Have you been to "Paradise", "Hell", or other similar-named places? :D

Started by ZLoth, January 10, 2022, 03:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Have you been to "Hell"? I have. It's a geologic feature on Grand Cayman good for a twenty minute visit where you can also mail a postcard. One of these days, I'll drive up north to Michigan.

How about "Paradise"? Yes, it's a town in California that got wiped off the map in 2018. All the friends I knew up there survived.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Pink Jazz

Technically much of the Las Vegas Strip is outside Las Vegas city limits, but in the unincorporated community of Paradise. The northern end is in the unincorporated community of Winchester.

Max Rockatansky

Yes, Hell Township wasn't far from me in Michigan and I briefly lived in Paradise Valley, Arizona.

abefroman329

GaryV

ZLoth

Quote from: Pink Jazz on January 10, 2022, 03:57:18 PMTechnically much of the Las Vegas Strip is outside Las Vegas city limits, but in the unincorporated community of Paradise. The northern end is in the unincorporated community of Winchester.
I forgot about that!!!
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SkyPesos

kkt

Paradise is a place in Mt. Rainier National Park that I've enjoyed many times.

oscar

Quote from: ZLoth on January 10, 2022, 03:54:33 PM
How about "Paradise"? Yes, it's a town in California that got wiped off the map in 2018. All the friends I knew up there survived.

I went there in 2017. Also to the Paradise in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and Paradise River in Labrador on a branch of the Trans-Labrador Highway.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

7/8

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I have been to both the Michigan Paradise and the Pennsylvania Paradise. As for Ohio, I know where the Getaway is and where one can seek Aid (both in Lawrence County)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kurumi

Hell's Backbone, UT
Bumpass Hell, Lassen NP, CA
Devil's Hop Yard SP, CT (and yes, there's now an IPA with that name)
Hell Valley, Noboribetsu, Hokkaido
Angels Camp, CA (CA 4 super-2 bypass)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on January 10, 2022, 07:57:52 PM
Hell's Backbone, UT
Bumpass Hell, Lassen NP, CA
Devil's Hop Yard SP, CT (and yes, there's now an IPA with that name)
Hell Valley, Noboribetsu, Hokkaido
Angels Camp, CA (CA 4 super-2 bypass)

Hell's Backbone is a road sadly that doesn't get features as much as it deserves to be.

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

GaryV

hotdogPi

Quote from: GaryV on January 11, 2022, 11:34:59 AM
^ I don't know.  Is hell flat?

If you've played Minecraft, hell (well, the game calls it the Nether) is much more mountainous.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

roadman65

Hell for me is waking up every morning with loss of urgency and motivation to get you going. Then as it's time for work, and you suddenly remember the things you were supposed to do.

Than Paradise I been to in PA on US 30 near Lancaster. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

I've been to Paradise, Utah (for the sole purpose of clinching SR 165). It is by all accounts a very typical Utah farm town.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 11, 2022, 11:30:11 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on January 10, 2022, 03:54:33 PM
Have you been to "Hell"?

I live in Illinois, does that count?  :spin:

Does Hell have people laying on their car horn and complaining about apartment complex parking lot incursions on YouTube?

wanderer2575

Quote from: GaryV on January 10, 2022, 04:01:40 PM
Both Paradise and Hell, both in Michigan.

As have I.

This was (maybe still is) posted in the parking lot of a bar on County Road D-32 in Hell:

1995hoo

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 10, 2022, 04:31:04 PM
How about Fucking, Austria before it got renamed?

I was reading the latest issue of Stereophile while eating lunch and discovered Middelfart, Denmark.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Life in Paradise

I actually live in Paradise, hence my name.  No, quite literally I live in an unincorporated area called "Paradise".

kkt

US 81

Off the top of my head: Eden and Paradise (towns), and a geologic feature called Devil's Backbone, all in TX. There're probably a few more that would qualify but I've gotten old and cant remember as well as I used  to.

hbelkins

I've been near Paradise, Ky., the town made famous by John Prine. It's a small community that's the sight of a TVA power plant on the Green River.

I've also been by Hell For Certain, Ky., which is also known as Dryhill, which is located adjacent to the Hal Roger Parkway in Leslie County near the KY 257 overpass.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.