News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: tckma on June 29, 2016, 03:52:12 PM
Border straddling (of the US and Canada)!

Estcourt Station, Maine is far more easily accessible from Canada than it is from the US, but, it's only a few houses and a gas station.
Similarly, there is:

* The town of Hyder, Alaska
* The Northwest Angle of Minnesota
* Point Roberts, Washington
* and a few others I haven't mentioned here.

There's also Canusa Street, the centerline of which is part of the US-Canada border (i.e. the street is in both countries).  A similar situation occurs at the Haskell Free Library and Opera House, part of which is in Derby Line, Vermont, USA and part of which is in Stanstead, Québec, Canada.

There's also Aroostock Valley Country Club.  The course and clubhouse is in New Brunswick, and the parking lot and pro shop are in Maine.  A wayward shot on a couple of holes would put you across the border, and the only way to access the course is from the US.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

chays

If you were to take the world's tallest tree (Hyperion) and plop it at sea level, it would still be taller than the highest point in Florida.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: chays on July 19, 2016, 11:05:41 PM
If you were to take the world's tallest tree (Hyperion) and plop it at sea level, it would still tower over the highest point in Florida by over 60 feet.

Actually it's only 34 feet...Britton Hill is 345 feet above sea level.

Here's one....the largest lake by surface area west of the Great Lakes was Tulare Lake located in San Joaquin Valley in California and completely dried up in the mid-20th century.  Back in those days water diversion and reclaiming land was considered a good thing.

chays

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 19, 2016, 11:10:21 PM
If you were to take the world's tallest tree (Hyperion) and plop it at sea level, it would still tower over the highest point in Florida by over 60 feet.

Here's one....the largest lake by surface area west of the Great Lakes was Tulare Lake located in San Joaquin Valley in California and completely dried up in the mid-20th century.  Back in those days water diversion and reclaiming land was considered a good thing.
You're right...fixed original post.  Thanks for looking out.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: chays on July 19, 2016, 11:23:50 PM

No worries, the main facet of the fact is certainly true which is strange in of itself.  Speaking of strange, Florida despite being a low elevation actually has several highways....OR ridges; namely the Brooksville Ridge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Florida%27s_highest_points

I always thought it was interesting that I could find switch backs out and around the Green Swamp if you knew where to look.  Another weird fact that is semi-geographic about Florida is that it has a large mining industry...in this case Phosphate which is among the largest sources in the world in Bone Valley.

chays

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 19, 2016, 11:34:21 PM

No worries, the main facet of the fact is certainly true which is strange in of itself.  Speaking of strange, Florida despite being a low elevation actually has several highways....OR ridges; namely the Brooksville Ridge:

I always thought it was interesting that I could find switch backs out and around the Green Swamp if you knew where to look.  Another weird fact that is semi-geographic about Florida is that it has a large mining industry...in this case Phosphate which is among the largest sources in the world in Bone Valley.
Don't forget Mt. Dora :nod:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: chays on July 20, 2016, 01:00:24 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 19, 2016, 11:34:21 PM

Don't forget Mt. Dora :nod:

There is actually a really decent view in Clermont along FL50 by which you can see downtown Orlando directly east on a clear day:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5468564,-81.7170686,3a,90y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQGHNpT0HWXhv9mG7LL6fbg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Which unfortunately the Google cam doesn't capture but can be seen really obviously by eye.

Speaking of Clermont there is some fairly decent driving roads around there like CR 561A, CR 455 and Sloan Ridge Road come to mind. 

CNGL-Leudimin

If you were to take the world's tallest tree (Hyperion) and plop it at sea level, it would still tower over the highest point in Florida.

I believe the highest point in Florida sits... at the top of a building! The Four Seasons Hotel Miami rises 789 foot from the ground, which is not many feet above sea level. That is more than double the height of Britton Hill.

Then there's Broward county high point, which is a mount made literally of trash.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 20, 2016, 03:23:10 PM
If you were to take the world's tallest tree (Hyperion) and plop it at sea level, it would still tower over the highest point in Florida.

I believe the highest point in Florida sits... at the top of a building! The Four Seasons Hotel Miami rises 789 foot from the ground, which is not many feet above sea level. That is more than double the height of Britton Hill.

Then there's Broward county high point, which is a mount made literally of trash.

Same thing down in Monroe County on Stock Island, it's also called Mount Trashmore locally.

noelbotevera

ZIP codes in my area conflict with my location. Chambersburg's ZIP code is 17201, but I actually live in the 17202 ZIP code. I have seen conflicts with this, such as packages arriving to the wrong house.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

GaryV

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 20, 2016, 04:41:41 PM
ZIP codes in my area conflict with my location. Chambersburg's ZIP code is 17201, but I actually live in the 17202 ZIP code ...
Which is also Chambersburg per USPS website.  Guilford Township (or Twp) are recognized alternate locations for the ZIP code, but Chambersburg is the default to be used "whenever possible".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: DandyDan on November 29, 2015, 08:24:48 AM
One I read online somewhere (I don't remember where) is that Malmo, Sweden is closer to Milan, Italy than it is to Kiruna, Sweden.

Malmö, Sweden to Milano, Italy is 1464 km.

Avoiding the ferry between Rødby, Denmark and Puttgarden, Germany (using the Great Belt Bridge instead) results in a trip length of 1609 km.

Malmö, Sweden to Kiruna, Sweden is 1843 km.  A trip by train takes about 22 hours one-way, and generally involves one to three changes of train.

So what you read was correct.  Sweden is a very long country.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

chays

Here's an interesting geo-oddity.  I'll pose it as a trivia question, feel free to provide your best educated guess.

In the US, what is the longest river that has both its source and its mouth in the same state?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: chays on July 20, 2016, 11:22:28 PM
Here's an interesting geo-oddity.  I'll pose it as a trivia question, feel free to provide your best educated guess.

In the US, what is the longest river that has both its source and its mouth in the same state?

I know what is for California....that would be the Sacramento which is 445 miles from source to mouth all intra-state.

chays

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 20, 2016, 11:27:48 PM

I know what is for California....that would be the Sacramento which is 445 miles from source to mouth all intra-state.
That's a great guess, but not the right answer.  The Sacramento is probably a top 5 in this category, maybe top 3 (I haven't researched further)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: chays on July 20, 2016, 11:32:25 PM

That's a great guess, but not the right answer.  The Sacramento is probably a top 5 in this category, maybe top 3 (I haven't researched further)

It's got to be Alaska something....I seem to recall some off the top of my head that are 500 miles plus intrastate.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 20, 2016, 11:34:31 PM

It's got to be Alaska something....I seem to recall some off the top of my head that are 500 miles plus intrastate.
Just staring at the map of the entire country in my Rand McNally for a minute, I'm gonna guess it's the Colorado River of Texas.  My first thought was Alaska too, but I know the Yukon at least runs into Canada. 

chays

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 21, 2016, 12:34:59 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 20, 2016, 11:34:31 PM

Just staring at the map of the entire country in my Rand McNally for a minute, I'm gonna guess it's the Colorado River of Texas.  My first thought was Alaska too, but I know the Yukon at least runs into Canada.
:clap: :clap: :clap: - You got it.  862 miles.

noelbotevera

Quote from: GaryV on July 20, 2016, 04:51:27 PM
ZIP codes in my area conflict with my location. Chambersburg's ZIP code is 17201, but I actually live in the 17202 ZIP code ...
Which is also Chambersburg per USPS website.  Guilford Township (or Twp) are recognized alternate locations for the ZIP code, but Chambersburg is the default to be used "whenever possible".
Well, I live in Hamilton Township, so the former wouldn't work. There's some other oddities with ZIP codes I found in my area.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 21, 2016, 02:13:14 AM
Well, I live in Hamilton Township, so the former wouldn't work. There's some other oddities with ZIP codes I found in my area.

ZIP Codes are actually nothing more than a way for the post office to distribute mail efficiently.  They weren't really supposed to identify exact towns, and especially the borders of that town. 

Phone number exchanges when all phones were landlines worked the same way: Many towns could identify themselves with a specific exchange or two, but those exchanges sometimes bled into adjoining towns.

I remember when my parents would write down phone numbers like this:  Mary: 3820.  John: 1105.  Because they were local friends and it was known that they were in the 468 exchange, so no reason to write down the full 7 digit number.  And the area code?  It was rare someone had to call someone long distance...and the rates to do so were incredibly expensive.  Shall we go into the era when you had to rent your phone from the nearby baby bell that served you???  (Thank goodness I'm not THAT old!  But my grandparents did have those heavy, leased phones!)

thenetwork

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 21, 2016, 06:23:52 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 21, 2016, 02:13:14 AM

ZIP Codes are actually nothing more than a way for the post office to distribute mail efficiently.  They weren't really supposed to identify exact towns, and especially the borders of that town. 

Speaking of ZIP codes, Newton Falls, OH has the only ZIP code in which all the numbers are the same -- 44444.

tckma

Having driven I-90 in western Montana, I'm going to guess it's the Clark Fork River.  Seemed like every second bridge was labeled with a "CLARK FORK" BGS.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: thenetwork on July 21, 2016, 01:45:27 PM
Speaking of ZIP codes, Newton Falls, OH has the only ZIP code in which all the numbers are the same -- 44444.

In line with that, the only postcode in Spain that all five numbers are the same digits belongs to Castejon de Monegros, Huesca province, Aragon: 22222. Incidentally, 44444 would be in Teruel province in the same region.

IIRC, General Electric in Schenectady NY has the best ZIP code: 12345.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

7/8

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 21, 2016, 04:45:13 PM

In line with that, the only postcode in Spain that all five numbers are the same digits belongs to Castejon de Monegros, Huesca province, Aragon: 22222. Incidentally, 44444 would be in Teruel province in the same region.

How about Santa Claus' postal code, H0H 0H0 :)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 7/8 on July 21, 2016, 05:03:14 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 21, 2016, 04:45:13 PM

How about Santa Claus' postal code, H0H 0H0 :)

Actually it's 86401.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus,_Arizona

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.