News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

El Paso: bids opened for IH-10 widening

Started by MaxConcrete, October 08, 2021, 08:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtespi

Quote from: DJStephens on July 28, 2023, 10:51:09 AM
The amount of trucking, on the 10 corridor is quite eye opening.  And the length of the backups during this construction project.   There really should have been an Interstate (I-210) signed, and quality route through Anthony Gap by now.   Illustrates the backward thinking here.

Agreed. However, you'll be glad to know that the NMDOT is studying direct connectors (flyovers) for the rebuilt NM-404 and I-10 interchange. Honestly, they should have made it a SPUI instead of yet another diamond but I digress. Anyways, if flyovers are constructed and the entire new NM-404 plus the Texas portion Borderland Expressway is up to Interstate standards then maybe there could be an I-210.

The I-10 reconstruction from Vinton to Redd has shown that Loop 375 Transmountain is not a viable sole beltway for El Paso. Not to mention many trucks will not take Transmountain due to the grade and elevation gain. NM-404 needs to be freeway grade with either a proper median or beefed up cable barriers.

That won't be until 2030 at the soonest that an I-210 could be reality.

DJStephens

Quote from: jtespi on August 08, 2023, 03:03:17 AM
Quote from: DJStephens on July 28, 2023, 10:51:09 AM
The amount of trucking, on the 10 corridor is quite eye opening.  And the length of the backups during this construction project.   There really should have been an Interstate (I-210) signed, and quality route through Anthony Gap by now.   Illustrates the backward thinking here.

Agreed. However, you'll be glad to know that the NMDOT is studying direct connectors (flyovers) for the rebuilt NM-404 and I-10 interchange. Honestly, they should have made it a SPUI instead of yet another diamond but I digress. Anyways, if flyovers are constructed and the entire new NM-404 plus the Texas portion Borderland Expressway is up to Interstate standards then maybe there could be an I-210.

The I-10 reconstruction from Vinton to Redd has shown that Loop 375 Transmountain is not a viable sole beltway for El Paso. Not to mention many trucks will not take Transmountain due to the grade and elevation gain. NM-404 needs to be freeway grade with either a proper median or beefed up cable barriers.

That won't be until 2030 at the soonest that an I-210 could be reality.
"Studying direct flyovers"  I really doubt that.  They are doing a cheapie "flush median" jobbie on 404 right now.  About the cheapest they could come up with.   Four laning the entire stretch in cheap fashion, all the way to the silly rotary at Warr Road.  The alignment should have broken off, just E of the Gap saddle, following the high tension lines SE towards TX.  But it is impossible to build anything "new terrain" here now.  Really doubt they even thought about a flyover from 10 S E to 404 E, although that is what should have been built instead of the current "improved" diamond interchange, which has several "oddities" built into it.   They did acquire additional ROW on the W side of the 10/404 interchange, now close to a decade ago, likely during the Martinez administration.  Would guess that was a positive, although they are not using it in this current low buck rebuild.   

The Ghostbuster

I don't see an Interstate 210 being designated in either New Mexico or Texas, unless Loop 375 was renumbered to 210, which I highly doubt will happen. You'd probably have better luck extending the Interstate 110 designation up the US 54 freeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.