News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

roadman65

I see the state relinquished Sam Walton Blvd to municipal control northwest of the US 71B/ AR 12 split ( known as Rainbow Curve) to I-49 through Bentonville.

It seems to me they should end US 71 at Exit 85 at the Bentonville- Rogers City Line along I-49.

Now you have a short useless overlap into Bentonville and US 71B now just has a sudden end and not at its parent.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Road Hog

Quote from: roadman65 on September 15, 2023, 03:27:32 PM
I see the state relinquished Sam Walton Blvd to municipal control northwest of the US 71B/ AR 12 split ( known as Rainbow Curve) to I-49 through Bentonville.

It seems to me they should end US 71 at Exit 85 at the Bentonville- Rogers City Line along I-49.

Now you have a short useless overlap into Bentonville and US 71B now just has a sudden end and not at its parent.
That would make it US 71 Spur, but I doubt ARDOT will bother to re-sign it.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Road Hog on September 16, 2023, 09:51:35 AM

Not to mention, they'll ultimately push offloading the remainder back up to I-49 at the Bella Vista exit as the overarching goal of ARDOT these days is to offload as many miles as possible to counties and cities so they don't have to maintain them.  Can't say as I blame them, but they generally have to throw a large project like a bridge reconstruction to make the deal tempting to the receiving party.

roadman65

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 16, 2023, 12:36:40 PM

Not to mention, they'll ultimately push offloading the remainder back up to I-49 at the Bella Vista exit as the overarching goal of ARDOT these days is to offload as many miles as possible to counties and cities so they don't have to maintain them.  Can't say as I blame them, but they generally have to throw a large project like a bridge reconstruction to make the deal tempting to the receiving party.

I read that Bentonville was more than happy to receive Walton Blvd as now that they own it, they don't need permission from the state to make changes to it.

Also I see that AR 72 is discontinuous as it has no overlap with I-49 and former US 71B between its two segments. Unlike AR 12 that is officially, but not signed, along US 71B and I-49, it does end and begin again with ARDOT recognizing it as two different routes with one number as AR 12 is still one continuous route.

Sheryl Crowe

MikieTimT

Quote from: roadman65 on September 16, 2023, 05:37:56 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on September 16, 2023, 12:36:40 PM

I read that Bentonville was more than happy to receive Walton Blvd as now that they own it, they don't need permission from the state to make changes to it.

Also I see that AR 72 is discontinuous as it has no overlap with I-49 and former US 71B between its two segments. Unlike AR 12 that is officially, but not signed, along US 71B and I-49, it does end and begin again with ARDOT recognizing it as two different routes with one number as AR 12 is still one continuous route.

Bentonville has got enough pull and revenue to not have to deal with the state on road projects, so more power to them.

AR-72 will be another AR-74 in 2-3 decades.

roadman65

Are you saying a city of 56k can control the big brass in the DOT?

I believe you as far as AR 72 going to be relinquished in parts especially now with the Bella Vista Bypass completed I can see the state handing over the route between Bentonville and Gravette to the county.

Sheryl Crowe

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 05, 2023, 04:18:52 PM
Has anyone heard about this?: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/authorities-can-t-figure-out-why-this-pipeline-exploded-in-arkansas-causing-a-major-fire/ar-AA1hKsDF?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=61c1d330ede844ea9fe4fb8034a9a070&ei=110.

Holy Shit. What a biased article. Then I looked at the source, Green Matters. Does MSN also post articles for Watts Up with That or, oh say, Breitbart?

bugo

Quote from: roadman65 on September 16, 2023, 05:37:56 PM

AR 12 doesn't "officially" follow US 71B between Bentonville and Rogers. It was once signed along then-US 71, but that was 40 years ago, and because Arkansas doesn't recognize overlaps other than some very short ones that are called "exceptions", AR 12 Section 2 double ends with AR 112 Section 2, and Section 3 doesn't begin until the intersection of AR 94 and US 62 in Rogers.

bugo

According to the latest Benton County control section map, US 71B section 18B ends at I-49 and doesn't continue west.

Road Hog

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 06, 2023, 06:44:45 AM
Has anyone heard about this?: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/authorities-can-t-figure-out-why-this-pipeline-exploded-in-arkansas-causing-a-major-fire/ar-AA1hKsDF?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=61c1d330ede844ea9fe4fb8034a9a070&ei=110.

Holy Shit. What a biased article. Then I looked at the source, Green Matters. Does MSN also post articles for Watts Up with That or, oh say, Breitbart?

Didn't see anything biased about it. Just a straightforward article about a pipeline exploding. Two local news outlets reported on it and you got triggered because the source MSN got it from was called Green.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Road Hog on October 07, 2023, 01:53:02 AM

Didn't see anything biased about it. Just a straightforward article about a pipeline exploding. Two local news outlets reported on it and you got triggered because the source MSN got it from was called Green.
This incident in Jessieville is just another piece of evidence proving how unsafe pipelines — and the entire fossil fuel industry — are. Humanity must continue to transition to a renewable energy economy, and as fast as possible.

Nope, not biased at all.

Rothman

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 12, 2023, 08:32:39 PM

This incident in Jessieville is just another piece of evidence proving how unsafe pipelines — and the entire fossil fuel industry — are. Humanity must continue to transition to a renewable energy economy, and as fast as possible.

Nope, not biased at all.
Define the bias.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Occidental Tourist

I believe the bias there is the conclusion that a report on a single or several gas leak incidents confirms a broader conclusion about the safety of underground gas pipes or the fossil fuel industry in general. The inclusion of the conclusion as definitive proof of a settled contention suggests that the author is searching for evidence to confirm a point of view that underground gas pipelines and the fossil fuel industry are dangerous, inherently dangerous, or more dangerous than alternatives.

An example of bias the other way would be if, instead of the current final paragraph, the article concluded with the following: "While this incident was no doubt harrowing for local residents, the relative lack of such gas pipeline leaks in relation to the millions of cubic feet of natural gas delivered to homes and businesses annually suggests that natural gas pipelines are one of the least dangerous methods for delivering heat and energy to US consumers."

sprjus4

Quote from: Rothman on October 12, 2023, 08:46:12 PM

Nope, not biased at all.
Define the bias.
There's no need for that entire paragraph to exist. In a non-biased article, you would focus on the facts for that incident. Making it into a broad conclusion is not relevant to the incident at hand.

Rothman

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 23, 2023, 10:14:46 PM

Nope, not biased at all.
Define the bias.
There's no need for that entire paragraph to exist. In a non-biased article, you would focus on the facts for that incident. Making it into a broad conclusion is not relevant to the incident at hand.
Unless it's an incident that's part of a hazardous pattern.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2023, 10:40:36 PM

Nope, not biased at all.
Define the bias.

Yes, but how many incidents, when considering the quantity of energy delivered by this method, constitute a pattern?  One could just as easily reach a similar conclusion about lithium ion batteries being a hazard due to the number of cellphone and laptop spontaneous combustions or battery electric cars catching fire while charging.  Yet, we mitigate risks by limiting the battery size on flights and perform recalls on some models of electric cars for battery replacements rather than conclude that we just need to eliminate them as unduly risky.

Rothman

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 24, 2023, 07:30:56 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2023, 10:40:36 PM

Nope, not biased at all.
Define the bias.

Yes, but how many incidents, when considering the quantity of energy delivered by this method, constitute a pattern?  One could just as easily reach a similar conclusion about lithium ion batteries being a hazard due to the number of cellphone and laptop spontaneous combustions or battery electric cars catching fire while charging.  Yet, we mitigate risks by limiting the battery size on flights and perform recalls on some models of electric cars for battery replacements rather than conclude that we just need to eliminate them as unduly risky.
Pursuing safer alternatives altogether is always an option.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjAquP6RD34

Arkansas State Highway Commission Meeting - December 06, 2023

Included in this meeting is a new I-55 Mississippi River Bridge that is going to cost $800 million, with the feds hopefully funding half of it ($400 million) and ARDOT and TDOT splitting 25% each ($200 million).

Tomahawkin

Good when is the Groundbreaking? This is 25+ years overdue! Hopefully it will be 10 lanes total

bwana39

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 07, 2023, 09:13:41 AM
Good when is the Groundbreaking? This is 25+ years overdue! Hopefully it will be 10 lanes total

The discussion of the bridge begins after 1:26:00 

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 07, 2023, 04:00:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjAquP6RD34

Arkansas State Highway Commission Meeting - December 06, 2023

Included in this meeting is a new I-55 Mississippi River Bridge that is going to cost $800 million, with the feds hopefully funding half of it ($400 million) and ARDOT and TDOT splitting 25% each ($200 million).

And Tenn is progressing nicely with the work of the Old Bridge.

bwana39

This seems way out of what Tennessee has said. Tennessee has said the social parts of the environmental study will not work in that location,

Road Hog

I'm not going to start a new thread on this, but I was in Cabot, AR today and saw a bunch of state roads have been divested in that city. AR 89 has been deleted between U.S. 67-167 and AR 367.  For that matter, AR 367 has been deleted from south of AR 89 all the way down to AR 5 and a portion of 367 from roughly the elementary school to AR 5 has been retained as AR 367 Spur. Even the bridge mile log signs have been changed to 367S.

Looks like ARDOT has washed its hands of that rat's nest. Cabot has a population of about 25K and has a road network for a city of about 3,000, which it still was in the early 1980s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.