"Child" towns that are bigger/more major than "parent" towns

Started by index, December 19, 2021, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

This would be something like:

• West Jefferson and Jefferson, NC are roughly the same population, but West Jefferson is more major, as it has the downtown/is used as a control city
  • North Wilkesboro being bigger than Wilkesboro
  • North Battleford, SK being bigger than Battleford

But not limited strictly to population, as the example with both Jeffersons shows
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

NWI_Irish96

Indiana:

North Vernon is much bigger than Vernon.

West Lafayette is not as big as Lafayette but arguably "more major" due to the presence of Purdue.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

tolbs17

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

wriddle082

West Palm Beach, FL (pop. ~117k) is much bigger than Palm Beach (pop. ~8k).

Charleston, SC is the largest city in SC, but it's two largest suburbs, North Charleston and Mount Pleasant, rank third and fourth, respectively.

Not really sure if this counts because they're a little ways away from each other, but what about San Jose (pop. 1,013,000) being larger than San Francisco (pop. 873k)?

Max Rockatansky

San Jose is the largest city in the San Francisco Bay Area.  San Francisco is by far the most densely populated.

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 19, 2021, 03:52:55 PM
Mount Airy is bigger than Dobson.

Quote from: wriddle082 on December 19, 2021, 04:34:23 PM
Charleston, SC is the largest city in SC ... Mount Pleasant ....

Not really sure if this counts because they're a little ways away from each other, but what about San Jose (pop. 1,013,000) being larger than San Francisco (pop. 873k)?

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2021, 06:27:12 PM
San Jose is the largest city in the San Francisco Bay Area.  San Francisco is by far the most densely populated.

None of these are child/parent.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on December 19, 2021, 06:28:19 PM

The Presidio of San Francisco and Mission San Francisco de Asis do predate Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe.  Without the Presidio of San Francisco the Spanish development of San Francisco Bay would have come much later.  So, I'm going to disagree with you there that there isn't a parental community relationship between San Francisco and San Jose. 

SkyPesos

New Taipei City is more populous than neighboring Taipei.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2021, 06:38:28 PM

The Presidio of San Francisco and Mission San Francisco de Asis do predate Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe.  Without the Presidio of San Francisco the Spanish development of San Francisco Bay would have come much later.  So, I'm going to disagree with you there that there isn't a parental community relationship between San Francisco and San Jose.
Not in the same terms as the OP.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on December 19, 2021, 06:46:17 PM

I'm not really seeing anything of the like explicitly stated by the OP, I'm just seeing his/her examples.  Considering this is the Off Topic board why would I assume we are only restricting this to what is being used for control cities on modern highways? 

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2021, 06:58:38 PM
I'm not really seeing anything of the like explicitly stated by the OP, I'm just seeing his/her examples.  Considering this is the Off Topic board why would I assume we are only restricting this to what is being used for control cities on modern highways?

It has nothing to do with control cities. It has to with similarly named locations.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on December 19, 2021, 07:02:42 PM

It has nothing to do with control cities. It has to with similarly named locations.

Again, not explicitly stated in the thread title or in the original post.  Perhaps the OP ought to be more clear on his/her rules on the rules if a wide net of possible answers isn't desirable.

Here is one by the criteria you describe; Wendover, Utah was established as a Western Pacific Railroad siding circa 1908.  West Wendover, Nevada didn't develop until a decades after the settlement of Wendover.  Wendover was largely fueled by freight commerce and the military until the late 1960s.  West Wendover and took advantage of being able to fuel it's economy via legalized gambling and now is several times larger in population than Wendover. 

jp the roadgeek

In CT
Old Lyme and East Lyme are more populous than Lyme
East Haddam is larger than Haddam and has a slightly higher population
Southington, formerly known as South Farmington, is bigger and is more populous than Farmington

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

tolbs17

ilpt4u

New Amsterdam is much bigger than Amsterdam

New York is much bigger than York

That settlement by the Dutch, then the English in the New World has done OK for itself

Mr. Matté

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 19, 2021, 07:25:33 PM
In CT
Old Lyme and East Lyme are more populous than Lyme
East Haddam is larger than Haddam and has a slightly higher population
Southington, formerly known as South Farmington, is bigger and is more populous than Farmington

I'm on another website doing my other hobby of historic elections, right now I'm doing state HOR elections from the 1960s-1990s. I encounter New Hartford and New Fairfield as I cycle through the years. I wonder what those towns' founders intents were, whether they thought the "New" towns (not to be confused with Newtown) were going to be more prosperous than the "old" towns or just a place where they could lord over the people who move in.

Rothman

Not too many contributors on your side of the line on this one...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

plain

In NJ, Both East and West Orange are more populated than Orange.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on December 19, 2021, 09:05:33 PM

Is this even worth arguing over?  I feel like you guys often just suck any fun out of these threads. 

jlam

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2021, 09:17:27 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 19, 2021, 09:05:33 PM

Is this even worth arguing over?  I feel like you guys often just suck any fun out of these threads. 

Following the rules is fun.

wxfree

New Boston, Texas is much bigger than Boston.  New Boston is a city that now covers the unincorporated place of Boston, but Boston still exists in law because it's the county seat.  In Texas, a county seat can't be changed except through an election.  Usually an unincorporated town becomes a neighborhood of a city it's annexed into, but this one will always have a separate status.  New Boston, Texas is also much bigger than Old Boston.  Old Boston is within 2 miles of the city limit of New Boston and will probably eventually be annexed and no longer exist as a separate place.

The original county seat is Boston, at the location of Old Boston.  In an election, a supermajority voted to move the county seat to a location not near the center of the county, Texarkana.  Later, a majority voted to move it back near the center of the county.  (Old) Boston was a little too far south, so the new seat was a few miles to the north.  They couldn't get a post office with a name they wanted, so they decided to move the Boston post office and use that name for the new county seat.  Boston then became Old Boston.  New Boston was built before the county seat was moved the first time.  The railroad bypassed the original county seat, and New Boston was built at the point on the railroad closest to Boston.  Then the county seat moved, and was moved back but a little further north, and was eventually annexed into New Boston.

A child city consumes its parent, while the parent is also its younger sibling.  It then continues to grow and threatens to consume its other parent and grandparent-because-it's-the-parent-of-its-younger-sibling/parent.  This is what Greek mythology/Freudian nightmares are made of.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

North Manchester, IN is incorporated and bigger than Manchester, IN.
Renewed roadgeek

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.