News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Happy New Year 2022

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, December 31, 2021, 06:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Happy New Year from Illinois, the official home of being flat.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Bruce

A Needle New Year:

(First time I've watched the fireworks in person, albeit from Capitol Hill)

vdeane

Quote from: Big John on January 01, 2022, 12:13:44 AM
IT used to be on ABC that at midnight eastern that New York and Las Vegas would celebrate the new year on New York time.  I would wonder why Las Vegas would celebrate at 9 PM.  They finally came to their senses and realizes that the whole nation isn't in the eastern time zone.
What's weird is that they added AST before MST and PST.  Sadly, the Puerto Rico countdown seemed to be shoehorned in without the fanfare that the countdowns at New York and New Orleans have.  Apparently it wasn't just numbers on a concert screen, but they didn't bother to show the star until after 11:30!

Another interesting bit - how many numbers are counted down seems to increase as the night goes on.  San Juan started at 8 (though it seems they may have lost track of time), New York at 10, and New Orleans at 20.

Instead of the pre-recorded LA bits, perhaps they should have actual crews in the MST and PST time zones and extend the broadcast by an hour (the live bits by two hours).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheHighwayMan3561

The NO countdown was also delayed on ABC by 30 seconds, so it was 12:00:30 in the CTZ at the time the countdown ended.

Fortunately I was doing my Animal Crossing in-game celebration, so I got it at the right moment.  :bigass:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

We were thinking about having Animal Crossing up for ours, but instead we were showing a friend Stardew Valley, and completely coincidentally he got a day-end level-up, with the sound effect playing exactly at 00:00:00.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

First for me with a new year in the time zone that gets it first in the USA. Was in Maryland at the time.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on January 01, 2022, 11:14:04 PM
IT used to be on ABC that at midnight eastern that New York and Las Vegas would celebrate the new year on New York time.  I would wonder why Las Vegas would celebrate at 9 PM.  They finally came to their senses and realizes that the whole nation isn't in the eastern time zone.
What's weird is that they added AST before MST and PST.  Sadly, the Puerto Rico countdown seemed to be shoehorned in without the fanfare that the countdowns at New York and New Orleans have.  Apparently it wasn't just numbers on a concert screen, but they didn't bother to show the star until after 11:30!

They had heavily promoted the AST countdown for Puerto Rico too...but at least in my area, in the eastern time zone, they had a commercial break at 10:58 and cut away to the news at 11, so it was never aired.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 01, 2022, 11:19:42 PM
The NO countdown was also delayed on ABC by 30 seconds, so it was 12:00:30 in the CTZ at the time the countdown ended.

Saw this as well. The clock on the screen hit 10:59 CT, the host Billy Porter is sloppily handing out beads, and the countdown started from 60 a half-minute late.

Overall, the whole event was a bit more sloppily put together than it was in previous years.  Covid no-doubt made it a bit harder to do what they normally would do, but it certainly didn't seem very smooth at times.

At the very end of the broadcast, which I was still awake for around 2:10am, they thanked the producer and did hint about several last-minute changes that probably did make for some issues they had to overcome on the fly.

tolbs17

My computer was at 12:00AM but the countdown was delayed at least 30-60 seconds.

CNGL-Leudimin

That sounds like what happens here in Spain. We eat 12 grapes, one for each tolling of the bell in the clocktower at the Puerta del Sol in Madrid. However the first happens as the clocks roll over to 12:00 am (0:00 in 24 hour system) (although in the last few years the bell has been slow by a few seconds), and therefore in the last few years I've been tweeting "Happy New Year" at the start of the grapes instead of the end. Last year and again this one I had to do that, then post this thread quickly before starting eating grapes.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NWI_Irish96

Fortunately I was doing my Animal Crossing in-game celebration, so I got it at the right moment.  :bigass:

If you watch a broadcast using a streaming service on a smart TV running through your home wi-fi, there is about a 30 second lag. I first noticed when I would get alerts on my phone about scores in baseball/football games before I'd see the actual scoring play on TV. To test it out, I called my mom, who still has traditional cable, and had her turn on the same show I was watching. We pegged the lag at right around 30 seconds.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

vdeane

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 02, 2022, 12:17:55 PM

If you watch a broadcast using a streaming service on a smart TV running through your home wi-fi, there is about a 30 second lag. I first noticed when I would get alerts on my phone about scores in baseball/football games before I'd see the actual scoring play on TV. To test it out, I called my mom, who still has traditional cable, and had her turn on the same show I was watching. We pegged the lag at right around 30 seconds.
I watch over the air, and at least for the Times Square countdown, the lag was only the industry standard lag of 7-8 seconds used for live broadcasts so that the producers can bleep out profanity and whatnot if they need to.  I wasn't paying close attention by the time they got to New Orleans, though, so no comment on that.  I wouldn't be surprised if cable introduces additional lag - it would explain why things like the local news tend to start half a minute early, in fact!

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 02, 2022, 12:01:05 AM
Quote from: vdeane on January 01, 2022, 11:14:04 PM

They had heavily promoted the AST countdown for Puerto Rico too...but at least in my area, in the eastern time zone, they had a commercial break at 10:58 and cut away to the news at 11, so it was never aired.

Saw this as well. The clock on the screen hit 10:59 CT, the host Billy Porter is sloppily handing out beads, and the countdown started from 60 a half-minute late.

Overall, the whole event was a bit more sloppily put together than it was in previous years.  Covid no-doubt made it a bit harder to do what they normally would do, but it certainly didn't seem very smooth at times.

At the very end of the broadcast, which I was still awake for around 2:10am, they thanked the producer and did hint about several last-minute changes that probably did make for some issues they had to overcome on the fly.
That's interesting that different stations have different commercial brakes.  I wonder if that's why some commercial breaks were picture in picture with a smaller PIP of Times Square, while others were normal.  At least on WTEN in Albany, around 10:58 they rolled the credits while in Times Square, then cut down to Puerto Rico, where the host there went on another monologue about "this is how we party in Puerto Rico", only to randomly start counting down from 8 with the numbers on the screen used for their one musical performance while the producers were no doubt going "oh shit everyone forgot it's just about midnight AST", immediately cutting to the local news once they hit zero and said Happy New Year (it was basically a "blink and you'll miss it" moment).  I didn't even realize San Juan actually had a real countdown until 11:30 when they finally showed the star - it looked more like a publicity stunt.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

There is definitely a lag both for satellite TV (such as DirecTV) and streaming services (such as YouTube TV). We often exchange text messages with our Capitals ticket group during TV games. If I see a message that says, simply, "Fuck," then I know the other team will score within the next 15 seconds or so–and invariably they do.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.