variant of Auld Lang Syne, most notably the one that the late Dan Fogelberg made famous back in '80...

GaryV

Well today (Jan 5) is the 12th day of Christmas, after all.

WillWeaverRVA

Last year, 100.9 FM in Richmond continued playing Christmas music until March due to an ownership and format change.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jp the roadgeek

There are only 2 times a year when Christmas music is appropriate.

1. Between Black Friday and Christmas Night
2. Any time after March 15th when it's ridiculously cold and/or snowy.

And ALL Christmas lights should be down after January 6th.  It's fine through the 12 Days and for Three Kings Day, but it ends after that.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 05, 2022, 01:25:26 PM
There are only 2 times a year when Christmas music is appropriate.

1. Between Black Friday and Christmas Night
2. Any time after March 15th when it's ridiculously cold and/or snowy.

And ALL Christmas lights should be down after January 6th.  It's fine through the 12 Days and for Three Kings Day, but it ends after that.

Unless someone is Russian Orthodox. They celebrate Christmas on January 7.

We leave our Christmas lights (and tree) up and lit through and including January 6. After that, they stay up (but unlit) until we have time to take them down (and the weather permits, as to the outdoor lights), which is usually the weekend after January 6 but is sometimes the MLK weekend.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

Since the extension cord always gets frozen into the ground under the snow, I just leave up the lights out front until it thaws.  So depending on the winter, late March?

I dislike a lot of the BS that comes with Christmas, but I do have a soft spot for stringing up some lights.  It's fun.  And it looks neat-o to have an evergreen shrub topped with snow and glowing lights within.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ET21

Icicle lights you could probably keep lit through the winter
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.