News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most times you've moved in a short span of time

Started by index, January 30, 2023, 04:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

I apologize if there is a similar thread, due to the abundance of moved threads with "MOVED" in the title it is not exactly easy to search for one.
In the past two years, I have moved a lot. Just to list the moves:

• 06/2021: Indian Trail, NC to unincorporated Watauga County, NC, for college
  • 09/2021: unincorporated Watauga to Boone, NC proper, living arrangement did not work out due to developing health issues
  • 05/2022: Boone, NC to Indian Trail, NC, originally planned on renting a unit and staying in Boone, but decided to transfer schools due to personal reasons, necessitating staying at my mother's for the summer
  • 08/2022: Indian Trail to Johnson City, TN to start my second year of college
  • 11/2022: Johnson City to Elizabethton, TN to move in together with my partner, who I did not plan on living with when I signed a residence hall agreement at my current school. Life circumstances for the both of us ended up making this necessary
And come August of this year, I will be returning to Boone in an apartment. I am returning for several reasons. It turns out, as I got further into my major, I discovered I am going to need to learn how to code if I actually want to become successful with my major, but coding isn't even included in the program of study as far as I know. I am horrible at coding based on the dozen or so attempts I made as a younger teen, and don't want to learn to code. I hate coding. I'm changing my major to community planning which is a topic I enjoy and one I know won't require me to learn to code to be successful with. The catch is that it is not offered at my current school, so I'm going to have to switch back to my old one.

My partner also cannot drive and having to drive him around all the time, essentially managing the separate transportation needs of two adults, has proven to be a distraction from my education and from my own work. If I was back in Boone, he could just take the bus to get everywhere he needs to go like work, for free.

I am also considered an independent student now, and my parents are not paying for my education as of the moment, making cost a much greater consideration. I could, if I applied for it, try to claim in-state tuition in Tennessee, but I don't feel like it and it's not guaranteed. In North Carolina, my in-state status is still active, and I am projected to receive a Pell grant that will cover about 5/6ths of my tuition in Boone. There's also just more to do there, and I find myself coming back a lot of the time to connect with friends up there and to kill time.

...and that is why I will have moved six times in the span of three years.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Rothman

At one point, I had moved more times than the years I had been married.  Including a move from MA to MD, I believe it was five times over three years, but a lot of those times were just moving from apartment to apartment in the DC area (I refuse to say DMV, since that's a stupid initialism).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

During 2013 I made four moves in short succession:

-  I left my last apartment in Phoenix during January to take a new job in Florida. 
-  I briefly moved in with my Mom in Spring Hill, Florida and set up my mail to be forwarded. 
-  My job was in Key West but I was training in Jacksonville, so I moved into a paid hotel for a month.  I set up my mail to be forwarded to a local Post Office.
-  While working in Jacksonville in April I was briefly sent to Key West during April to find a lease.  I found said lease on Cudjoe Key and officially moved in the third week of April. 

I used to move from apartments every year during the 2002-2006 era before I bought my house.  The landlords in Phoenix were big on 10-15% increases, you definitely could keep your rent lower if you were okay with moving.  I didn't have a lot of stuff and a truck, so move it was. 

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on January 30, 2023, 06:54:26 AM
(I refuse to say DMV, since that's a stupid initialism).

Except when it's for Department of Motor Vehicles.  :D

hbelkins

1994-96.

Moved from one apartment to another in Irvine, Ky. in late winter-early spring 1994.
Moved from the apartment in Irvine back home with my dad in Beattyville, Ky., when changing jobs in spring 1995.
Moved from Beattyville to Winchester, Ky. when I got married in September 1995.
Moved from a duplex in Winchester to a home in spring 1996.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

elsmere241

Not counting in or out of the dorms during college here:

1997: Moved from Salt Lake City after two months, to greater Las Vegas for three weeks, then to my parents' house in Newark, DE.
1998: Moved from Newark after nineteen months to Raleigh, NC.
1999: Moved from Raleigh to Apex, NC after five and a half months.
2000: Moved back to Raleigh after nineteen months in Apex.
2002: Moved back to Newark in April after another nineteen months in Raleigh; moved to greater New Castle, DE in December where I stayed for three and a half years.

jeffandnicole

I've only moved twice in my life officially according to the DMV:

2000: After I got married when I moved into my inlaws house.
2001: We bought our own house and we moved there.

Going to college I had several different dorms for 2.5 years and an apartment for a year, but never officially changed my address.

Growing up, my mailing address changed 3 times due to adjustments by the post office, even though we never moved. 

frankenroad

Not me, but my best friend at the time moved twice in one month.  Moved into an apartment with his fiancee.  Three weeks later she dumped him (which was a good thing, actually) and he moved again.  Each time it was from a 3d-floor apartment to another 3d-floor apartment.  In July, in Maryland, with a sofa bed.  Not enough pizza and beer in the world for me to help with that again!

The good news is that the woman he started dating after he got dumped has now been his wife for 40+ years.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

GaryV

I don't recall the exact number, but my daughter lived in many different places in the 5.5 years* of her college career and the year or two following. Something like 13 places.

* - includes undergrad, some grad and several internships.

Rothman

At one point, I had moved more times than the years I had been married.  Including a move from MA to MD, I believe it was five times over three years, but a lot of those times were just moving from apartment to apartment in the DC area (I refuse to say DMV, since that's a stupid initialism).
Heh.  Of course, when I was a Mormon missionary, I moved about ten times over two-and-a-half years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

elsmere241

Quote from: Rothman on January 30, 2023, 05:59:48 PM
Heh.  Of course, when I was a Mormon missionary, I moved about ten times over two-and-a-half years.

Ten times in two years for me, one of them just for thirteen days because I was going home mid-transfer.

NWI_Irish96

Moved five times between May 2003 and May 2007.

Moved three times between May 2016 and November 2017.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

I believe New York (the state) doesn't even let you move from house to house more than once per year, although I'm not sure of the specifics. It's to prevent speculators from driving up housing prices.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on January 31, 2023, 10:26:19 AM
I believe New York (the state) doesn't even let you move from house to house more than once per year, although I'm not sure of the specifics. It's to prevent speculators from driving up housing prices.
Well, I live here in NY and haven't heard of this restriction or how such a restriction would be implemented.  Maybe through restricting address changes at the DMV?

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on January 31, 2023, 10:40:54 AM
Well, I live here in NY and haven't heard of this restriction or how such a restriction would be implemented.  Maybe through restricting address changes at the DMV?

Seriously, I don't know how a government could keep someone from moving. Life happens (job changes, transfers, marriages, divorces, natural disasters, etc.) And at least in Kentucky, if you change physical addresses but don't update certain documents such as driver's licenses or vehicle registration within a certain period of time, you're in violation of the law. Plus, if you move but don't change your voter registration, it can lead to you not being able to vote.

jeffandnicole

A quick Google search doesn't show anything pertaining to this in the first 20 or so results.

And there's a huge difference between buying and selling multiple houses in a year, and moving several times in a year.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Rothman on January 31, 2023, 10:40:54 AM

Quote from: hbelkins on January 31, 2023, 04:04:25 PM
Seriously, I don't know how a government could keep someone from moving. Life happens (job changes, transfers, marriages, divorces, natural disasters, etc.) And at least in Kentucky, if you change physical addresses but don't update certain documents such as driver's licenses or vehicle registration within a certain period of time, you're in violation of the law. Plus, if you move but don't change your voter registration, it can lead to you not being able to vote.

I might be wrong about this, but I believe that the law mentioned by number 1 relates to the application of New York State income taxes to transient residents.  (There are plenty of folks that work in New York for a while and defer their paychecks until they move out).  NYS is also aggressive about taxing folks that work in New York State but live elsewhere (same true for New York City income taxes).  Since I technically worked for the State (back in the days when the MTA and its Program Management Oversight unit was considered a branch of the State Legislature), we were constantly under scrutiny for adherence to these tax rules.  Anywhoosit, I recall that if you moved to New York State for a short period you would still be subject to state income tax for a longer minimum period.  I was having to file tax returns in New York, New Jersey and Virginia at the same time for a number of years.  Fortunately, both New Jersey and Virginia had reciprocal agreements that allowed all of New York income tax to be either deducted or pro-rated down in the other states.

As hard as this is to believe, Ashland, Kentucky had a similar non-resident income tax rule back in 1970s that is still in place today (1.5% of your income derived in the city). 

bandit957

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 31, 2023, 07:04:03 PMAs hard as this is to believe, Ashland, Kentucky had a similar non-resident income tax rule back in 1970s that is still in place today (1.5% of your income derived in the city).

I lived in Highland Heights and worked in Cold Spring. Cold Spring had a very steep tax like this.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

GaryV

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 31, 2023, 07:04:03 PM
non-resident income tax rule 
This is common (maybe universal) in the Michigan cities that have income tax.

Detroit lost a ton of tax money due to WFH. They could only tax you if you actually were in the city working.

hbelkins

Sounds like some of the references above are to payroll or occupational taxes.

My county of residence does not levy a payroll tax. Both the city and county where my office is located do levy such taxes.

During the time I worked from home due to the-virus-that-shall-not-be-named-under-threat-of-thread-lock, I was more or less exempted from paying those taxes. The state has forms you fill out to designate the amount of time you work in certain jurisdictions. Since I was going to the office only when needed, or once every couple of weeks otherwise to pick up mail and do things on the work computer network I couldn't do at home, I put that I was working in my home county 95 percent of the time and in the office 5 percent of the time. This amounted to a de facto 3 percent increase in my take-home pay for that period, plus fuel savings.

In Kentucky, these flat-rate taxes are levied on anyone who works within a certain jurisdiction regardless of residence. The money is automatically deducted from your check by your employer and remitted to the taxing agency. There is no difference made for residents and non-residents of the taxing jurisdiction, to my knowledge.

ZLoth

In my adult lifetime, I moved ONCE from Sacramento, CA to north Dallas, TX. I went from being a renter helping my mother keep the home that we had since 1977 to selling the house, moving to Texas, and I became the homeowner with my mother being a "renter" and helping with the expenses. I had a strong desire to get out of California, and I have absolutely no desire to move again as I am in a better place.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

epzik8

I moved four times between December 2019 and June 2020, all in the Baltimore area.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

abefroman329

Quote from: ZLoth on February 01, 2023, 02:49:06 PMI had a strong desire to get out of California, and I have absolutely no desire to move again as I am in a better place.
Is that so.

Scott5114

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 01, 2023, 04:25:16 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on February 01, 2023, 02:49:06 PMI had a strong desire to get out of California, and I have absolutely no desire to move again as I am in a better place.
Is that so.

Q: How do you know if someone is Texan?
A: Don't worry, they'll tell you within the first 2 minutes of meeting them.

Q: How many Texans does it take to change a light bulb?
A: They don't change the bulbs because the power's out anyhow.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.