AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-49 in Arkansas  (Read 1295757 times)

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
Re: I-49 in Arkansas
« Reply #3550 on: January 07, 2022, 12:59:24 PM »

What I'm seeing in Google Earth and the Google Maps webapp looks pretty janky with the curvature matching the terrain differences.

In other words, there is new aerial imagery (that follows the earth contours when blown up to ground-level view), but no new Street View to match. The Street View is from 2018, and it is missing from Rt 34 to the I-69/US 71 junction in MO (where I-49 didn't exist in 2018). I also see that there is a piece of new aerial missing at the south end of BVB, from 2 miles west of US 71 to just east of Rt 72.
New aerial imagery in Google Earth.  It hasn't yet made it over to Google Maps (which shows older imagery) as of last night.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Tomahawkin

• Last Login: Today at 08:27:22 PM
« Reply #3551 on: January 07, 2022, 08:20:49 PM »

Saw a video on Youtube that filmed 49 south from Bella Vista to The Boston mountains. Excluding the Interchanges with US 62, Wedington Rd. and 412, I was very impressed with the interchange improvements in the area. Why hasnt anything been done to The Wedington Rd interchange? Also Why is there no overhead lighting on that stretch? Considering all the foggy days that The Fayetteville area gets this time of the year? LED Lighting would be enough because it does emit as much light pollution as the standard ones used to

There should be overhead lighting at the Fulbright expressway interchange. That interchange can be confusing for out of towners, IMO

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:24:03 PM
« Reply #3552 on: January 07, 2022, 09:18:17 PM »

The I-49 interchange with the Fulbright Expressway is pretty unusual. As to the lack of overhead lights along I-49 in that part of Fayetteville, I can only guess AR DOT is being cheap. It's either that or home owners nearby don't want the light pollution.

They could modify the concrete Jersey barrier to include recessed LED-based flood lights, facing forward to spread a beam of light out onto the roadway. A recessed design would do much to hide the lights from opposing traffic. The renovation of I-25 through Trinidad, CO features some of this kind of lighting design. No tall overhead masts contributing to light pollution. But motorists still see the roadway nice and clearly.

Tomahawkin

• Last Login: Today at 08:27:22 PM
« Reply #3553 on: January 07, 2022, 09:51:15 PM »

I hope ARDOT just read your last post. Once 49 is completed, there will be a lot more truck traffic using that route. I'm really surprised there is no lighting in the Boston Mountains area because of all the fog and Deer traffic. Alabama is using Solar panels on their bridges areas of high elevation on IH 20. Why can't Arkansas implement that? Especially since they say the state is too broke for interstate upgrades?

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #3554 on: January 07, 2022, 10:10:00 PM »

Saw a video on Youtube that filmed 49 south from Bella Vista to The Boston mountains. Excluding the Interchanges with US 62, Wedington Rd. and 412, I was very impressed with the interchange improvements in the area. Why hasnt anything been done to The Wedington Rd interchange? Also Why is there no overhead lighting on that stretch? Considering all the foggy days that The Fayetteville area gets this time of the year? LED Lighting would be enough because it does emit as much light pollution as the standard ones used to

There should be overhead lighting at the Fulbright expressway interchange. That interchange can be confusing for out of towners, IMO

The Wedington Interchange is in the process of being "remolded".  Construction just began in the last month or two,
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Razorback19

• Last Login: Today at 08:14:54 PM
« Reply #3555 on: January 07, 2022, 10:12:52 PM »

Construction on I-49 corridor connecting Chaffee Crossing to Alma starting this fall

The project has been in the works for over 20 years.

Updated: 7:39 PM CST January 7, 2022

BARLING, Ark. – The Arkansas Department of Transportation and the Fort Chaffee Redevelopment Authority (FCRA) has announced that construction on the I-49 corridor between Chaffee Crossing and Alma will begin this fall.
Funding to complete the 13.5-mile stretch of I-49 between Highway 22 in Sebastian County to I-40 in Crawford County was approved by voters in 2020 as part of Issue 1 on the ballot.

"We are sincerely thankful for ARDOT's fulfillment of promises to Arkansas voters following passage of Issue 1 in November 2020," FCRA CEO Daniel Mann said.
The new stretch of interstate is part of a long-term congressional plan to connect Shreveport, Louisiana, to Kansas City, Missouri.
Construction will begin in the fall of 2022, but no details about a completion date have been shared.
"It will be a great pleasure to plan the groundbreaking this fall and see real work begin in the near future," Mann said. "I-49 is a major transportation corridor that will open up the Fort Smith regional market to greater domestic and international trade."
Please check back for updates to this developing story.

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/news/local/interstate-49-corridor-construction-chaffee-crossing-barling-alma-arkansas-start-date/527-950b0b7c-70e0-4cf3-9570-edc25d518f83?fbclid=IwAR3t-w6eUkKDTly9BTX3IWLLDQNfmphfECge_M9KVkN7PMtMzHcYtQ3HeXs

MikieTimT

• Last Login: Today at 03:39:18 PM
« Reply #3556 on: January 07, 2022, 10:58:57 PM »

Finally!  Our tax dollars at work.  I just wonder about whether they do a Super-2 initially as nothing has been stated publicly that I've seen on how this is going to be built out.  It would seem to be difficult to twin the span over the Arkansas River, so maybe they just do all 4 lanes with a Jersey barrier like I-540 and just stripe for 2 lanes initially?

O Tamandua

• Last Login: March 18, 2023, 03:35:18 PM
    • A-B-P Ministries - An evangelical Christian ministry serving Angola, Brazil, Portugal.
« Reply #3557 on: January 08, 2022, 12:22:52 AM »

Construction on I-49 corridor connecting Chaffee Crossing to Alma starting this fall

The project has been in the works for over 20 years.

Updated: 7:39 PM CST January 7, 2022

BARLING, Ark. – The Arkansas Department of Transportation and the Fort Chaffee Redevelopment Authority (FCRA) has announced that construction on the I-49 corridor between Chaffee Crossing and Alma will begin this fall.
Funding to complete the 13.5-mile stretch of I-49 between Highway 22 in Sebastian County to I-40 in Crawford County was approved by voters in 2020 as part of Issue 1 on the ballot.

"We are sincerely thankful for ARDOT's fulfillment of promises to Arkansas voters following passage of Issue 1 in November 2020," FCRA CEO Daniel Mann said.
The new stretch of interstate is part of a long-term congressional plan to connect Shreveport, Louisiana, to Kansas City, Missouri.
Construction will begin in the fall of 2022, but no details about a completion date have been shared.
"It will be a great pleasure to plan the groundbreaking this fall and see real work begin in the near future," Mann said. "I-49 is a major transportation corridor that will open up the Fort Smith regional market to greater domestic and international trade."
Please check back for updates to this developing story.

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/news/local/interstate-49-corridor-construction-chaffee-crossing-barling-alma-arkansas-start-date/527-950b0b7c-70e0-4cf3-9570-edc25d518f83?fbclid=IwAR3t-w6eUkKDTly9BTX3IWLLDQNfmphfECge_M9KVkN7PMtMzHcYtQ3HeXs

Told you the spotlight will now be the brightest it's ever been on the remainder of Arkansas I-49.

BTW, dig what's considered the top Northwest Arkansas business story for the year 2021 in TalkBusiness&Politics.

Road Hog

• Last Login: Today at 08:43:44 PM
« Reply #3558 on: January 08, 2022, 03:56:04 AM »

That's a longtime function of AHTD/ARDOT farming out responsibility of lighting interchanges to the county or municipality with jurisdiction over the interchange.

bwana39

• Last Login: Today at 02:24:12 PM
« Reply #3559 on: January 08, 2022, 10:33:17 AM »

That's a longtime function of AHTD/ARDOT farming out responsibility of lighting interchanges to the county or municipality with jurisdiction over the interchange.

Louisiana is the same way. DOTD doesn't pay for the lighting. If the city or parish doesn't want to pay, they just cut them off. DOTD does install lighting in new construction  IF the locals have agreed to pay. If there is no payment agreement, they leave it off the project.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Razorback19

• Last Login: Today at 08:14:54 PM
« Reply #3560 on: January 08, 2022, 11:05:09 AM »

Finally!  Our tax dollars at work.  I just wonder about whether they do a Super-2 initially as nothing has been stated publicly that I've seen on how this is going to be built out.  It would seem to be difficult to twin the span over the Arkansas River, so maybe they just do all 4 lanes with a Jersey barrier like I-540 and just stripe for 2 lanes initially?

Probably wishful thinking but since they didn't specifically say maybe we will get all four lanes.

If they do the Super 2, I do think they should go ahead and do the 4 lane bridge even if it only services 2 lanes at the beginning. Whether that is twin spans or a four lane divided remains to be seen.

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
« Reply #3561 on: January 08, 2022, 01:48:44 PM »

Does anyone have a link to an exit list of the old I-540 exit numbers?
There were 2 different exit number sequences, one for S of I-40 and another for N of I-40.
ISTR the northern section started at 0 or 1 or something, not 20 as it does now, though my memory may be wrong here.
If so, we could be looking at the second renumbering along this section once ARDOT renumbers exits to fit the statewide I-49 mileage & eliminate the 186-mile jump at the Bella Vista exit.

Edit:
Old wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Interstate_540_(Arkansas)&oldid=410633771
Looks like the norther section always started at 20. Exits 15 & 20 @ I-40 accounts for the 5-mile overlap, and explains starting the northern bit at 20.
So the southern bit was... just numbered backwards. Sure guys. That makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 01:53:27 PM by yakra »
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

MikieTimT

« Reply #3562 on: January 09, 2022, 03:32:44 PM »

Does anyone have a link to an exit list of the old I-540 exit numbers?
There were 2 different exit number sequences, one for S of I-40 and another for N of I-40.
ISTR the northern section started at 0 or 1 or something, not 20 as it does now, though my memory may be wrong here.
If so, we could be looking at the second renumbering along this section once ARDOT renumbers exits to fit the statewide I-49 mileage & eliminate the 186-mile jump at the Bella Vista exit.

Edit:
Old wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Interstate_540_(Arkansas)&oldid=410633771
Looks like the norther section always started at 20. Exits 15 & 20 @ I-40 accounts for the 5-mile overlap, and explains starting the northern bit at 20.
So the southern bit was... just numbered backwards. Sure guys. That makes sense.

Actually, it's the northern part that became I-49 that doesn't make sense.  There are actually surprising few signed interstate spurs (odd#XX) in the U.S., and Arkansas just happens to have 2 of them.  The way Arkansas signs the exits, which makes perfect sense, is that mile marker 0 is where the child interstate splits from the parent.  It has nothing to do with a southern or western border like the 2di Interstates track exits and mile markers.  The part that got screwed up in Arkansas' case with I-49 is that AHTD/ARDOT was denied the I-49 designation back when they originally applied for it, so the next best designation they got in the interim was I-540.  The exit numbers should have been done in the first place with I-49 mile markers knowing that was the ultimate goal of the freeway, so there's really no actual logic to starting with 20. It certainly took some mental gymnastics to get them there from the Oklahoma border and concurrency with I-40 with the original mile markers/exits working south from I-40 on I-540.

MikieTimT

« Reply #3563 on: January 09, 2022, 03:40:06 PM »

Probably wishful thinking but since they didn't specifically say maybe we will get all four lanes.

If they do the Super 2, I do think they should go ahead and do the 4 lane bridge even if it only services 2 lanes at the beginning. Whether that is twin spans or a four lane divided remains to be seen.

Even a Super-2 at 65MPH knocks 10 minutes off the trip from Alma to Barling.  It won't stay that way for long as it'll get quite a lot of traffic from the south side of the Arkansas River east of Barling bound for NWA and the converse.  Not to mention US-71 through traffic.

Road Hog

• Last Login: Today at 08:43:44 PM
« Reply #3564 on: January 10, 2022, 04:45:06 AM »

Even a Super-2 at 65MPH knocks 10 minutes off the trip from Alma to Barling.  It won't stay that way for long as it'll get quite a lot of traffic from the south side of the Arkansas River east of Barling bound for NWA and the converse.  Not to mention US-71 through traffic.
With all the earthwork involved and the bridge, they might as well put in both main lanes at the same time. After all that costly construction work, paving a lane would be a drop in the bucket.

MikieTimT

« Reply #3565 on: January 10, 2022, 11:01:28 AM »

With all the earthwork involved and the bridge, they might as well put in both main lanes at the same time. After all that costly construction work, paving a lane would be a drop in the bucket.

That's how they did AR-540/I-540/I-49 from Alma to Fayetteville, except they did it in 2 segments.  They did all travel lanes and bridges from I-40 to the Mountainburg exit, then dumped off onto Dollard Rd/AR-282 to connect to old US-71 for the remainder of the trip until they got the giant bridges and tunnel completed to pave the northern segment.  That took a few years, but got some benefit.  I don't see how they'd logically break this up into segments as Kibler isn't much of a traffic generator, nor the river bottoms themselves, so it's likely that it opens all at once if they decide that a Super-2 doesn't save much in the interim and the alternative route that I-49 is replacing isn't near the new terrain construction.

MikieTimT

« Reply #3566 on: January 11, 2022, 11:31:43 AM »

Quote from: bugo
When I-49 is completed in the Fort Smith area, it will provide a good connection between I-49 south and I-40 east. However, to go from NB I-49 to WB I-40 or from EB I-40 to SB I-49, it will take quite a bit of backtracking.

Are you saying the planned modification of the I-40/I-49 interchange in Alma is going to be missing a couple of ramps? Are there any schematics or other diagrams available?

Just remembered this question, and ARDOT does still have the diagrams for the planned interchange.

https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/2018-05-01_Public-Meeting-I49-Concept-Exhibits_FINAL-DRAFT-4_I-40.pdf

The mainline I-49 overpasses are WAY up at the top of the stack.

Edit:  They are also planning on deleting the current I-49S->I-40W offramp and replacing.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:34:38 AM by MikieTimT »

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:24:03 PM
« Reply #3567 on: January 11, 2022, 01:50:20 PM »

So the finished interchange will be a 4-level directional stack. Good. A directional stack in that location is not really an extravagance considering two of the existing flyover ramps will remain.

I think it does make sense to replace the existing SB I-49 to WB I-40 ramp with a new ramp that will join with a new NB I-49 to WB I-40 flyover ramp. That will reduce any merge conflicts with I-49 traffic entering WB I-40.

Quote from: MikieTimT

In retro-fitting an existing Y interchange into a full stack they have don't have any other choice. What else could they do? Tunnel the main lanes of I-49 under I-40?

It's not necessarily a bad thing to place the main lanes of one highway at the top level of a 4-level directional stack interchange. Others exist that have done so. the I-45/I-30 interchange in Dallas is one example. The Bush Turnpike and US-75 in Plano is another. The US-101/CA-110 interchange in downtown LA is old but iconic.

Anyway, when the I-40/I-49 interchange is completed it will no doubt be used a lot more by motorists coming up I-49 and going into Oklahoma as opposed to leaving I-49 South of Fort Smith and taking other roads to reach I-40 in Salisaw. There are 7 traffic signals along the 4.5 mile stretch of US-71 between the future I-49/US-71 interchange and I-540. Once I-540 enters Oklahoma, turning into US-271, there is at least a couple more traffic signals along the way in towns like Spiro. Taking I-49 up to Alma to pick up I-40 might indeed involve some back-tracking to go West into Oklahoma. But that's going to be a lot faster than any alternatives.

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Wayward Memphian

• Last Login: Today at 10:27:45 AM
« Reply #3569 on: January 11, 2022, 03:21:26 PM »

Maybe this will light a fire under OK to finish US 75/US 69:bigass:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:29:46 PM by Wayward Memphian »

MikieTimT

« Reply #3570 on: January 11, 2022, 04:16:20 PM »

Maybe this will light a fire under OK to finish US 75/US 69:bigass:

Sure would be nice if they would, at least up to I-40 in our lifetimes.  Arkansas is showing how it gets done in the modern era.  It does take a tax bump to pull it off, but it's an investment in yourself at the end of the day.

MikieTimT

« Reply #3571 on: January 11, 2022, 04:17:47 PM »

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 10:14:03 PM
« Reply #3572 on: January 11, 2022, 04:37:08 PM »

Now that the Bella Vista Bypass is completed, it is high time the old Interstate 540 exit numbers 20-88 become Interstate 49 exit numbers 206-274!

MikieTimT

« Reply #3573 on: January 11, 2022, 04:44:08 PM »

So the finished interchange will be a 4-level directional stack. Good. A directional stack in that location is not really an extravagance considering two of the existing flyover ramps will remain.

I think it does make sense to replace the existing SB I-49 to WB I-40 ramp with a new ramp that will join with a new NB I-49 to WB I-40 flyover ramp. That will reduce any merge conflicts with I-49 traffic entering WB I-40.

Quote from: MikieTimT

In retro-fitting an existing Y interchange into a full stack they have don't have any other choice. What else could they do? Tunnel the main lanes of I-49 under I-40?

It's not necessarily a bad thing to place the main lanes of one highway at the top level of a 4-level directional stack interchange. Others exist that have done so. the I-45/I-30 interchange in Dallas is one example. The Bush Turnpike and US-75 in Plano is another. The US-101/CA-110 interchange in downtown LA is old but iconic.

Anyway, when the I-40/I-49 interchange is completed it will no doubt be used a lot more by motorists coming up I-49 and going into Oklahoma as opposed to leaving I-49 South of Fort Smith and taking other roads to reach I-40 in Salisaw. There are 7 traffic signals along the 4.5 mile stretch of US-71 between the future I-49/US-71 interchange and I-540. Once I-540 enters Oklahoma, turning into US-271, there is at least a couple more traffic signals along the way in towns like Spiro. Taking I-49 up to Alma to pick up I-40 might indeed involve some back-tracking to go West into Oklahoma. But that's going to be a lot faster than any alternatives.

No, the mainlines of I-49 on top of the stack make the most sense since they also must cross over US-64 and UP RR in short succession as there isn't room for an interchange with US-64 anyway, nor is it very far to bump east 1 exit on I-40 or 5 miles on I-40 west to I-540 and get there anyway.

That segment of US-71 between I-49 and I-540 would make for a decent short 3di with frontage roads.  Probably would only take 4-5 overpasses and frontage roads to make it happen.  I prefer going to Dallas using I-40/I-540/US-271/OK-112/US-271/OK-1/OK-2/OK-43 around Sardis Lake and then US-69/US-75 for mileage/scenic reasons, given a 3 minute difference in time between taking US-69 all the way to I-40 and over.  Plus my wife is Asian and we inevitably end up stopping on Midland Ave. in Ft. Smith and stock up cheap Asian ingredients while coming back through.  So, I'd probably rarely use it myself as I-540 takes me closer to downtown there, but once I-49 goes south and intersects AR-10, a new shortcut opens up to OK-112 over OK-120 that's really scenic as well and cuts off Pocola and Ft. Smith altogether.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 05:00:28 PM by MikieTimT »

MikieTimT

« Reply #3574 on: January 11, 2022, 04:45:17 PM »

Now that the Bella Vista Bypass is completed, it is high time the old Interstate 540 exit numbers 20-88 become Interstate 49 exit numbers 206-274!

I never did get a response from ARDOT when I posed that same statement.  Maybe they're waiting for the missing link...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.