News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Top 3 best SUVs and cars

Started by tolbs17, January 02, 2022, 01:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

for me

SUVs

Non-luxury

1. Jeep Grand Cherokee

2. Chevy Traverse

3. Toyota Highlander

Luxury

1. Audi Q7

2. Lexus RX

3. Volvo XC90

Non-luxury

1. Toyota Camry

2. Honda Accord

3. Nissan Altima

Luxury

1. BMW 5 Series

2. Lexus ES

3. Acura TLX

SkyPesos

Glad to see that Tesla isn't on this list. I know of way too many people that would place one if its models at #1.

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 02, 2022, 02:49:36 PM
Glad to see that Tesla isn't on this list. I know of way too many people that would place one if its models at #1.
Boring interior, I get that it's all electric but the interior is dull.

Takumi

Assuming you're talking about current models

Sedans/wagons:
1. Toyota Crown (not currently sold in the US, but there are rumors that it's going to come soon as an Avalon replacement)
2. Acura TLX
3. Audi RS6 Avant

Sports cars:
1. Toyota GR Supra
2. Acura NSX Type S (production ends in 2022)
3. Lexus LC500
Honorable mention: you can still buy a new Lexus LFA if you have half a million dollars lying around.

SUVs:
1. Acura RDX
2. Toyota RAV4
3. Mazda CX-5
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CoreySamson

Current models and/or stuff that just went out of production (based on my impressions)

Sedans/Coupes/Wagons:
1. Genesis G70 Shooting Brake (not sold in US, but OMG, so gorgeous)
2. Honda Civic Type R
3. Honda Accord

SUVs:
1. Honda CR-V
2. Dodge Durango
3. Subaru Crosstrek

Guess what brand I like.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Max Rockatansky

The problem going with any sort of "greatest" list with cars is that it is almost a totally subjective measure.  From an engineering prospective newer cars will almost certainly (the 1970s and early 1980s aside) be a progression from the cars that came beforehand. 

That said, out of what I've owned:

1.  2012 Ford Fiesta SE
-  This car was built well, was reliable, had great mileage, surprisingly handled well and was cheap.  This is exactly what a daily driver and cheap car SHOULD be. 
2.  2020 Subaru Impreza
-  A lot of the same as above, just lesser mileage, higher cost and parts are harder to come by.  AWD and an off-road oriented suspension have been hugely helpful.
3.  Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
-  I don't drive this car often but when I do it is usually one some sort of outlandish mountain road.  This car is way over engineered for almost any paved road and handles surprisingly well.  I actually even got 27.1 MPG once on a 700 mile trip. 

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2022, 09:35:28 PM
The problem going with any sort of "greatest" list with cars is that it is almost a totally subjective measure.  From an engineering prospective newer cars will almost certainly (the 1970s and early 1980s aside) be a progression from the cars that came beforehand. 
Very true. Although those newer cars are leaps and bounds ahead in terms of safety, technology, and efficiency, older ones feel more connected to the road. My old 1991 Prelude was an 80s design and, while it felt a bit out of place among modern traffic, it was like driving a go-kart when out of the way. (If I ever get my Fiero on the road, I’m sure it’ll feel much the same way.) I’ve come to find the 90s are a nice sweet spot when it comes to a balance between modern and classic, hence my current “fun” car being a 1990s Toyota.

This car is way over engineered for almost any paved road and handles surprisingly well.
Well, it is an old Mercedes chassis ;)

As far as my own car history, my top 5:

1. 2012 Acura TL (6AT)
-does everything I ask of it and has never let me down. The only thing outside of normal maintenance that’s had to be done on it in 40,000 miles was the alternator going bad. It’s very well balanced: comfortable, loaded, sporty, fast, handles well, does well in the winter. Only complaint is it struggles to get 20 MPG overall.

2. 2004 Lexus GS300 (5AT)
-similar to my TL, but a bit more primitive and slower, and RWD instead of AWD. Good handling despite floatier suspension than an Acura or Infiniti. Was lots of fun to fling around in a slow-car-fast way. My dad now owns it, and if he decides to unload it I’ve told him I’d like to take it back.

3. 1992 Toyota Aristo (4AT)
-a lot like my GS300 (because it is a GS300, a generation prior), but with one fewer gear and much faster due to the turbos. When it works properly it’s the greatest car I’ve ever owned, but in the year I’ve owned it it’s been off the road half the time with numerous issues. (Tongue-in-cheek, I say it’s because it’s partially Italian thanks to being designed by Giugiaro.) Of course, being a RHD import from Japan I never planned to daily it anyway.

4. 2009 Acura TSX (6MT)
-not that different than the TL, honestly, but with 100 less HP and FWD. Made a good daily driver and road trip car. As a bonus it was a stick shift. Probably should have kept it instead of trading it in on the TL, but it wasn’t as fun to drive. Much better on gas, though.

5. 2001 Honda Prelude (5MT)
-there’s just something about a 90s Honda. But driving it makes my back hurt, so once I put it back together I’m going to sell it. It needs to be driven more.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Suffice to say Chrysler sure got a ton of mileage out of the LX Platform.  It's hard to believe that really it is just an old E Class platform which was repurposed.

Henry

Let me go the other way around, and name my top three brands in the following categories:

Top 3 Dead Makes
1. Oldsmobile
2. Pontiac
3. Plymouth

Top 3 Current Standard Makes
1. Chevrolet
2. Honda
3. Toyota

Top 3 Luxury Makes
1. Cadillac
2. Mercedes-Benz
3. Lexus

Top 3 Sports Car Makes
1. Porsche
2. Ferrari
3. Lamborghini
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.