News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on July 06, 2019, 10:17:17 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 06, 2019, 11:59:05 AM
Its funny how 13/40 moves faster then 95 sometimes. Even airport road is the fastest when 95/295 are backed up.
For me, it's not even a matter of 13/40 moving faster than 95 at 295, I just really don't like driving on that stretch of road.  Granted, 13/40 isn't much fun either, but at least all the lanes generally move consistently.  Also, I tend to have a preference for the shorter route vs. the "faster" route.
That makes sense. From my driving experience. I don't know if I'm correct or not. But the highway (fastest route) & the local roads (shortest route) usually get you to the location you are going at the same time, that is unless there isn't any accidents on either routes making the travel time lengthy.

I know GPS usually has the highway marked for shortest route. I assume that's because a highway cuts through everything.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

ixnay

Doesn't look like the DE 1/US 9/DE 404/Business US 9 intersection is going to be bypassed any time soon...

https://www.capegazette.com/article/deldot-road-projects-will-not-be-five-points-bypass/184007

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alex4897

Quote from: ixnay on July 08, 2019, 09:34:39 PM
Doesn't look like the DE 1/US 9/DE 404/Business US 9 intersection is going to be bypassed any time soon...

https://www.capegazette.com/article/deldot-road-projects-will-not-be-five-points-bypass/184007

ixnay

The title is a bit misleading, they're moreso stating that the upcoming projects aren't supposed to siphon much traffic off of DE 1 as opposed to ruling out any kind of diversion projects around there. I believe the working group for the Five Points Study put forth a few recommendations for new facilities to relieve DE 1 in the longer term, though I can't recall if any were to the scale of the Western Parkway project from the 2000s.
👉😎👉

ixnay

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 09, 2019, 01:02:19 AM
The title is a bit misleading,

Too bad the Cape Gazette's website doesn't have an editor's email link.  Iykwim.

QuoteI can't recall if any were to the scale of the Western Parkway project from the 2000s.

Any links to maps of that project available?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alex4897

👉😎👉

froggie

A big part of the problem is the local governments approving development willy-nilly without protecting a corridor or right-of-way that could be used for a DE 1 alternative.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: froggie on July 11, 2019, 10:36:11 AM
A big part of the problem is the local governments approving development willy-nilly without protecting a corridor or right-of-way that could be used for a DE 1 alternative.

But they would need direction from the state as to where a DE 1 Alt would be placed, and the type of road it would be (limited access, local 2/4 lane road, etc).  And unless the state buys the land or somehow gets it restricted, it shouldn't be up to local governments to figure out where such a highway would go. 

ixnay

ipeters61

Quote from: froggie on July 11, 2019, 10:36:11 AM
I'm just going to say one word.

Yup.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

ixnay

https://www.capegazette.com/article/deldot-unveils-timetable-route-1-improvements/185311

The article includes maps of the proposed interchange at DE 1 and 16 and improvements near the Nassau bypass.

And a related link...

https://www.capegazette.com/article/route-1-route-16-traffic-light-remains-issue/185637

ixnay

jcn

Question, for those of you that have driven over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, have any of you noticed the antenna towers of Roxborough in the distance.  Drawing a line from the DMB to the Roxborough towers on a map, they are just to the left of the Commodore Barry Bridge.  It will probably be easier to spot them at night with their red blinking lights.  So again, have any of you noticed them from DMB, if not, see if you could spot them by looking to the left of the CBB.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jcn on August 16, 2019, 01:14:45 PM
Question, for those of you that have driven over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, have any of you noticed the antenna towers of Roxborough in the distance.  Drawing a line from the DMB to the Roxborough towers on a map, they are just to the left of the Commodore Barry Bridge.  It will probably be easier to spot them at night with their red blinking lights.  So again, have any of you noticed them from DMB, if not, see if you could spot them by looking to the left of the CBB.

To be honest, I've never looked for them.  On clear days/nights I easily see the Philly skyline though.  Next time I drive over I'll see if I can find them.

The Ghostbuster

I think State Highway 1 should have its exits changed back to mileage-based (like the northern-most few were originally), especially since some of the newer interchanges have numbers that are not correctly numbered by the distance to the Delaware/Maryland border, even based on kilometers. Examples: Exit 79 should be Exit 72; Exit 83 should be Exit 77; Exit 86 should be Exit 80; and Exit 88 should be Exit 83.

jp the roadgeek

Here's what I have for DE 1 exits going mileage based, including some of the newer Milford area exits.

Exit 39: DE 30 Lincoln
Exit 40 (NB ONLY): DE 1 BUS NORTH Milford
Exit 41: DE 36 Milford/Slaughter Beach
Exit 42: DE 14 WEST NE Front St
Exit 44 (SB ONLY): US 113 SOUTH TO DEL 1 BUS SOUTH Milford/Georgetown
Exit 46: Thompsonville Rd
Exit 48: Frederica Rd
Exit 50: DE 12 WEST N Frederica
Exit 56A (56 SB): DE 9 NORTH Kitts Hummock/Little Creek
Exit 56B (NB ONLY) Dover AFB Commercial Gate
Exit 57: Dover AFB Main Gate/Visitors
Exit 58: NB: DE 10 WEST Dover/Camden; SB: TO DE 10 South Dover/Camden//Dover AFB North Gate

Exit 60 (SB ONLY) TO US 13 Salisbury/Norfolk
Exit 61 (SB ONLY): DE 8 Downtown Dover/Little Creek
Exit 65: US 13 TO DE 8 North Dover
Exit 71: US 13 (TO DE 6/DE 300 NB) South Smyrna
Exit 75 (A/B SB): US 13 (TO DE 6/DE 300 75B): N Smyrna/Townsend (NB) Townsend (75A) Smyrna (75B)

Exit 85: DE 299 TO US 13 Odessa/Middletown
Exit 89: US 13/DE 896 (TO US 301 NB) Mt Pleasant (NB & SB)/St George's (NB) Boyd's Corner (SB)

Exit 90 (SB ONLY) US 301 SOUTH Annapolis
Exit 92 (SB ONLY) US 13 S St George's
Exit 94: NB: DE 72 TO DE 7 Delaware City/Newark; SB: US 13 SOUTH/DE 72 Delaware City/St George's

Exit 97 (A/B SB): NB: US 13 NORTH TO I-295/NJTP/Airport New Castle/NYC;  97A SB: DE 71 SOUTH Red Lion. 97B SB: US 13 NORTH Wilmington

Exit 99 US 40  Elton MD/State Road (NB); Bear/Glasgow (SB)
Exit 100: DE 273 (TO Airport SB); Newark/New Castle (controls flipped SB)
Exit 101: DE 7 Christiana Mall Rd
Exit 102A (NB ONLY): I-95 NORTH Flyover (TO I-295/NJTP NJ/NYC & I-495 Wilmington/Philly)
Exit 102B: I-95 NORTH Wilmington/Philadelphia
Exit 102C: I-95 SOUTH Newark/Baltimore
Exit 103: DE 58 Churchmans Cr
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ipeters61

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 16, 2019, 10:20:40 PM
Here's what I have for DE 1 exits going mileage based, including some of the newer Milford area exits.

Exit 39: DE 30 Lincoln
Exit 40 (NB ONLY): DE 1 BUS NORTH Milford
Exit 41: DE 36 Milford/Slaughter Beach
Exit 42: DE 14 WEST NE Front St
Exit 44 (SB ONLY): US 113 SOUTH TO DEL 1 BUS SOUTH Milford/Georgetown
Exit 46: Thompsonville Rd
Exit 48: Frederica Rd
Exit 50: DE 12 WEST N Frederica
Exit 56A (56 SB): DE 9 NORTH Kitts Hummock/Little Creek
Exit 56B (NB ONLY) Dover AFB Commercial Gate
Exit 57: Dover AFB Main Gate/Visitors
Exit 58: NB: DE 10 WEST Dover/Camden; SB: TO DE 10 South Dover/Camden//Dover AFB North Gate
Exit 101: DE 7 Christiana Mall Rd
Exit 88 (present day) Bowers Beach is missing, for now I think that would be good as 52 (don't have a list in front of me right now).

For Exit 95 (present day)/Exit 58 (proposed), I'd do Exit 59 southbound.  I know it's a bit of a nitpick, but they are still about 1 mile apart from each other.

I think for Exit 164 (present day)/Exit 101 (proposed), it's split southbound as DE-7 SB to Christiana and a separate exit for Mall Road.  I can't remember the order exactly, but I think it would be Exit 101A for DE-7 SB and Exit 101B for Mall Road.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alex

Per a text message I received from Bob, all signs referencing SR 34 are now gone.

I went ahead and amended the SR 34 page on AARoads to reference it as a former route.

Tonytone

I didn't know we had this sign

iPhone

jemacedo9

Does anyone know the answer to this:

On DE 1 NB only, in Smyrna at the overpass of US 13 at Exit 119, there are signs for trucks over 5T GWV to use the right lane.  There is also a sign for trucks to view a message on a VMS when flashing.  All of this has been around for a few years now. 

It seems like there is a pretty good sized bump up in the left lane to get onto that overpass...like there has been some undermining of the approach slab - is that it? Or something else?

MASTERNC

Quote from: jemacedo9 on September 23, 2019, 12:25:59 PM

On DE 1 NB only, in Smyrna at the overpass of US 13 at Exit 119, there are signs for trucks over 5T GWV to use the right lane.  There is also a sign for trucks to view a message on a VMS when flashing.  All of this has been around for a few years now. 

It seems like there is a pretty good sized bump up in the left lane to get onto that overpass...like there has been some undermining of the approach slab - is that it? Or something else?

It's an electronic weigh-in-motion scale for trucks, I believe.

Alex4897

Quote from: MASTERNC on September 23, 2019, 12:42:11 PM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on September 23, 2019, 12:25:59 PM

It's an electronic weigh-in-motion scale for trucks, I believe.

Yeah, the electronic signs light up when certain conditions are met and I believe they direct trucks off of SR 1 onto US 13 to use the full weigh station near Blackbird.
👉😎👉

jemacedo9

^ Makes sense - thanks!

74/171FAN

New traffic pattern planned at the DE 1 Biddle Corner Toll Plaza.

From DelDOT:  https://deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=7851
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Tonytone

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is having a happy fall. If you dont know already there has been many projects completed or started in New Castle county.

1. RED MILL RD RECONSTRUCTION. Has been completed. I will take pictures & post the new configuration of the intersection.

2. Limestone road has been repaved from Kirkwood Hwy  To the PA Border. Also in the news the speed limit will be decreased from 50-45.

3. 141 SB RECONSTRUCTION is moving along & the Newark 95 exit has been closed for sometime & they are already pouring concrete for the ramp.

4. Work on DE-1 has begun again, it seems they have started the bridge widening on Road A as well & thats moving along fast.

5. 95 from Concord ave exit to the PA border has been repaved in both directions. Is this what it looked like when it was first built? , marsh road exit is still closed due to a reconstruction & signs along 95 are being updated.

6. Main St RECONSTRUCTION seems to be moving along steadily. Curb bumps have been installed on the left side with new parking ticket machines (like the ones in Philly) the right side is now being finished & pavement all around is getting redone. Many new buildings are also getting renovated as Well.

7. Wilmingtons projects including the new bus station & bridge are moving along. The bridge & 13 intersection are nearing completion. While the new bus terminal is being built & the road in front of the train station has been reconfigured. Talks of Wilmington Parking Authority being ran poorly was in the papers. Ill find the link & post it as Well.

8. Bear De intersection Route 40/7 has been updated with mass arm lights. Cross walks & sidewalks have been added as Well.

9. Wrangle Hill road widening is in full progress from De 1 all the way too porter road. A new business district in the old farm by Red-lion Rd & Wrangle Hill has started construction, as Well as a new Wawa & shopping center on the corner of Red-lion rd & Wrangle Hill Rd. Further down the road @the Route 40 intersection with fox run that intersection is nearing completion as they start the Del Law road reconfiguration.

That is all I can think of for now but its a-lot going on, a sign of progress!!

iPhone

MASTERNC

Quote from: Tonytone on October 14, 2019, 01:14:21 AM
Hello everyone, I hope everyone is having a happy fall. If you dont know already there has been many projects completed or started in New Castle county.

1. RED MILL RD RECONSTRUCTION. Has been completed. I will take pictures & post the new configuration of the intersection.

2. Limestone road has been repaved from Kirkwood Hwy  To the PA Border. Also in the news the speed limit will be decreased from 50-45.

3. 141 SB RECONSTRUCTION is moving along & the Newark 95 exit has been closed for sometime & they are already pouring concrete for the ramp.

4. Work on DE-1 has begun again, it seems they have started the bridge widening on Road A as well & thats moving along fast.

5. 95 from Concord ave exit to the PA border has been repaved in both directions. Is this what it looked like when it was first built? , marsh road exit is still closed due to a reconstruction & signs along 95 are being updated.

6. Main St RECONSTRUCTION seems to be moving along steadily. Curb bumps have been installed on the left side with new parking ticket machines (like the ones in Philly) the right side is now being finished & pavement all around is getting redone. Many new buildings are also getting renovated as Well.

7. Wilmingtons projects including the new bus station & bridge are moving along. The bridge & 13 intersection are nearing completion. While the new bus terminal is being built & the road in front of the train station has been reconfigured. Talks of Wilmington Parking Authority being ran poorly was in the papers. Ill find the link & post it as Well.

8. Bear De intersection Route 40/7 has been updated with mass arm lights. Cross walks & sidewalks have been added as Well.

9. Wrangle Hill road widening is in full progress from De 1 all the way too porter road. A new business district in the old farm by Red-lion Rd & Wrangle Hill has started construction, as Well as a new Wawa & shopping center on the corner of Red-lion rd & Wrangle Hill Rd. Further down the road @the Route 40 intersection with fox run that intersection is nearing completion as they start the Del Law road reconfiguration.

That is all I can think of for now but its a-lot going on, a sign of progress!!

iPhone

I think they start Elkton Road construction next year - they were doing some sort of work this summer that might have been preparation.  So much for that shunpike starting next year.

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on October 14, 2019, 01:14:21 AM

IIRC that widening project should only be going from DE 1 to a little beyond DE 71, have they started the actual widening project or are they just doing advanced utility relocations?
👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.