AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-49 in Arkansas  (Read 1295814 times)

edwaleni

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:22:34 PM
Re: I-49 in Arkansas
« Reply #3600 on: January 16, 2022, 01:00:03 AM »

Issue will be bridges and cuts through a few ridges as the Ouachitas are the only E/W running mountain range in the continental US, and the road is N/S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umtanum_Ridge

Mesocene era mountains that predate the Cascades.

Drive I-82 from Yakima to Ellensburg as a reference.

I stand corrected and thanks for the insight!

No worries, I think there are only 5 E/W ranges in all the Lower 48.  It's kind of like a river flowing north as well. Just not common.

MikieTimT

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:39:18 PM
« Reply #3601 on: January 16, 2022, 01:23:13 PM »

Issue will be bridges and cuts through a few ridges as the Ouachitas are the only E/W running mountain range in the continental US, and the road is N/S.

No worries, I think there are only 5 E/W ranges in all the Lower 48.  It's kind of like a river flowing north as well. Just not common.

We've got a few of those too.  White, Illinois, and Kings Rivers all go north out of the Boston Mtns. before emptying into a lake that goes east from there, or swinging back south after going west.

mvak36

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:22:01 PM
« Reply #3602 on: January 16, 2022, 10:28:33 PM »

We've got a few of those too.  White, Illinois, and Kings Rivers all go north out of the Boston Mtns. before emptying into a lake that goes east from there, or swinging back south after going west.

I know this one flows north up into Canada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_of_the_North
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Tomahawkin

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:27:22 PM
« Reply #3603 on: January 17, 2022, 05:48:12 AM »

Once 49 is completed? Does anyone think that people will move to the west central part of the state? That area from I have seen looks very scenic, and could be a destination area for retirees? I know many people moved to NWA From California and Texas because the cost of living was 50 percent less in NWA...

bwana39

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:24:12 PM
« Reply #3604 on: January 17, 2022, 08:49:58 AM »

Once 49 is completed? Does anyone think that people will move to the west central part of the state? That area from I have seen looks very scenic, and could be a destination area for retirees? I know many people moved to NWA From California and Texas because the cost of living was 50 percent less in NWA...

I will give you this. There are lots of people retiring to Northeast Texas but it seems they are from DFW not really from out of the larger region. The ones from California are moving to DFW and to retirement communities not to rural areas.  Holly Lake Ranch and Hot Springs Village are the kinds of places they want. Even the Dallas folks are afraid of Bears and the darkness. There are no bears in NE Texas and my thought on the darkness is if I can see them they can see me. I keep all of my outside lighting off after bedtime. I like the tranquility.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Tomahawkin

« Reply #3605 on: January 17, 2022, 09:45:20 AM »

Good point. I forgot about that area of Texas along IH-30 in terms of people moving there. If  Walmart or Amazon adds a facility in-between Ft Smith and Texarkana. People will move there. Not to mention many people from California and the west coast who lose their homes to wildfires/mudslides flock to rural areas of Arkansas because houses are a hell of a lot cheaper...

MikieTimT

« Reply #3606 on: January 17, 2022, 11:43:18 AM »

Good point. I forgot about that area of Texas along IH-30 in terms of people moving there. If  Walmart or Amazon adds a facility in-between Ft Smith and Texarkana. People will move there. Not to mention many people from California and the west coast who lose their homes to wildfires/mudslides flock to rural areas of Arkansas because houses are a hell of a lot cheaper...

The environmental types from California won't like it here.  We prescribe burn our forests like the Native Americans did to keep the wildfire fuel down and our environmental laws are much more lax than theirs.  Tourism is a big deal here, so for the most part, we don't overharvest the resources here, but we don't let things get in the way of job creation.  As a result, we'd possibly draw a certain type of fed-up west coast type that's been politically marginalized for a very long time, but the rest would only feel at home in Fayetteville proper.  Once you get south of Greenwood and north of DeQueen on US-71, it gets backwoods in a hurry.  I grew up in the area and can appreciate it for the lifestyle it affords, but you really gotta want to escape people to want to settle in that area.  In other words, you'd likely want to enjoy the national forest lands and national trails, but likely not want to move there.  There are no jobs that aren't timber or agricultural, and neither Amazon nor Wal-Mart is going to put anything north of Texarkana or south of Chaffee Crossing in our lifetimes for warehousing/distribution.  The push to fill the I-49 gap will likely come once the Super-2 AR-549 is almost complete and drawing probably twice the traffic that the current US-71 is.  The hope is that Arkansas gets more INFRA or BUILD type grants to put toward the project once the feds see the state making concrete progress mostly on the back of the continuation of the 0.5 cent sales tax proceeds.

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:55:49 PM
« Reply #3607 on: January 17, 2022, 01:08:39 PM »

The environmental types from California won't like it here.  We prescribe burn our forests like the Native Americans did to keep the wildfire fuel down and our environmental laws are much more lax than theirs.
California is so dumb for not doing this.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #3608 on: January 17, 2022, 01:13:42 PM »

The environmental types from California won't like it here.  We prescribe burn our forests like the Native Americans did to keep the wildfire fuel down and our environmental laws are much more lax than theirs.
Do they not?

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/prescribed-burning
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #3609 on: January 17, 2022, 01:14:49 PM »

Do they not?

Interesting. I've never seen California do it so I suspect it's rare. I always try and keep up with this stuff so thanks for the link. I will check it out.

MikieTimT

« Reply #3610 on: January 17, 2022, 01:41:03 PM »

Do they not?

It may be in the books as a valid forestry management tool, but that doesn't mean that it gets employed sufficiently to address the issue of fuel surplus on the forest floors.

In Arkansas, there's wind and humidity constraints that limit the windows that it's used, but there's no mechanism that I know of other than that where the U.S. Forestry Service has any other constraints, including public feedback of any kind.  They'll issue advisories to the local news media, but then it just happens.  You'll see a plume of smoke for a couple of days, then it's over.

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #3611 on: January 17, 2022, 01:48:40 PM »

Do they not?

It may be in the books as a valid forestry management tool, but that doesn't mean that it gets employed sufficiently to address the issue of fuel surplus on the forest floors.

This is what I think as well.

Arkansastravelguy

• Last Login: May 07, 2023, 05:15:45 PM
« Reply #3612 on: January 20, 2022, 04:17:17 PM »

I noticed the numbers were changed as well. I imagine we wont see 49 completed in my lifetime

iPhone

bwana39

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:24:12 PM
« Reply #3613 on: January 21, 2022, 12:06:29 AM »

I noticed the numbers were changed as well. I imagine we wont see 49 completed in my lifetime

iPhone

What is this in reply of? I need some context....
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

MikieTimT

« Reply #3614 on: January 21, 2022, 10:14:19 AM »

iPhone

What is this in reply of? I need some context....

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3324.msg2698027#msg2698027

And in confirmation of my suspicion, I took the entire BVB to Joplin on the way to Cabool, MO to pick up a topper for my truck, and sure enough, there is no longer any I-49 exit in Arkansas greater than 105 now.  But we do have the desirable state of having multiple mile markers that are now duplicates in the range of 20-42!  Can't for the life of me reconcile why they did this.  Now AR-549 from US-71 to AR-22 stands out like a sore thumb of sensibility!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:22:40 AM by MikieTimT »

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
« Reply #3615 on: January 22, 2022, 07:09:07 PM »

And in confirmation of my suspicion, I took the entire BVB to Joplin on the way to Cabool, MO to pick up a topper for my truck, and sure enough, there is no longer any I-49 exit in Arkansas greater than 105 now.  But we do have the desirable state of having multiple mile markers that are now duplicates in the range of 20-42!  Can't for the life of me reconcile why they did this.  Now AR-549 from US-71 to AR-22 stands out like a sore thumb of sensibility!
Your linked post mentions 284 -> 99. What are the new numbers for 287 & 289?
I assume the significance of 105 is that that's the mile number at the Missouri line?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 12:18:02 AM by yakra »
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Road Hog

• Last Login: Today at 02:15:33 AM
« Reply #3616 on: January 22, 2022, 11:56:52 PM »

Your linked post mentions 284 -> 99. What are the new number for 287 & 289?
I assume the significance of 105 is that that's the mile number at the Missouri line?
Yes it's stupid, but count on Arkansas to do the right thing only after all other alternatives have failed.

Tomahawkin

« Reply #3617 on: January 23, 2022, 08:59:07 PM »

Im catching up on the posts about 49 and the building from Ft Smith to Texarkana? What does a super 2 road mean in the building process? Im guessing its a two lane road with passing lanes added every 15 to 20 milies? or adding lanes near towns along the route? While the land will be cleared for another 2 lane road to be finished at a later date?

If Im right in guessing, Most of IH 22 in Alabama and Mississippi was done in the same order through similiar terrain. Problem is that 220 mile segment took 25+ years to complete

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #3618 on: January 23, 2022, 09:00:58 PM »

Yes, similar to how the Belle Vista Bypass was done, or the southern segments of AR-530 currently.

A new location, two lane freeway with the grading for a parallel roadway to complete a full 4 lane design.

Road Hog

« Reply #3619 on: January 23, 2022, 10:44:10 PM »

Even a Super-2 connecting the completed ends of I-49 / AR 549 would be preferable to the current US 71.

From point to point, taking US 71 from the south end of AR 549 near Greenwood to the north end of I-49 at the state line near Texarkana is 164 miles, or 3 hours and 5 minutes. A completed Super-2 between the two points (based on projected exit numbers) would cut the distance to 145 miles and the drive time to about 2 hours, 14 minutes (even assuming a 65 mph speed limit). Something is better than nothing.

Rick Powell

• Last Login: Today at 12:09:38 AM
« Reply #3620 on: January 23, 2022, 10:55:49 PM »

Im catching up on the posts about 49 and the building from Ft Smith to Texarkana? What does a super 2 road mean in the building process? Im guessing its a two lane road with passing lanes added every 15 to 20 milies? or adding lanes near towns along the route? While the land will be cleared for another 2 lane road to be finished at a later date?
Super 2s are often built as one side of a future 4 lane road, but with two way traffic on the two interim lanes. Often it is built to interstate standards with no at-grade crossings and interchange ramps where entrances and exits are needed. Sometimes at grade intersections and entrances are allowed, but this means they will need to be removed in the future if the roadway is to attain “interstate”  status.

Often the entire future right of way is bought at once, if the plan is to expand to 4-lanes in the future. Sometimes the unbuilt lanes are cleared and graded so that pavement can be placed on them when funding is available, but sometimes the land is untouched until when/if the future lanes are constructed.

Passing lanes, etc are not a necessary feature of Super 2s but could be installed, especially if the road is to remain a Super 2 for a few decades. May depend on whether the Super 2 is planned as an eventual 4-lane or not.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:07:24 PM by Rick Powell »

Road Hog

« Reply #3621 on: January 24, 2022, 01:27:57 AM »

My guess is any Super-2 of I-49 that gets built will be wide enough to accommodate without paved shoulders passing lanes, which will likely be needed because of the terrain in some locations. If the Super-2 is built to future interstate specs, it should be at least 38 feet wide throughout (2x 12-foot lanes, a 10-foot outside shoulder and a 4-foot inside shoulder).

MikieTimT

« Reply #3622 on: January 24, 2022, 02:31:48 PM »

If Im right in guessing, Most of IH 22 in Alabama and Mississippi was done in the same order through similiar terrain. Problem is that 220 mile segment took 25+ years to complete

My guess is they'll do it like AR-530 south of Pine Bluff initially.  ROW purchased and utilities moved as needed with dirt work done for the initial 2 lanes of carriageway with the elevation gradients and curve radii done to interstate specifications.  The 2 lanes will have passing zones (improved sightlines due to interstate-grade geometry makes them both more numerous and longer in length generally), but likely no climb lanes for passing, unless the ultimate interstate will have them as generally the Super-2 makes up the carriageway for one of the lane sets, with the dirtwork, bridges, etc. done for the 2nd set of lanes when funds come to fruition.  AR-549's Super-2 for the BVB had grade separation done from the get-go, which made the 2nd set of lanes much quicker as only bridging over roads without exits and over creeks were necessary, otherwise, it was just dirtwork, roadbed building, and paving between the overpasses, which already had the 2nd carriageway completed between the exit and entrance ramps under the overpasses as part of the exit-building in the initial Super-2 construction.  Then, it was just minor work of restriping the initial Super-2 to eliminate the lines constraining passing, put the inside shoulder yellow line, removal of the crossovers for exit/entrance ramps to the Super-2 across the median with regrading, and signage movement/deployment.  My guess is they'll do it like AR-530 due to funding constraints though with at-grade intersections of the crossroads and limit access between the crossroads to discourage development along the new road, other than near where there will ultimately be future exits.  The part that took longest for the BVB going from Super-2 to full I-49 after funding was secured for Missouri's portion was the reworking of the roundabout at Bentonville/Bella Vista/US-71 into a SPUI exit with the mainline going over a long overpass.

MikieTimT

« Reply #3623 on: January 24, 2022, 02:38:23 PM »

Your linked post mentions 284 -> 99. What are the new numbers for 287 & 289?

Exit 287 is now Exit 102.  I haven't actually noticed there being mile markers on the BVB portion yet.  Now Google Maps has bad information yet again for the BVB, and it's not even been open that long.  This is why we can't have nice things...

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
« Reply #3624 on: January 24, 2022, 03:47:01 PM »

That leaves us with 289. This could be either:
- 104, because 289-(284-99 or 287-102)
- 103, because 289-(279-93)
104 looks more likely, being >2 miles from 102.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.