News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What do you think are scams?

Started by kirbykart, January 06, 2023, 08:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 12:53:05 PM
CBD is legal in NYS, about time. The scam was alcohol and cigars being legal but not a harmless plant.
For hundreds of years alcohol was a vital part of the human diet. Literally vital.
Its a bit less clear with smoking to me, but looks like it was an important part of the diet as well, even despite the lime trick.

skluth

CBD is legal in NYS, about time. The scam was alcohol and cigars being legal but not a harmless plant.

Tobacco is a part of many Native American religious rituals, far more than peyote. We've already seen that banning alcohol doesn't work.

J N Winkler

I will admit there is some nuance with these.

Insurance.  All private insurance regulation in the US is based on the principle of underwriting profit (any other profit insurance companies make by investing premiums is not considered when progressing rate cases).

Oil consumption limits for internal-combustion car engines.  Since the 1920's, automakers have known how to build engines that burn zero oil in normal service after the break-in period.  They simply choose not to do so, typically for reasons related to the quality of oils expected to be on the market during a given design cycle.

Advice for choosing trees for landscaping.  Much of it does not stand the test of time.  Forty years ago, Bradford pears were popular; now they are considered invasive and unreasonably vulnerable to wind damage.  Sweet gum trees were also in fashion, and are now banned by many HOAs because of the gum balls.  Seventy years ago, elms ruled--now we're dealing with the aftermath of Dutch elm disease.

Can openers (manual or electric) that work by piercing the can lid.  Can openers that work by cutting the side of the can just below the lid allow more of the product to be poured out and leave cut edges that are far less likely to break skin.

Mandolines.  They're just an ER visit in waiting unless used with Kevlar gloves.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: skluth on January 07, 2023, 02:00:31 PM

Tobacco is a part of many Native American religious rituals, far more than peyote. We've already seen that banning alcohol doesn't work.

Neither does banning literally any other drug, especially weed. Marijuana has been around longer than alcohol.

wanderer2575

The useless, doesn't actually work, crap sold on TV commercials (egg peelers, microwave bacon fryers, socks with copper thread, Cubii foot elipticals, butter slicers, pocket hoses, flex seal, adhesive wall hangars, cord organizers, battery cases (who the hell needs to carry around a supply of 47 different consumer battery types?), etc., etc.).  And they'll make it a Double Offer! -- just pay for the second one!

(I concede that I love seeing the "Oh no!" looks on the actors' faces during the black-and-white Before scenes.  That's some quality B-list acting.)

kirbykart

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 07, 2023, 02:37:43 PM
The useless, doesn't actually work, crap sold on TV commercials (egg peelers, microwave bacon fryers, socks with copper thread, Cubii foot elipticals, butter slicers, pocket hoses, flex seal, adhesive wall hangars, cord organizers, battery cases (who the hell needs to carry around a supply of 47 different consumer battery types?), etc., etc.).  And they'll make it a Double Offer! -- just pay for the second one!

(I concede that I love seeing the "Oh no!" looks on the actors' faces during the black-and-white Before scenes.  That's some quality B-list acting.)

'This amazing cookware set costs not $400, $300, or even $200, but just the factory-direct price of 5 easy payments of $39.95!'

'But hurry, Yummy Can will be discontinued! Due to rising supply costs, Yummy Can will stop production immediately! There is a strict limit of 4 Yummy Cans per order!'  -(Who the hell needs 4 Yummy Cans?)

'It's an amazing $120 value, absolutely free!'  -(I swear, they just take a somewhat reasonable number and add $50 to it.)

The kind of crap they put in these infomercials is just ridiculous.

roadman65

Parties.  I believe that we are all individuals with different beliefs on everything. No two people have the same exact beliefs.  Therefore besides giving give false security as it creates situations where one who protects the environment can't be pro capital punishment.  That is impossible for half the universe to be for the same pros and have the same exact cons.

To me they divide not unite.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

We've also seen that moderation works better than both extremes.

Big John

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 07, 2023, 02:37:43 PM

"But wait", "amazing"

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on January 07, 2023, 03:15:19 PM
Parties.  I believe that we are all individuals with different beliefs on everything. No two people have the same exact beliefs.  Therefore besides giving give false security as it creates situations where one who protects the environment can't be pro capital punishment.  That is impossible for half the universe to be for the same pros and have the same exact cons.

To me they divide not unite.
Not to mention that the Constitution explicitly designed a system that shouldn't have them.  Political parties destroy the very system of checks and balances the Founding Fathers intended for us to have.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bruce

Would be helpful to have more parties made viable with a better voting method. FPTP is just awful.

Big John

DFS.  The sites' algorhythms are rigged against the bettor.

Scott5114

Quote from: skluth on January 07, 2023, 11:29:29 AM
CBD. I know this was mentioned already but it deserves its own spotlight.

I, too, think central business districts are scams.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on January 07, 2023, 04:43:18 PM

We've also seen that moderation works better than both extremes.
The cancer risk of tobacco outweighs any benefit from it.  For today, I like the current strategy of taxing the heck out of it, but am still troubled by the idea that we'll let people just get so addicted to the stuff that they may end up in financial and health ruin.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MultiMillionMiler

And weed hardly has any risks. Any laws against it are a scam. Can't wait to go to a local dispensary.

Max Rockatansky

Weed still smells gross when smoked.  Anyone who has tried to convince me otherwise is pulling a scam.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 07, 2023, 06:11:42 PM
Weed still smells gross when smoked.  Anyone who has tried to convince me otherwise is pulling a scam.
^This.  Smelling it in public is awful.  Smoke it on your own in your home, but it's still a public nuisance.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

That guy Morgan advocated for pot in Florida. The one who pats himself on the back for being Americas Largest Personal Injury firm and tells everyone to do your research before hiring a law firm.

Rumor has it he owns pot farms so of course he'd push legislation for it to be legally distributed.

Point is even the early baby boomers are coming around to the fact pot isn't so bad after all despite twenty years ago boomers were anti pot for generation X and Millennials to want.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman65 on January 07, 2023, 06:22:56 PM
That guy Morgan advocated for pot in Florida. The one who pats himself on the back for being Americas Largest Personal Injury firm and tells everyone to do your research before hiring a law firm.

Rumor has it he owns pot farms so of course he'd push legislation for it to be legally distributed.

Point is even the early baby boomers are coming around to the fact pot isn't so bad after all despite twenty years ago boomers were anti pot for generation X and Millennials to want.

I don't know if he owns pot farms, but he's freely admitted he's invested millions in the business, so he stands to gain a lot with his lobbying.

Also, he is a scam. On many levels. Bragging about hiring RFK Jr on Boston-area billboards alone proves what a turd he is.

Big John

Home improvement ads, particularly replacement windows.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Rothman on January 07, 2023, 06:16:43 PM
^This.  Smelling it in public is awful.  Smoke it on your own in your home, but it's still a public nuisance.

Drunk drivers are much more of a public nuisance. A stoned driver sits there waiting for the stop sign to turn green.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 06:54:54 PM
Quote from: Rothman on January 07, 2023, 06:16:43 PM

Drunk drivers are much more of a public nuisance. A stoned driver sits there waiting for the stop sign to turn green.

You sound like my wife's Uncle when he tries to convince me it's okay for him to smoke pot inside my house.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 06:59:31 PM
You sound like you need it so he's right. Take some deep breaths next time he's over and relax for once!

Can't, I'm a Federal Employee and get screened randomly.  Marijuana is still a Federal Schedule I narcotic and thusly would appear on a screen.  Likewise, I wouldn't allow someone to smoke a cigarette in my house either.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 07, 2023, 07:20:15 PM
You sound like you need it so he's right. Take some deep breaths next time he's over and relax for once!

Can't, I'm a Federal Employee and get screened randomly.  Marijuana is still a Federal Schedule I narcotic and thusly would appear on a screen.  Likewise, I wouldn't allow someone to smoke a cigarette in my house either.

To be fair, the federal drug-testing policy is kind of a scam. It's led to a lot of government agencies being forced to contract out certain functions because it is entirely impossible to hire anyone qualified who tests clean. (Computer programming is the prime example–you don't have to be high out of your mind to do software engineering, but it sure does help you make mental connections that you wouldn't otherwise.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 07, 2023, 07:24:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 07, 2023, 07:20:15 PM

To be fair, the federal drug-testing policy is kind of a scam. It's led to a lot of government agencies being forced to contract out certain functions because it is entirely impossible to hire anyone qualified who tests clean. (Computer programming is the prime example–you don't have to be high out of your mind to do software engineering, but it sure does help you make mental connections that you wouldn't otherwise.)

I don't disagree, all the same I'm not risking my pension and 401k over some weed.  A nice tall can of beer is more my speed anyways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.