News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wildfires in Colorado

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 31, 2021, 05:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

hundreds of homes have just been destroyed by a wildfire near Boulder
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jlam

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2021, 05:00:17 PM
It was caused by a downed power line.

DavesTravels

Quote from: jlam on December 31, 2021, 05:03:35 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2021, 05:00:17 PM
It was caused by a downed power line.
That was what it was initially reported, however, that is now incorrect.

Xcel (the power company serving the area) hasn't found any downed wires that would've sparked the fire https://kdvr.com/news/local/did-downed-power-lines-cause-wildfire-xcel-says-its-not-finding-evidence-of-that/

triplemultiplex

The fact that one of the worst wildfires in Colorado's entire history (in terms of property loses) happened in December is very alarming.  That's basically unprecedented.  Wildfire conditions are not supposed to exist in that part of the world over Christmas.  Welcome to the new normal.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hotdogPi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 01, 2022, 05:56:01 PM
The fact that one of the worst wildfires in Colorado's entire history (in terms of property loses) happened in December is very alarming.  That's basically unprecedented.  Wildfire conditions are not supposed to exist in that part of the world over Christmas.  Welcome to the new normal.

30°F vs. 80°F means almost nothing when fire is several hundred degrees and into the thousands. On the other hand, this is the drier part of the year there (unlike in California), so they would actually be more likely now.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.