News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hotel breakfasts

Started by hbelkins, October 04, 2010, 08:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

the only amenity I need is an internet connection.  If I'm staying in a motel, as opposed to sleeping in car, the implication is I've got a backlog of email to catch up on that I punted from the mobile phone because it required some web research/thinking/quick sign design work/etc.  I can always ask at the front desk if there is internet.  If not, try the next place down the road...

an internet connection and some beer and I am all set to get things done!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Truvelo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 15, 2010, 02:49:35 PM
I'm hesitant to pre-pay. With me, a trip could fall a part the day before I'm scheduled to leave.

That's a risk I take although I always have travel insurance to fall back on should anything cancel my trip. The price difference between pre-pay and pay on site is enough to add up to quite a saving over several days.
Speed limits limit life

mightyace

I mainly prepay when booking for NASCAR race trips.  I'm already on the hook for the tickets at that point anyway.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

realjd

Quote from: Truvelo on October 15, 2010, 03:19:08 PM
That's a risk I take although I always have travel insurance to fall back on should anything cancel my trip. The price difference between pre-pay and pay on site is enough to add up to quite a saving over several days.

One thing to do for walk-up hotels is to ask specifically for the lowest available rate. Often hotels will have a rate quoted on a billboard or something, but you have to specifically ask for it. Walk up, ask the rate for a room, then ask if they have anything lower.

Also, at most rest areas in the US you can find hotel discount guides, often sorted by exit number. You can get good deals through those books. That's what I usually do if I don't have any reservations prearranged.

hbelkins

Quote from: realjd on October 15, 2010, 03:36:49 PM
Also, at most rest areas in the US you can find hotel discount guides, often sorted by exit number. You can get good deals through those books. That's what I usually do if I don't have any reservations prearranged.

Those coupon books are a crapshoot. Lots aren't good on weekends, the fine print says "limited availability" and a lot of the reviews I read on Trip Advisor indicate that motels aren't hesitant to say that they don't have any rooms available for that rate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on October 16, 2010, 06:24:48 PM
Quote from: realjd on October 15, 2010, 03:36:49 PM

Those coupon books are a crapshoot. Lots aren't good on weekends, the fine print says "limited availability" and a lot of the reviews I read on Trip Advisor indicate that motels aren't hesitant to say that they don't have any rooms available for that rate.

That happened to me in Ottawa, Kansas this Summer. The hotel didn't have any more rooms for the published coupon rate, but had several for $5 more. It wasn't even worth the coupon rate: it was a crappy Travelodge. Looked nice on the outside, but inside was a fire trap.

[Fixed quoting. -S.]
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

My brother and I have generally have had good luck with the coupon books.

Part of the secret is to call them before you go there.  Plus, we look them up on the internet.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.