News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why can't people get this intersection right?

Started by Crash_It, November 14, 2020, 05:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2021, 04:20:32 PM
Read this thread for the first time, and am amazed that there was only one purple-text comment, a number of personal attacks were allowed to let stand despite a moderator's participation in this discussion, and that it hasn't been locked yet.

Aren't you one of the two to complain about overmoderation?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2021, 04:20:32 PM
Having said that, a simple signage solution can found in Pikeville, Ky. At the beginning of the right-turn lane, and also at the point where a merge would occur, there is this...

https://goo.gl/maps/uQQVikwsgLS9Bxnw6

In case you can't read it in the imagery, the sign says "Lane Continues Stop Not Required."

Pretty straightforward, if you ask me. I've been through that intersection many times and do not ever recall an issue with a driver stopping in the continuing added lane.

However, "Stop Not Required" isn't the same as "Do Not Stop" or "Keep Moving". 

Downstream, where the solid line meets the skip line, there's an incorrectly posted W4-1 Merge sign where the W4-2 Lane Ends sign would be more appropriate.

Crash_It

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 05, 2021, 04:22:37 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on January 05, 2021, 03:13:55 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 05, 2021, 07:24:41 AM
Quote from: Crash_It on January 05, 2021, 04:59:14 AM
Quote from: wtd67 on January 02, 2021, 03:48:37 AM
The subject of this thread is "Why can't people get this intersection right?".  Two reasons, poor signage and they are not common.  In 99.9% of right turns at intersections, you have to slow down and many times stop.  I barely saw the green arrow, but I also saw a car going through the intersection at the same time.  If I didn't know the intersection, I would have stopped as well.

The person who shot the video escalated this whole incident for video purposes and has a major road rage problem.  First, he lays on the horn for a very long time, yells at the driver (whether they heard them or not), then cuts the driver off.  Many people relate that behavior as road rage.  Someone running up to the back of a car laying down the horn like he did probably scared the driver and they immediately stopped as they did know what was going on and then they tried to get out of the way by crossing over the line. 

If I were the judge, I would give the minivan a warning and the person that shot the video at least two tickets, one for cutting off the driver and another for road rage.

There was no road rage on my behalf, the driver was unlawfully stopped there end of story. The cop even agreed with my honking in the original of that video and initially didn't want to give the ticket.

Beyond a brief tap on the horn, you don't have the right to engage in any of that behavior toward another driver who is stopped illegally. It's not a felony. You don't have the right to tailgate them, blare your horn, or cut them off. That behavior is never warranted.

I didn't do any of the former

Hmmm. A careful read of cabiness42's post reveals that "the former" is "a brief tap on the horn" and "the latter" is "tailgate them, blare your horn, or cut them off."

So I'm guessing for once we can all agree with something Crash_It said: He definitely did not give "a brief tap on the horn"!

I said I was not tailgating in those clips. It's something I try not to do

1995hoo

Quote from: Crash_It on January 06, 2021, 12:32:48 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 05, 2021, 04:22:37 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on January 05, 2021, 03:13:55 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 05, 2021, 07:24:41 AM
Quote from: Crash_It on January 05, 2021, 04:59:14 AM
Quote from: wtd67 on January 02, 2021, 03:48:37 AM
The subject of this thread is "Why can't people get this intersection right?".  Two reasons, poor signage and they are not common.  In 99.9% of right turns at intersections, you have to slow down and many times stop.  I barely saw the green arrow, but I also saw a car going through the intersection at the same time.  If I didn't know the intersection, I would have stopped as well.

The person who shot the video escalated this whole incident for video purposes and has a major road rage problem.  First, he lays on the horn for a very long time, yells at the driver (whether they heard them or not), then cuts the driver off.  Many people relate that behavior as road rage.  Someone running up to the back of a car laying down the horn like he did probably scared the driver and they immediately stopped as they did know what was going on and then they tried to get out of the way by crossing over the line. 

If I were the judge, I would give the minivan a warning and the person that shot the video at least two tickets, one for cutting off the driver and another for road rage.

There was no road rage on my behalf, the driver was unlawfully stopped there end of story. The cop even agreed with my honking in the original of that video and initially didn't want to give the ticket.

Beyond a brief tap on the horn, you don't have the right to engage in any of that behavior toward another driver who is stopped illegally. It's not a felony. You don't have the right to tailgate them, blare your horn, or cut them off. That behavior is never warranted.

I didn't do any of the former

Hmmm. A careful read of cabiness42's post reveals that "the former" is "a brief tap on the horn" and "the latter" is "tailgate them, blare your horn, or cut them off."

So I'm guessing for once we can all agree with something Crash_It said: He definitely did not give "a brief tap on the horn"!

I said I was not tailgating in those clips. It's something I try not to do

No, that's not what you said. You said, "I didn't do any of the former." cabiness42 suggested a couple of things, as indicated in bold above. "The former" refers, grammatically, to the first bolded item–"a brief tap on the horn."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Former specifically means first of two. However, if the last three are viewed as a single item, it still works out as it would otherwise.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on January 06, 2021, 12:45:35 PM
Former specifically means first of two. However, if the last three are viewed as a single item, it still works out as it would otherwise.

That is exactly how I construed cabiness42's post, given the use of the disjunctive "or" in the second grouping. Think of it like in grade-school math class where three numbers were grouped within parentheses.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.