News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Brossard Québec experimenting with stop light as a speed control device

Started by MikeTheActuary, May 01, 2023, 07:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeTheActuary

Saw this via Reddit:  https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/meet-fred-quebec-s-latest-school-zone-traffic-light-that-leaves-speeding-drivers-on-red-1.6378486

A smart traffic light will be installed near Marie-Laurier Academy south of the Champlain Bridge. Unlike regular lights, which are automated to keep traffic moving smoothly, this one has no problem halting traffic if it's moving too fast.

The speed limit around the school is 30 km/h. The light is red by default, but it will turn green for cars going the right speed. Vehicles going over 30 will meet a red, and be forced to stop before the light changes.

The system is called the called "Feu de ralentissement éducatif"  (Educational Speed-Reducing Light), or FRED, for short.

LilianaUwU

I prefer the good old way of giving people tickets for speeding.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Does Quebec still have those deactivated speed cameras where they kept the signs but they don't do anything?

fwydriver405

Looks like the traffic signal didn't last long. The plug was pulled on the signal on 23 May since the Québec Transport Ministry wasn't consulted about the project and "didn't respect provincial  guidelines":

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ministry-pulls-brossard-earl-light-1.6886985

LilianaUwU

Quote from: fwydriver405 on June 29, 2023, 01:03:50 AM
Looks like the traffic signal didn't last long. The plug was pulled on the signal on 23 May since the Québec Transport Ministry wasn't consulted about the project and "didn't respect provincial  guidelines":

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ministry-pulls-brossard-earl-light-1.6886985
I don't think it's surprising at all that the MTQ wasn't consulted. This screams "we didn't think that through".
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on May 01, 2023, 07:03:34 PM

The system is called the called "Feu de ralentissement éducatif"  (Educational Speed-Reducing Light), or FRED, for short.

'FRED' is short for something else in the world of trains in the US, which interestingly also has to do with red lights.  Of course the 'F' word occasionally gets swapped out for a different one...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.