News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

1982 Las Vegas map

Started by MarkF, February 04, 2019, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkF

Here's a couple of scans from the CSAA Las Vegas map dated 8-82

The US 95 freeway ended at Las Vegas Blvd, then cut over to Fremont St. I have a 1987 version of this map where it ends at Tropicana and was designated as 515 by then.  From Fremont, US 93 went north on Las Vegas Blvd/Salt Lake Hwy rather than joining I-15 at US 95.
No flyovers on any of the I-15 exits to the strip.
(Dunes-)Flamingo didn't go west of I-15 (it did by 1987).
The old connector to the south end of the strip on northbound I-15, I think the BGS for this said "Las Vegas Blvd (STRIP)". This was in the area where the 215 interchange is now.

bugo

roadfro

Quote from: MarkF on February 04, 2019, 01:15:53 AM
Here's a couple of scans from the CSAA Las Vegas map dated 8-82

Thanks for sharing.

One observation I made is that the ramp configuration at US 95 and Valley View Blvd is wrong (it should be flipped 180°).

The US 95 freeway ended at Las Vegas Blvd, then cut over to Fremont St. I have a 1987 version of this map where it ends at Tropicana and was designated at 515 by then.  From Fremont, US 93 went north on Las Vegas Blvd/Salt Lake Hwy rather than joining I-15 at US 95.

I believe the US 95 freeway eastward from Downtown/Las Vegas Blvd was under construction when this map was produced, with its first segment to Charleston Blvd opening in 1984 and others opening piecemeal to Lake Mead Drive by 1990.

I don't think US 93 was moved onto the I-15 or US 95 freeways until US 95 construction reached the Boulder Highway interchange.

While the I-515 designation existed on paper, it was not signed in the field until 1994-1995 (when the freeway reached Railroad Pass on the south end of Henderson).

No flyovers on any of the I-15 exits to the strip.

The first flyover was built at Tropicana, and dates to the early 1990s (1992?). Sahara was built next, then the Spring Mtn flyover (which accompanied a full rebuild of that interchange, IIRC).

The old connector to the south end of the strip on northbound I-15, I think the BGS for this said "Las Vegas Blvd (STRIP)". This was in the area where the 215 interchange is now.

That ramp pair over to Las Vegas Blvd is a remnant of original construction of I-15–that was the temporary northern end of the interstate, and the ramps facilitated the shift of traffic between I-15 and Las Vegas Blvd (then still US 91 when this was constructed). Those ramps were removed when the 215 interchange was constructed. On the east side of I-15, the mainline of I-215 was built just south of Maule Ave–I think Hidden Well Road (the WB frontage road) is actually the former Maule Ave alignment.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

MarkF

Quote from: roadfro on February 04, 2019, 11:22:07 AM
One observation I made is that the ramp configuration at US 95 and Valley View Blvd is wrong (it should be flipped 180°).

On the 1987 version of the map, this is shown flipped from the 1982 map.  Wonder if this was just a map fix, or actual reconstruction?

roadfro

Quote from: MarkF on February 05, 2019, 01:23:48 AM
Quote from: roadfro on February 04, 2019, 11:22:07 AM

On the 1987 version of the map, this is shown flipped from the 1982 map.  Wonder if this was just a map fix, or actual reconstruction?
Definite map fix. That interchange has not ever been reconstructed (except to accommodate the widening of US 95 in the mid 2000s, and even then the ramp layout remained largely unchanged).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.