🛣 Headlines and Articles about California Highways – March 2019

Started by cahwyguy, March 31, 2019, 07:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

Quote from: mrsman on April 11, 2019, 12:08:41 AM
Think about this:  If you are in Hollywood or Downtown LA, you cannot access the portion of the 210 between the 118 in Pacoima to the 605 in Irwindale without using a surface street connection or significant backtracking. 

You can get to the 210 from Downtown without much difficulty (although the actual traffic may be quite heavy). Either take the 110 to I-5 or cut around Dodger Stadium to the Glendale Freeway, then take CA 134 to the 210 if you're going east. If you're in Hollywood, building the I-710 tunnel will not make much difference as the 101 to CA 134 east routing isn't any longer than a routing through the proposed tunnel. The people who need an I-710 tunnel are those trying to get to I-210 are long-distance traffic (especially trucks) looking for another route to the Cajon Pass and those traveling to/from the Pasadena vicinity.

mrsman

Quote from: skluth on April 12, 2019, 12:23:57 AM
Quote from: mrsman on April 11, 2019, 12:08:41 AM
Think about this:  If you are in Hollywood or Downtown LA, you cannot access the portion of the 210 between the 118 in Pacoima to the 605 in Irwindale without using a surface street connection or significant backtracking. 

You can get to the 210 from Downtown without much difficulty (although the actual traffic may be quite heavy). Either take the 110 to I-5 or cut around Dodger Stadium to the Glendale Freeway, then take CA 134 to the 210 if you're going east. If you're in Hollywood, building the I-710 tunnel will not make much difference as the 101 to CA 134 east routing isn't any longer than a routing through the proposed tunnel. The people who need an I-710 tunnel are those trying to get to I-210 are long-distance traffic (especially trucks) looking for another route to the Cajon Pass and those traveling to/from the Pasadena vicinity.

You are right in that the existing routings are not terrible.  But the point that I was making is that there shouldn't be gaps in the system.  If you are on one part of the system, you should be able to get to another part of the system without the need to exit and use surface streets as your connection.

If I was traveling at a low traffic time, it would be far quicker if I can go from Hollywood to Arcadia by way of 101-10-710-210, then to use any of the other alternatives that involves surface streets  and traffic signals (Universal City, Echo Park, Pasadena).  Again, you are correct that the vast majority of users of the 710 gap closing would be those heading to Long Beach, but it serves other uses as well.

The Downtown-Arcadia routing via the 5 and 2 freeway is probably the best way to go.  It is all freeway, but it does involve some level of backtracking.  I've always liked using the 2nd street tunnel as a great escape to either Glendale or Beverly Blvds, although it is no longer as efficient with the bike lanes removing 2 car lanes.

froggie

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 31, 2019, 09:21:22 PM
I'll have to make a new blog directory thread now that the site name has changed backed to Gribblenation.  It looks like Adam will be focusing on some of the older Gribblenation stuff for Vermont from what I saw on the Facebook page.

If I get around to it.  Been dealing with the "death of a laptop" that has also hamstrung my GIS projects.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: froggie on April 18, 2019, 11:15:41 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 31, 2019, 09:21:22 PM
I'll have to make a new blog directory thread now that the site name has changed backed to Gribblenation.  It looks like Adam will be focusing on some of the older Gribblenation stuff for Vermont from what I saw on the Facebook page.

If I get around to it.  Been dealing with the "death of a laptop" that has also hamstrung my GIS projects.

That sucks,I lost a lap top back in 2015.  When I relocated to California in 2016 I was able to recover about 90% of my older photos (I used to share much more on my personal Facebook page and ghost town websites) which in retrospect was an opportune since it gave me a chance to re-edit all of them.  I'm using triplicate file storage for photos these days and I've started working my Wife's family photos in my spare time. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.