News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

When do you plan to switch to an EV?

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 17, 2021, 06:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2022, 10:18:06 AM
Quote from: Rothman on January 04, 2022, 08:37:39 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2022, 08:12:51 AM
Quote from: Rothman on January 04, 2022, 06:49:52 AM
Quote from: kalvado on January 04, 2022, 04:31:29 AM
Quote from: Big John on January 04, 2022, 12:11:29 AM
An issue with hydrogen cells is that emits water in the reaction.  The vehicle may not carry that waste water so it may dribble onto the pavement - not good in the winter.
Did you ever see condensation coming out of a tailpipe?
Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Are you into Greco Roman Wrestling?
Do you like movies about gladiators?

You ever see a grown man naked?
Do you love to go wanderin' beneath the clear blue sky?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

This thread reminds me -- a couple of years ago, I made a "Blazing Saddles" reference in the break room at work. One of my co-workers -- I think she's in her late 30s -- gave me a funny look. She'd never seen the movie before.

Some of these references to classic movies such as "Airplane!" go over the heads of some of our younger members. I was able to work a "Spaceballs" reference into a work social media post the other day and I'm surprised so many people got it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2022, 03:56:22 PM
This thread reminds me -- a couple of years ago, I made a "Blazing Saddles" reference in the break room at work. One of my co-workers -- I think she's in her late 30s -- gave me a funny look. She'd never seen the movie before.

Some of these references to classic movies such as "Airplane!" go over the heads of some of our younger members. I was able to work a "Spaceballs" reference into a work social media post the other day and I'm surprised so many people got it.

Yesterday my boss and I were talking about the Air Florida crash into the 14th Street Bridge. That was 40 years ago next week. Our younger colleague who was on the phone with us noted that it happened almost nine years before she was born.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

It floors me that my wife barely gets classic comedy references.  She's picking up ok Airplane! after I had her watch it with me.  Sadly Blazing Saddles, Space Balls and even the likes Princess Bride go over her head.

Scott5114

Quote from: Takumi on January 04, 2022, 10:37:23 AM
An issue with hydrogen cells is that emits water in the reaction.  The vehicle may not carry that waste water so it may dribble onto the pavement - not good in the winter.

Have you ever visited a Chinatown section in a major city?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 04, 2022, 04:22:36 PM

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

XamotCGC

I'm in my mid 30s and Airplane is one of my favorite movies.  My favorite scenes are the ones with Johnny. "Leon is getting Larger!"   And the scenes with Lloyd Bridges.  "I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue"  Robert Stack was so awesome in that movie as well.     
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

XamotCGC

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 04, 2022, 04:24:00 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 04, 2022, 04:22:36 PM

Nice Batman reference.  The Joker.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Scott5114

This thread made me decide to take a look at where charger locations are actually located. Google led me to PlugShare, which is a map with pins where chargers are located.

If this map is correct, there are a lot more chargers in existence than I thought there were. With an EV, I could still pretty much take any sort of roadtrip anywhere in Oklahoma and find a charger along the way. Hell, there's a charger on fucking Black Mesa of all places. Might have to pay a little bit more attention to the charge level than I'm accustomed to with the gas needle, but it's probably way easier to find a charger in 2022 than it was to find a gas station in 1926.

I plotted out a trip to Kansas City just for funsies, since that's the long trip I take most frequently. There's a charging station at Towanda services on the Kansas Turnpike...and we usually stop at a KTA service area anyway (although we tend to prefer Belle Plaine as it's usually less crowded than Towanda is). So our trip to KC would be more or less unchanged in an EV, other than finding a place to charge up before we left town.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 05, 2022, 03:54:31 AM
This thread made me decide to take a look at where charger locations are actually located. Google led me to PlugShare, which is a map with pins where chargers are located.

If this map is correct, there are a lot more chargers in existence than I thought there were. With an EV, I could still pretty much take any sort of roadtrip anywhere in Oklahoma and find a charger along the way. Hell, there's a charger on fucking Black Mesa of all places. Might have to pay a little bit more attention to the charge level than I'm accustomed to with the gas needle, but it's probably way easier to find a charger in 2022 than it was to find a gas station in 1926.

Sure, but this is a case of "easy" versus just "doable". Sure, there are enough chargers out there that it's probably possible to make any drive in the lower 48 with an EV given enough time, but in many regions of the country you'll have to do your research and go to a website like that one ahead of time, hope it's accurate and not out of date, and remember where the chargers are in case your phone dies along the way. In order to get the masses to shift to EVs, you're going to have to eliminate that step and make chargers as common and reliable as gas stations are now.

It also doesn't solve the limitations of how long the car can go on a single charge, or how long a charge itself takes. Unless some other unforeseen circumstance happens (gas prices through the roof, government mandates, etc...) I don't think I'll consider an EV until we have technology that will allow it to 1) have a similar range as a traditional car and 2) charge in less time than it takes me to take a shit and buy a snack.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: XamotCGC on January 05, 2022, 01:21:39 AM
Nice Batman reference.  The Joker.

That line is pretty good... but I think I prefer "Never rub another man's rhubarb" (even over "This town needs an enema!").
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

vdeane

Quote from: US 89 on January 05, 2022, 12:18:45 PM
It also doesn't solve the limitations of how long the car can go on a single charge, or how long a charge itself takes. Unless some other unforeseen circumstance happens (gas prices through the roof, government mandates, etc...) I don't think I'll consider an EV until we have technology that will allow it to 1) have a similar range as a traditional car and 2) charge in less time than it takes me to take a shit and buy a snack.
That's why where the charger is located is a big deal.  If you can combine charging with having lunch (which usually takes me around half an hour), it's not an issue.  If you have to make a separate stop just to charge, then it's a huge issue.

Another issue with charging is that chargers are often down with issues and not all chargers are the same speed.  Many are only 50 kwh stations that will take hours to charge, rather than 300 kwh stations that could charge in 15-20 minutes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

michravera

Quote from: US 89 on January 05, 2022, 12:18:45 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 05, 2022, 03:54:31 AM

Sure, but this is a case of "easy" versus just "doable". Sure, there are enough chargers out there that it's probably possible to make any drive in the lower 48 with an EV given enough time, but in many regions of the country you'll have to do your research and go to a website like that one ahead of time, hope it's accurate and not out of date, and remember where the chargers are in case your phone dies along the way. In order to get the masses to shift to EVs, you're going to have to eliminate that step and make chargers as common and reliable as gas stations are now.

See "The Ravera Criteria"

1995hoo

I read something that said the controversial "Build Back Better" bill being fought over in Congress would expand the EV tax credit and increase it to $12,500, though the article I read was unclear about what sort of "expansion" would be in order (for example, whether Teslas would be eligible, since they hit the sales threshold for the existing $7,500 tax credit to phase out) and whether it would be a refundable credit. If I were in the car market right now, that would be something that would both have me considering EVs and delaying my decision (if possible) so as to take advantage of the expanded credit if it were a realistic option.

I believe there was also something in there about a $900 tax credit for e-bike purchases. That has me interested because of some significant hills in our area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.