News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old Exit Sign Hunt in PA

Started by ethanhopkin14, January 12, 2022, 08:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

I took a road trip last week to north west and western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh mainly) and I was shocked at how many "Old Exit __" signs are still on gantries on the interstates.  It's been 20 years since Pennsylvania switched to mile based exit numbering!  I thought the state wanted to get rid of them.  Are there other areas in the state where they have survived?

MATraveler128

I-78 in the Lehigh Valley still has plenty of them. There are also some on I-81 in the Scranton area.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

MASTERNC

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 12, 2022, 08:47:54 AM
I took a road trip last week to north west and western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh mainly) and I was shocked at how many "Old Exit __" signs are still on gantries on the interstates.  It's been 20 years since Pennsylvania switched to mile based exit numbering!  I thought the state wanted to get rid of them.  Are there other areas in the state where they have survived?

They're still around Philly as well, especially on I-76

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0787777,-75.3763137,3a,75y,320.57h,85.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0dp8vXxNWWYZfiyK3hwXQQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0126257,-75.211888,3a,75y,127.12h,96.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX7VY8BjDIEqOntNnMMfASQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

abqtraveler

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 12, 2022, 10:36:15 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 12, 2022, 08:47:54 AM

They're still around Philly as well, especially on I-76

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0787777,-75.3763137,3a,75y,320.57h,85.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0dp8vXxNWWYZfiyK3hwXQQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0126257,-75.211888,3a,75y,127.12h,96.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX7VY8BjDIEqOntNnMMfASQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

You'll still see the Old Exit XX signs along I-80 as well.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Alps

I have a nice photo of "I-295 WB" entering PA just after the mile-based renumbering. You still had OLD EXIT __ for the I-95 sequential numbering, along with an exit sign for I-95 (51 I believe) and then OLD EXIT 51 with the new exit sign for I-295 (10).

odditude

i think we're more likely to see "OLDER EXIT" patches on those signs than for PennDOT to take them down.

MATraveler128

The Pennsylvania Turnpike doesn't have any old exit signs left since everything was replaced in recent years. Also, some of the gore signs along many Pennsylvania Interstates haven't been replaced since the 80's and still have the old exit number patches even.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: odditude on January 12, 2022, 09:24:24 PM
i think we're more likely to see "OLDER EXIT" patches on those signs than for PennDOT to take them down.

I would have thought, with Pennsylvania's utter obsession with Clearview, that nearly every sign in the state would have been replaced in the past 20 years to get them Clearview-fied.  While the crew is out there, they can take off the "OLD EXIT __" sign.  I guess that's why is so shocking to me.  Coming from Texas, who like Pennsylvania, is heavily invested in Clearview, it's not uncommon to have seen signs that didn't need replacing to get replaced just to have the Clearview sign there.  That usually meant everything got replaced, especially anything superfluous.  Gotta get that brand out there!

jmacswimmer

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 12, 2022, 09:26:06 PM
The Pennsylvania Turnpike doesn't have any old exit signs left since everything was replaced in recent years. Also, some of the gore signs along many Pennsylvania Interstates haven't been replaced since the 80's and still have the old exit number patches even.

One exception - the Delaware Valley interchange, which was renumbered a 2nd time with the I-95 realignment, currently has "OLD EXIT 358" signage (which, as a bonus, might be the highest old exit number you'll ever see!)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MATraveler128

I completely overlooked that one. And yes, the old exit 358 sign I believe is the winner for highest old exit number.

jemacedo9

My favorite was Exit 31 on the PA Turnpike NE Extension/I-476.  The old exit was...31 (continuation of the PA Turnpike sequential numbering).  The new exit is...31 (following I-476 mileposts).  And they still placed OLD EXIT 31 signs.  With the widening project completed I don't think any survived.

jeffandnicole

When I-95 was converted to I-295, all they did was replace the old 'Old Exit' signage with new 'Old Exit' signage.

When the DRJTBC replaced exit signage in connection with the Scudders Falls Bridge project, on the PA side, they put up all new signage...with new 'Old Exit' signage.  On the NJ side of the river, the new exit signage was put up, omitting the 'Old Exit' signage.

hbelkins

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 13, 2022, 01:55:23 PM

I would have thought, with Pennsylvania's utter obsession with Clearview, that nearly every sign in the state would have been replaced in the past 20 years to get them Clearview-fied.  While the crew is out there, they can take off the "OLD EXIT __" sign.  I guess that's why is so shocking to me.  Coming from Texas, who like Pennsylvania, is heavily invested in Clearview, it's not uncommon to have seen signs that didn't need replacing to get replaced just to have the Clearview sign there.  That usually meant everything got replaced, especially anything superfluous.  Gotta get that brand out there!

A bit off-topic, but Michigan is the champion of replacing good signage with Clearview simply for the sake of Clearview.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Ghostbuster

Is the Pennsylvania DOT too lazy to remove the "old exit" signage? I don't expect it to be a high-priority, but the exit renumbering campaign first started in April 2001, and now it is January 2022. I would have thought the "old exit" signs would have stayed on for about 2-3 years, not going-on 20+.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 13, 2022, 07:03:04 PM
Is the Pennsylvania DOT too lazy to remove the "old exit" signage? I don't expect it to be a high-priority, but the exit renumbering campaign first started in April 2001, and now it is January 2022. I would have thought the "old exit" signs would have stayed on for about 2-3 years, not going-on 20+.

It's been a few years, but every once in a while I ran across an ad with the old exit numbers, including one attached to the DelRiv bridge on 80 toll booth.

That said, those things won't go away until sign replacements occur and most of them are in decent shape.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

MATraveler128

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 13, 2022, 07:03:04 PM

I think that PennDOT likely forgot to take them down. Here in Massachusetts, we just renumbered exits and our yellow Old Exit signs are supposed to stay up for two years. Though I suspect that the ones in PA will go away once signs are replaced along every mile of Interstate in Pennsylvania.

Roadsguy

I recall at some point hearing that when PennDOT put up all the Old Exit signs, they planned to maintain them for 10 years, but with no intention of actively removing all of them after that point. Instead, they just get removed as part of other signage or reconstruction projects.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

machias

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 13, 2022, 09:23:22 PM
I recall at some point hearing that when PennDOT put up all the Old Exit signs, they planned to maintain them for 10 years, but with no intention of actively removing all of them after that point. Instead, they just get removed as part of other signage or reconstruction projects.

Quite a few of the "Old Exit" signs on the Northeast Extension over time slid down the I beam support they were mounted to. Perhaps some can be found in the weeds down along the base of the sign installation.

tylert120

Clearview isn't used on Exit signs though.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tylert120 on January 14, 2022, 03:45:28 AM

In PA? They use Clearview quite a lot in their sign replacements.

https://goo.gl/maps/Mo9B2tfRHdToafP26

https://goo.gl/maps/fY3jAXmJvLnxLThd6

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 14, 2022, 09:14:18 AM

i believe Tyler120 was saying "the OLD EXIT signs themselves don't use Clearview, so why would they be removed/replaced when other non-Clearview signs are replaced with Clearview ones?"

the original idea that i believe Typer120 misunderstood was "why isn't PennDOT removing these signs while they're doing work on other signs on the same assemblies / at the same interchanges."

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: odditude on January 14, 2022, 01:18:36 PM

i believe Tyler120 was saying "the OLD EXIT signs themselves don't use Clearview, so why would they be removed/replaced when other non-Clearview signs are replaced with Clearview ones?"

the original idea that i believe Typer120 misunderstood was "why isn't PennDOT removing these signs while they're doing work on other signs on the same assemblies / at the same interchanges."

The last sentence was my statement.  Why not while they have a crew out there replacing old signs with new Clearview ones, taking the time to take down the "OLD EXIT __" signs? 

I thought I read somewhere that the state is trying to eliminate them. 

DrSmith

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 14, 2022, 04:17:44 PM
Quote from: odditude on January 14, 2022, 01:18:36 PM

The last sentence was my statement.  Why not while they have a crew out there replacing old signs with new Clearview ones, taking the time to take down the "OLD EXIT __" signs? 

I thought I read somewhere that the state is trying to eliminate them.

I'm thinking it's a work order thing. The work orders only say to replace this sign with that sign. There is nothing in the work orders about removing old exit number signs, so they remain.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.