News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Urbs that are mostly suburban

Started by Road Hog, December 19, 2021, 03:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

I was thinking of Fort Worth and how much it has grown in the last 30 years. The core city was about 300K in 1990 and now it's probably triple that through aggressive annexations. Just about all that growth is due to expansion in neighborhoods that could be called "suburban" in nature but are in actuality part of the central city.

Are there any comps nationally? Orlando seems one to me.

tolbs17

Raleigh, North Carolina as well as Fayetteville can classify as one. When I go there, it doesn't feel like a real city compared to cities like Charlotte or Atlanta.

Winston-Salem and Greensboro were more populated than Raleigh back in the 1960s but now are behind.

Cary too... A lot of urban sprawl happened there and their downtown looks like a town with 30,000 people.

Richmond, Virginia looks more like a real city to me.

Max Rockatansky

Takumi

Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia, and Chesapeake is up there as well, but are both almost entirely suburban and still have some rural parts.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

The vast majority of Oklahoma City's land area is either suburban or rural in character.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

How do we differentiate between urban and suburban here, especially with single family homes residential areas? Do streets laid out in a grid count as urban, and windy streets/cul de sacs count as suburban?

Bruce

Most American cities probably fit the bill.

For example, 69% of Seattle's residential land is zoned exclusively for single-family homes.

Road Hog

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 19, 2021, 02:18:54 PM
How do we differentiate between urban and suburban here, especially with single family homes residential areas? Do streets laid out in a grid count as urban, and windy streets/cul de sacs count as suburban?
I'd say any type of themed subdivision or planned development consisting mostly of single-family homes (especially those new within the last 15 to 20 years) would classify as "suburban" in style.

KCRoadFan

Kansas City, where I live, comes to mind - to me, the central part in Jackson County is the "real"  city, whereas the Northland (Clay and Platte Counties) - as well as the areas of the Jackson County portion east of 435 out by the stadiums, along with south KC - feel like a bunch of suburbs, even though it's all within city limits.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: Road Hog on December 19, 2021, 03:54:37 AM
I was thinking of Fort Worth and how much it has grown in the last 30 years. The core city was about 300K in 1990 and now it's probably triple that through aggressive annexations. Just about all that growth is due to expansion in neighborhoods that could be called "suburban" in nature but are in actuality part of the central city.

Are there any comps nationally? Orlando seems one to me.

Looking at the maps of Dallas and Houston, it appears that those cities are like that too. Seems to be common in Texas.

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 19, 2021, 02:18:54 PM

"Windy" threw me off for a minute!  :D

It's a good question, though. Is this, for example, considered suburban? I would personally call it urban since it's with city limits. Yet I understand this doesn't work for cities in the South and West that annex all their suburbs, which is another reason I dislike that practice.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.