News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: oscar on March 06, 2022, 06:54:09 PM
Quote from: michravera on December 10, 2021, 02:46:45 PM
It's going to be tough to beat Clark and Lincoln counties in Nevada. Wiki says 2.3 million for Clark and 4500 for Lincoln.

In Hawaii, Maui County's 2020 Census population was 164,754. Kalawao County, only 82. Those two counties share a land border, but neither has a land border with any other county.

MN's is pretty unspectacular. St. Louis County (200K) bordering Lake County (11K).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Rothman on March 06, 2022, 06:30:51 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on March 06, 2022, 03:24:45 PM

Heh.  I have seen so many versions of this that are wrong that it is hard to trust one when it's right.

I measured those distances in Google Maps, and this map is in fact right.

Also, look at the size of Greenland compared to Africa. In reality, Greenland almost fits within Congo Kinshasa.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

The White House, the Empire State Building, and Boston City Hall are in perfect alignment.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2022, 10:11:02 AM
The White House, the Empire State Building, and Boston City Hall are in perfect alignment.

on what issues?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2022, 10:11:02 AM

I don't know that it defies conventional wisdom, but this is fuckin cool. The Massachusetts State House in Boston is an even better known landmark over there and produces an even better match at the Empire State Building if the Google Maps straight-line distance tool is any indication.

Cue conspiracy theory surrounding all this in 3..2..1...

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 07, 2022, 07:17:02 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 06, 2022, 06:30:51 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on March 06, 2022, 03:24:45 PM

Heh.  I have seen so many versions of this that are wrong that it is hard to trust one when it's right.

I measured those distances in Google Maps, and this map is in fact right.

Also, look at the size of Greenland compared to Africa. In reality, Greenland almost fits within Congo Kinshasa.

This is the main failing of the Mercator projection in making northern landmasses appear far larger than they are (Greenland is smaller than Australia, but you wouldn't know it from this map). This is why I typically trust other projections better, although all projections have their own drawbacks that come with trying to print a map of an imperfectly-shaped sphere.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SD Mapman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 06, 2022, 09:20:30 PM
Quote from: oscar on March 06, 2022, 06:54:09 PM
Quote from: michravera on December 10, 2021, 02:46:45 PM
It's going to be tough to beat Clark and Lincoln counties in Nevada. Wiki says 2.3 million for Clark and 4500 for Lincoln.

In Hawaii, Maui County's 2020 Census population was 164,754. Kalawao County, only 82. Those two counties share a land border, but neither has a land border with any other county.

MN's is pretty unspectacular. St. Louis County (200K) bordering Lake County (11K).
Yeah, SD's isn't that spectacular either, with Pennington (109,222) bordering Haakon (1,872)
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

empirestate

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 07, 2022, 01:10:55 PM
This is the main failing of the Mercator projection in making northern landmasses appear far larger than they are (Greenland is smaller than Australia, but you wouldn't know it from this map). This is why I typically trust other projections better, although all projections have their own drawbacks that come with trying to print a map of an imperfectly-shaped sphere.

I think you've nicely encapsulated what it means to "trust" something. You know the shortcomings of the Mercator projection, so really, you don't need to trust it any more or less than another projection–you can simply trust yourself to appropriately digest the information it gives.

The same principle applies when reading, say, Wikipedia or Yelp reviews. :-)

kphoger

I just realized this one:

The southern border of Baja California is farther north than Corpus Christi (TX), and is at the same latitude as Tampa (FL).
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jlam

Part of California is further south than the northernmost point of Mexico and part of it is further north than the southernmost point of Canada.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jlam on April 12, 2022, 05:02:49 PM
Part of California is further south than the northernmost point of Mexico and part of it is further north than the southernmost point of Canada.

I recently read about the latter.  The northern parts of Utah and Nevada are also further north than the most southern point in Canada. 

elsmere241

I don't know if this has been mentioned (I haven't read the whole thread) but some of us may remember the 1992 discovery of a 5,300-year-old corpse in the Alps.  A survey was conducted to determine which country he had been found in, Italy or Austria.  The surveyors found that based on the survey markings, the site was in Italy, but that had the boundary been marked more correctly, it would have been in Austria.

elsmere241

Quote from: Bruce on May 10, 2021, 01:47:13 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 10, 2021, 12:02:12 AM
I don't think it's legit to include cities that don't use the Latin alphabet in their native language.

As long as we're following their modern official transliteration, it should be fine.

Quite a few countries have gone back to correct colonialist Anglicizations like China (Peking -> Beijing) and Korea (Pusan -> Busan), so the modern names there should reflect the government's wishes.

Beijing is still "Pechino" (with a hard "ch") in Italian.

CNGL-Leudimin

And still "Pekín" in Spanish.
Quote from: elsmere241 on April 13, 2022, 10:28:38 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned (I haven't read the whole thread) but some of us may remember the 1992 discovery of a 5,300-year-old corpse in the Alps.  A survey was conducted to determine which country he had been found in, Italy or Austria.  The surveyors found that based on the survey markings, the site was in Italy, but that had the boundary been marked more correctly, it would have been in Austria.

Ötzi. It was in 1991, BTW.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ethanhopkin14

Despite the northeastern United States being known for having smaller states and having given locations being in close proximity to more than one state, Cimarron County, Oklahoma is the only county in the US that borders counties from five states and has the only location in the US less than 27 miles from five different states.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: elsmere241 on April 13, 2022, 10:44:39 AM
Quote from: Bruce on May 10, 2021, 01:47:13 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 10, 2021, 12:02:12 AM
I don't think it's legit to include cities that don't use the Latin alphabet in their native language.

As long as we're following their modern official transliteration, it should be fine.

Quite a few countries have gone back to correct colonialist Anglicizations like China (Peking -> Beijing) and Korea (Pusan -> Busan), so the modern names there should reflect the government's wishes.

Beijing is still "Pechino" (with a hard "ch") in Italian.

And Pékin in French.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: empirestate on March 08, 2022, 09:29:24 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 07, 2022, 01:10:55 PM

I think you've nicely encapsulated what it means to "trust" something. You know the shortcomings of the Mercator projection, so really, you don't need to trust it any more or less than another projection–you can simply trust yourself to appropriately digest the information it gives.

The same principle applies when reading, say, Wikipedia or Yelp reviews. :-)

There's a limit to that though, like how the placebo effect still works even when you know you're taking a placebo.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

webny99

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 20, 2022, 02:44:10 PM
Despite the northeastern United States being known for having smaller states and having given locations being in close proximity to more than one state, Cimarron County, Oklahoma is the only county in the US that borders counties from five states and has the only location in the US less than 27 miles from five different states.

Interesting! That's one of the better fun facts found in this thread. Thought I could find another example somewhere, but to no avail (although a few spots come close).

kurumi

Speaking of Cimarron County: the closest interstate highway to Felt, OK -- about 95 miles away -- is I-25.

And (though this seems familiar, probably noted before), Felt is closer to Denver and Santa Fe than to its own capital city.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

dlsterner

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 20, 2022, 02:44:10 PM
Cimarron County, Oklahoma is the only county in the US that borders counties from five states and has the only location in the US less than 27 miles from five different states.

And because of this, Cimarron County is the only county in the US that contains three state tri-points.

US 89

I spent a good several hours in Cimarron County last spring. Went to two of those tripoints and hiked Black Mesa, the highest point in Oklahoma (which, perhaps unsurprisingly, is almost on the New Mexico border). It's a fascinating world out there - extremely remote and with terrain you wouldn't normally associate with Oklahoma. Boise City has something like two gas stations, the well known county courthouse roundabout, and not much else.

wriddle082

Jefferson County, WV is closer to the capitals of the two other states that it borders (Richmond, VA and Annapolis, MD), plus the capitals of two other states that it doesn’t border (Harrisburg, PA and Dover, DE), than it’s own capital (Charleston).

Ted$8roadFan

There are places in southwest Virginia that are closer to several other state capitals than to Richmond.

https://www.howderfamily.com/blog/remote-southwestern-virginia/

kphoger

Quote from: kurumi on April 20, 2022, 08:29:08 PM
And (though this seems familiar, probably noted before), Felt is closer to Denver and Santa Fe than to its own capital city.

That doesn't seem to "defy conventional wisdom" to me at all, considering I grew up in a Kansas town that's more than 100 miles closer to Denver than Topeka.

Along those lines, though...
Jackson, WY:  closer to Boise, Salt Lake City, or Helena than it is to Cheyenne.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.