News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Phone Numbers

Started by zachary_amaryllis, October 29, 2021, 12:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kkt on January 09, 2022, 02:46:18 PM
Quote from: Bruce on January 06, 2022, 11:35:30 PM
It's too bad area code 747 was assigned to part of LA instead of its rightful place as a Seattle overlay.

:clap:

Well, or an Everett-north suburbs area. But yes :)

You meant downtown Chicago, didn't you?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kkt

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 09, 2022, 02:57:35 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 09, 2022, 02:46:18 PM
Quote from: Bruce on January 06, 2022, 11:35:30 PM
It's too bad area code 747 was assigned to part of LA instead of its rightful place as a Seattle overlay.

:clap:

Well, or an Everett-north suburbs area. But yes :)

You meant downtown Chicago, didn't you?

No.  I mean Everett, Washington, where the 747 production line is and has been since production began.

kkt

But if I can think of a 3-digit code that means "stupid financiers overriding engineers about engineering matters, making projects late, and getting people killed,"  well, Chicago is welcome to that.

ZLoth

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 29, 2021, 12:30:29 PMback in the 90's, i used to run a bbs (a fido node, no less!) and the job of maintaining the local call list was delegated to me.

Hey, I remember FidoNet. I was one of two ISPs that had both a phone number ending in 1701 AND a node number ending in 1701 (1:203/1701).
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: ZLoth on January 10, 2022, 03:30:07 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 29, 2021, 12:30:29 PMback in the 90's, i used to run a bbs (a fido node, no less!) and the job of maintaining the local call list was delegated to me.

Hey, I remember FidoNet. I was one of two ISPs that had both a phone number ending in 1701 AND a node number ending in 1701 (1:203/1701).

1:306/36 for me back in the day. my hub was the guy across the street, so i would frequently toss mail from a diskette. at that time i was only 2400 baud. standard issue RA/FD/fmail setup.

'press escape twice for' (can't remember what i had there)
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on January 11, 2022, 04:31:09 AM
1:306/36 for me back in the day. my hub was the guy across the street, so i would frequently toss mail from a diskette. at that time i was only 2400 baud. standard issue RA/FD/fmail setup.

That reminds me of an "emergency project" where an unnamed train control supplier wanted $1.2M (about $1.75M today) to upgrade from 2400 baud to 7200 baud after it became difficult to replace the old modems.  It was an internal network, so we recommended that the Owner buy a bunch of rack-mounted 7200 baud modems themselves and upgrade the system themselves, starting with the host end (which needed two modems, for redundancy).  The best rack-mounted modems that we could find were plug-and-play and only ran about $175 a pop.  They didn't need me anymore, but I suspect that the operator did this work themselves for free (and kept the train control supplier out of the discussion altogether).

swake

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 11, 2022, 11:24:50 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on January 11, 2022, 04:31:09 AM

That reminds me of an "emergency project" where an unnamed train control supplier wanted $1.2M (about $1.75M today) to upgrade from 2400 baud to 7200 baud after it became difficult to replace the old modems.  It was an internal network, so we recommended that the Owner buy a bunch of rack-mounted 7200 baud modems themselves and upgrade the system themselves, starting with the host end (which needed two modems, for redundancy).  The best rack-mounted modems that we could find were plug-and-play and only ran about $175 a pop.  They didn't need me anymore, but I suspect that the operator did this work themselves for free (and kept the train control supplier out of the discussion altogether).

A rack mounted 7200 baud modem? Wow. A 10 gig NIC goes for about $175 bucks these days.

tolbs17

Some websites such as searchpeoplefree.com lists their phone numbers. And I feel like that's an invasion of privacy. I forget how you can opt out of that.

Big John

I remember when Ma Bell charged a monthly fee to leave your name out of the phone book.

Rothman

Quote from: Big John on January 22, 2022, 08:02:18 PM
I remember when Ma Bell charged a monthly fee to leave your name out of the phone book.
My mother pines for the return of Ma Bell.  She liked just having to call "The Phone Company" in the rare instances that things went awry.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.