News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Do you wear shoes in your house?

Started by 7/8, November 30, 2021, 01:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you normally wear in the house?

Outdoor shoes
6 (14%)
Indoor shoes
1 (2.3%)
Slippers/Sandals
10 (23.3%)
Socks
14 (32.6%)
Other
2 (4.7%)
Barefoot
10 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

NJRoadfan

Shoes off here, mostly because I spent quite a bit on new carpeting when I moved into this place. Growing up, I always wore shoes in the house though. We had a mix of worn carpet and bare flooring.

I noticed if someone walks here around with their shoes on by accident that they tend to leave a trail of dirt behind. It almost always happens the day after I vacuum too.  :banghead: So yeah, it does make a difference. If I go to someone else's place and they ask that I take my shoes off, it's not a problem.

In_Correct

Quote from: 7/8 on November 30, 2021, 01:38:16 PM
On TV, it seems most people walk around the house with their outdoor shoes on.* I've also heard online this is common in the US. Is this true? Does it depend on region?

This is pretty rare in Ontario in my experience, regardless of the weather outside. Even if I visit a friends house, guests take off their shoes and walk around in socks (or sometimes slippers if they're provided). At my house, I walk around either in socks or my Birkenstock sandals.

* Last night I watched an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Larry refuses to take off his shoes at someone's house even though they insist he should. Why can't he just take them off? :-D

Most Programmes do not show the characters' feet in their homes. I do not know how many still have their shoes on. Most likely they go about their houses with their Shoes on unless they are ready to sleep in which case they put on Slippers. Perhaps this has to do with many of the characters more or less staying in apartments and condominiums and are worried about Crazy Landlords accusing them of damaging the floors, even if the floors are not carpet. Also perhaps Programmes have unreasonably high expectations of peoples. I encountered households where residents are going about their homes wearing only Underwear. Cussing is another example.

Not unlike The East / Hyacinth, I do not like people wear shoes inside. Slippers or other House Shoes. I also wear socks if it is cold weather. My floors do not have carpet.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Roadgeekteen

Barefoot, absolutely no shoes in either my house or my dorm room (I let guests to my dorm keep their shoes on)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

LilianaUwU

I don't wear shoes in my apartment, and I hate wearing socks, so I go barefoot.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

formulanone

50/50 depending on weather and how busy I am.

In short: I do wear shoes more often indoors than I used to, because my floors are hardwood (or laminate) and my feet aren't getting any younger.

DandyDan

Usually wear socks, but it's barefoot after work. I will wear shoes if I have company over, because more often than not, they will want to go somewhere soon after arriving.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

thspfc

Barefoot, I think I would be sweating all the time if I wore socks and shoes.

7/8

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 30, 2021, 05:07:05 PM
We have two cats and a dog, so dirt tracked in from outside isn't exactly high on the list of mess-causing agents in our house.

We wipe our dogs' paws when she comes in from outside (particularly if it's wet outside), but it's a pain since she tries to bite our hands :D.

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 01, 2021, 01:03:03 AM

Personally I rarely go barefoot since I find it cold on the tile or laminate, especially in the winter. But I seem to get cold easily (I'll be wearing a hoodie with it over my head in the house and my brother's complaining the house is too warm :-D).

hbelkins

Quote from: allniter89 on November 30, 2021, 08:06:09 PM
Why would a cat make you less likely to go barefoot? :hmmm:

Puking -- either a stomachful of freshly-eaten food, or a slimy hairball, is part of any cat's job description. I think it's written into their union bylaws as an essential job duty.

Ever stepped in a cold pile of cat yak or a wet furball in your bare feet while trudging off in the dark in the middle of the night to answer nature's call? Not a pleasant experience. You'll be wiping wet masticated Meow Mix from between your toes for 15 minutes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

That brings up a good point I forgot to mention - if a house has pets that spend a significant amount of time outside (especially dogs large enough that my Dad would call them a "real dog"), keeping the house clean for any length of time is practically an exercise in futility anyway.  In that case you might even want shoes just to keep your feet and socks clean!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on December 01, 2021, 12:59:24 PM
That brings up a good point I forgot to mention - if a house has pets that spend a significant amount of time outside (especially dogs large enough that my Dad would call them a "real dog"), keeping the house clean for any length of time is practically an exercise in futility anyway.  In that case you might even want shoes just to keep your feet and socks clean!

Two of my dogs were borderline feral at one point and exclusively lived outside.  They still act like outdoor dogs when they go outside and tend to drag things in.  That's the primary reason I'm not keen on the idea of replacing the old carpet why they are still alive.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 30, 2021, 01:45:52 PM
I voted "Other" because it varies. During the summer, I tend to go barefoot indoors; during the winter, it's too cold for that and I wear either driving moccasins or a pair of Samuel Hubbard "Hubbard@Home" shoes that are more in the nature of slippers, though they're not quite slippers. The Hubbards are nice and warm and are also supportive.

When I was growing up I often wore just socks, but my socks wore out too quickly when I did that.

We just adopted a cat this past weekend, so I don't know whether next summer I might be less likely to go barefoot.

Honestly, I don't really know and I was just speculating. This is the first time I've had a cat (not counting the feral cat we fed for seven years until she died last month, as she wasn't "ours"). When I was growing up, my father and my brother both had pet hair allergies, and then once I had my own house a cat would have prevented my father from visiting. I was also concerned about a cat jumping up on things and knocking stuff over/breaking things. But we got very lunch lucky and found an older cat that needed to be re-homed (the previous owner had to enter memory-assisted living and was not allowed to have a pet); she's not a jumper or a zoomer, so the issue of knocking things over is less of a worry. So far she seems to be adjusting really well.

(Edited to fix a typo.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 01, 2021, 01:50:58 PM
But we got very lunch and found an older cat that needed to be re-homed

I'm sure this is an autocorrect error, but I'm fascinated by the phrase "very lunch".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 01, 2021, 03:07:32 PM

I'm sure this is an autocorrect error, but I'm fascinated by the phrase "very lunch".

so sandwich
    many napkins
  wow

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on December 01, 2021, 03:27:49 PM

so sandwich
    many napkins
  wow

That's not cat. That's dog. (Or Doge...)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

D'oh. Not autocorrect, just sloppy typing. Thanks. I've fixed my original post.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

allniter89

:-o
Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2021, 11:22:59 AM

Puking -- either a stomachful of freshly-eaten food, or a slimy hairball, is part of any cat's job description. I think it's written into their union bylaws as an essential job duty.

Ever stepped in a cold pile of cat yak or a wet furball in your bare feet while trudging off in the dark in the middle of the night to answer nature's call? Not a pleasant experience. You'll be wiping wet masticated Meow Mix from between your toes for 15 minutes.
No I havent. I have however stepped on my moms dead Lovebird in the middle of the night, it went squish :-o. BTW It was dead b4 I stepped on it. I think it was suicide, its mate died 3 days b4. It should have been in a cage but the door was open & it was laying on the floor directly below the cage. The paper in the cage was the NY Times, the crossword was finished except for 37 down.  :hmmm:Maybe that had something to do with it :no:.

I'm strictly a dog person. The one time he puked he licked it up. :-o
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: 7/8 on December 01, 2021, 09:50:19 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 01, 2021, 01:03:03 AM

Personally I rarely go barefoot since I find it cold on the tile or laminate, especially in the winter. But I seem to get cold easily (I'll be wearing a hoodie with it over my head in the house and my brother's complaining the house is too warm :-D).

My foot are the only part on my body that don't really feel temperature, so I'm pretty much resistant to cold feet, and as such I don't need socks.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

plain

Slippers/Slides with no socks.

I only wear socks and shoes when I'm out and about. I used to walk around the house barefoot but I gave that up and the bottom of my feet thanks me for it lmao.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.