News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 101 DTLA Modifications (Part of LinkUs Project)

Started by Plutonic Panda, January 23, 2019, 08:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

I'm currently going through the entirety of the D/EIRs and I noticed there looks to be some pretty significant modifications to US-101 which looks to be a widening of the roadway width(no new lanes :////) and maybe reconstructed pavement(?). It would be nice if Caltrans used this opportunity for a completely revamp of the 101 in between CA 110 and I-5. As much as I'd love new GP lanes, it'd just be nice to see a modernized corridor. They could gain support of downtown residents by including construction of the proposed cap. One can dream right? I mean, my desire to see more lanes is a dream within my dream. I'm trying to be somewhat realistic when I'm dreaming. ;)

Here are the proposed improvements(I believe this is just in the project area):

US-101
The following safety improvements within the Caltrans ROW would be implemented as part of the proposed project:

US-101 Main Line

- Increased median width and shoulder widths for enhanced horizontal clearance
- Increased horizontal stopping sight distance
- Restriping main line for enhanced curvature
- Increased lane widths
- Increased weaving distance with maximized lengths between southbound Los Angeles Street on-ramp and southbound Commercial Street off-ramp
- Increased tangent length between reversing curves for improved drivability (greater distance between curves allows the driver to see the upcoming horizontal curve, prepare for the curve ahead, and adjust driving/steering accordingly)

Alameda Street Off-Ramp (Northbound)

- Increased deceleration length
- Standard ramp exit with diverge angle (provides a safety zone for drivers making last-minute
decisions)
- Increased shoulder width for enhanced horizontal clearance

Commercial Street Off-Ramp and On-Ramp (Southbound)

- Increased shoulder widths for enhanced horizontal clearance

––––
Here is a link to the D/EIRs: https://www.metro.net/projects/link-us/

RZF

I still think that something like this won't necessarily make this stretch any less congested. US-101 from about Santa Monica Blvd. to I-10 East is brutal pretty much every day and time of the week. I was out there once on a Friday night, close to midnight, and the traffic was STILL bumper-to-bumper (with no accidents/road work as the reason).

nexus73

Quote from: RZF on February 02, 2019, 01:19:39 AM
I still think that something like this won't necessarily make this stretch any less congested. US-101 from about Santa Monica Blvd. to I-10 East is brutal pretty much every day and time of the week. I was out there once on a Friday night, close to midnight, and the traffic was STILL bumper-to-bumper (with no accidents/road work as the reason).

When I drove the Hollywood at 2 AM back in 1974, it was completely congested.  The rest of the Southland freeways were fairly empty at that time so I was surprised to see 101 so crowded.  IOW, nothing has changed...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

djsekani

You have a higher chance of the 101 being bulldozed completely before getting more lanes added. Honestly at this point you could make it twenty lanes and it would still be congested.

What I really hope is that the weaving distances on the NB ramps are increased. That Broadway on ramp in particular is only navigable because of heavy traffic; trying to cross two lanes in that distance at 55 MPH would be beyond harrowing.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: nexus73 on February 02, 2019, 11:10:31 AM
Quote from: RZF on February 02, 2019, 01:19:39 AM

When I drove the Hollywood at 2 AM back in 1974, it was completely congested.  The rest of the Southland freeways were fairly empty at that time so I was surprised to see 101 so crowded.  IOW, nothing has changed...LOL!

Rick
Try Sunday night leaving the Hollywood Bowl at 10:30.  Completely jammed into downtown on a consistent basis.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.