News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Famous Celebrities that use stage names completely different

Started by roadman65, November 26, 2021, 10:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allniter89

Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2021, 12:46:29 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2021, 12:36:22 AM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 26, 2021, 08:15:52 PM
Fred Allen -- John Sullivan

This one is kind of silly, since he just went from one extremely boring white guy name to another. Most of the rest of them make sense (they're hard to remember or spell or obviously belonging to an ethnicity, so they were changed to avoid discrimination). I can only guess that there was already a John Sullivan in the union or something.
Discrimination against the Irish.
I'll drink to that!
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 30, 2021, 03:13:21 PM
Quote from: Henry on November 30, 2021, 11:15:37 AM
David Bowie was born David Jones, but changed his last name to Bowie because there already was a Davy Jones who played in the Monkees.

Davy Jones, the future Monkee, came first, so he had rights to his name.  He had been on the London stage and British TV since 1961.  He first appeared in the US on The Ed Sullivan Show on 2/9/1964.  Yes, the same show that introduced The Beatles to America.  His post-Monkee career was up and down, not including Monkees reunions.  He died in 2012.

Davy Jones, the future Bowie, came along a couple years later, fronting such bands as Davy Jones and the King Bees before changing his name and having his first hit with Space Oddity in 1967.  He had a much better career, putting out his last original album two days before his death in 2016.
Did Davy Jones, the Monkee sing on Ed Sullivan? Did he sing rock n roll?
Dish Network shows Ed Sullivan shows, none of the bs between the acts just the people performing.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2021, 12:46:29 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2021, 12:36:22 AM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 26, 2021, 08:15:52 PM
Fred Allen -- John Sullivan

This one is kind of silly, since he just went from one extremely boring white guy name to another. Most of the rest of them make sense (they're hard to remember or spell or obviously belonging to an ethnicity, so they were changed to avoid discrimination). I can only guess that there was already a John Sullivan in the union or something.
Discrimination against the Irish.
Or against the Italians, as was the case with Dean Martin, whose real name was Dino Paul Crocetti.
Also discrimination against the Germans. Same with the Russians.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: allniter89 on November 30, 2021, 08:19:29 PM
Did Davy Jones, the Monkee sing on Ed Sullivan? Did he sing rock n roll?

He played the Artful Dodger in a stage production of Oliver Twist.  He and a woman who's name I don't know appeared on the Sullivan show doing a scene from that play.  It was what he was most famous for in the UK, prior to the Monkees.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

Here is a YouTube clip of Davie Jones and the King Bees doing "Liza Jane."  They were actually pretty good, but raw (similar to the early Who).  He also fronted bands called The Mannish Boys and The Lower Third.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NfsLLzhTUE
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

GenExpwy

Quote from: catch22 on November 30, 2021, 02:21:34 PM
David Bowie was born David Jones, but changed his last name to Bowie because there already was a Davy Jones who played in the Monkees.

Two more examples of using a stage name to avoid confusion with an existing actor and/or the SAG:

Michael Keaton, real name Michael Douglas
old-time actor Stewart Granger, real name James Stewart

An odd twist on this: Bill Macy (famous for the 1970s sitcom Maude) was born Wolf Martin Garber. When the current actor, born William Hall Macy Jr, came along he was billed as W H Macy from 1978 to the early '90s.

NWI_Irish96

Ramon Estevez goes by Martin Sheen. His son Carlos goes by Charlie Sheen, but son Emilio and daughter Renee kept the name Estevez.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Quote from: GenExpwy on December 01, 2021, 05:44:35 AM

Two more examples of using a stage name to avoid confusion with an existing actor and/or the SAG:

An odd twist on this: Bill Macy (famous for the 1970s sitcom Maude) was born Wolf Martin Garber. When the current actor, born William Hall Macy Jr, came along he was billed as W H Macy from 1978 to the early '90s.
Here's the greatest peculiarity of all: The elder Frank Sinatra's given name was Francis Albert Sinatra, and I once believed that his son would have the exact same full name to be followed by Jr. But guess what? It wasn't so, because Frank Jr. was born as Francis Wayne Sinatra. So while it may have been the same first and last name as his father, the middle name was the one thing that kept him from becoming a true junior.

(Off-topic: I have the same first and last name as my father, but my middle name is Edwin, and his is Lee.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Takumi

Quote from: Henry on December 01, 2021, 10:50:32 AM
Quote from: GenExpwy on December 01, 2021, 05:44:35 AM

An odd twist on this: Bill Macy (famous for the 1970s sitcom Maude) was born Wolf Martin Garber. When the current actor, born William Hall Macy Jr, came along he was billed as W H Macy from 1978 to the early '90s.
Here's the greatest peculiarity of all: The elder Frank Sinatra's given name was Francis Albert Sinatra, and I once believed that his son would have the exact same full name to be followed by Jr. But guess what? It wasn't so, because Frank Jr. was born as Francis Wayne Sinatra. So while it may have been the same first and last name as his father, the middle name was the one thing that kept him from becoming a true junior.

(Off-topic: I have the same first and last name as my father, but my middle name is Edwin, and his is Lee.)

Same with me. My dad and I have the same first name, but different middle names. He wanted my middle name to be my first name, and my mom wanted me to be a Jr. so they compromised.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

GaryV

My grandfather's name was Johannes Cornelius; he went by John.

My dad's name was John (no middle name); he went by John Jr.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 30, 2021, 03:33:53 PM
The one I've always found kind of cool is that Neil Diamond is NOT a stage nameā€“it's his real name.

On that subject, but kinda diverging, something I have always found interesting was celebrities that go by a single name which is a slightly unusual name, but that name is their birth name.

Prince is Prince Rogers Nelson and Madonna is Madonna Louise Ciccone.  I thought foe the longest time they picked those names, but come to find out their parents did. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.