AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Non-IRP Plate salad on commercial vehicles  (Read 880 times)

Molandfreak

• Last Login: April 25, 2022, 12:28:12 AM
Non-IRP Plate salad on commercial vehicles
« on: December 28, 2021, 12:42:10 AM »

Before trucks started being apportioned through the International Registration Plan in the 1970s, many required a license plate for every state they drove through. Even though this is mostly not an issue nowadays, Alaska, Hawaii, the three Canadian territories, and Mexico still require commercial vehicles to get a completely different plate in order to drive there.

Many trucks in the northwest have three different plates, and all of them are needed to travel in Alaska, Yukon, and the IRP zone:

I would imagine there are a few that have four different license plates if they are required to travel to the Northwest Territories, too. But I couldn't imagine seeing a truck with any more than that, unless that truck is needed for a very specific route through the US, Canada, and Mexico.

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 06:13:38 PM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: Non-IRP Plate salad on commercial vehicles
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 01:20:44 AM »

I would imagine there are a few that have four different license plates if they are required to travel to the Northwest Territories, too. But I couldn't imagine seeing a truck with any more than that, unless that truck is needed for a very specific route through the US, Canada, and Mexico.

Possibly five, when truckers could travel on the winter ice road connecting Yellowknife NT to some mines in Nunavut Territory. Those mines are now dormant, and ca. 2008 the ice road was truncated to stop short of the Nunavut border.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Molandfreak

• Last Login: April 25, 2022, 12:28:12 AM
Re: Non-IRP Plate salad on commercial vehicles
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 11:39:38 AM »

Possibly five, when truckers could travel on the winter ice road connecting Yellowknife NT to some mines in Nunavut Territory. Those mines are now dormant, and ca. 2008 the ice road was truncated to stop short of the Nunavut border.
The first season of Ice Road Truckers took place on that road. Episode 1 is on YouTube, and I donít see any trucks with more than one Northwest Territories plate, so maybe Nunavut had a trip permit that didnít require full registration, or a reciprocity agreement with the NWT.

Or since the rest of Nunavutís communities probably donít see anything bigger than a box truck, maybe they expect the plate to go on the rear of all vehicles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.