News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bm7

Straight west from Phoenix, the California coast is 314 miles away. Go straight south instead, and the coast of the Gulf of California is very slightly closer at 312 miles.

Rothman

Quote from: bm7 on January 25, 2024, 01:22:22 AM
Straight west from Phoenix, the California coast is 314 miles away. Go straight south instead, and the coast of the Gulf of California is very slightly closer at 312 miles.
I like that one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

andrepoiy

Quote from: webny99 on October 12, 2023, 01:14:13 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 12, 2023, 12:58:43 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on October 12, 2023, 12:34:18 PM
I looked at GoogleMaps and realized that what I wrote was not as clear cut as I thought, so I deleted it. My thinking was that the Canadian expressway that I-87 becomes goes due north, but when I looked at a map, the expressway actually bends a bit to the west, so the whole city of Montreal is more west than I thought.
Anything west of A-30 (which I would consider pretty much all of the Montréal area to be; Montréal itself doesn't extend to the mainland) is west of VT.  The key thing is that Canada (southern Ontario aside) doesn't tend to sprawl as much as the US, so those smaller nearby communities that would just have been subsumed into the bigger metro area in the US (or near Toronto) are still distinct places.

Definitely a fair point, but I would include Toronto in the category of not sprawling as much as the US. It's so huge that it can feel sprawling, but on a block level the suburban areas are still way more compact than US suburbs. Even the outlying suburbs such as Milton, Vaughan and Richmond Hill have new homes built on small properties with hardly any yard to speak of, and the transition from those areas to rural ones is very abrupt (in no small part due to the Greenbelt). I'd even go so far as to say "exurban" areas don't really exist, and to the extent they do, they're very limited and usually fall closer to either suburban or rural.

Canadians in general seem to be impressed by how sprawling suburbs in the US are, and vice versa. To us, a house on an acre property is pretty typical for an outlying suburb, but to them, that's a massive property that would be almost impossible to find for a single-family home.

I would say that GTA single-family detached homes actually resemble a lot of Los Angeles area' single-family detached homes - very little lawn/backyard, smaller lots, little space between houses

Road Hog

Quote from: andrepoiy on January 29, 2024, 03:05:42 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 12, 2023, 01:14:13 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 12, 2023, 12:58:43 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on October 12, 2023, 12:34:18 PM
I looked at GoogleMaps and realized that what I wrote was not as clear cut as I thought, so I deleted it. My thinking was that the Canadian expressway that I-87 becomes goes due north, but when I looked at a map, the expressway actually bends a bit to the west, so the whole city of Montreal is more west than I thought.
Anything west of A-30 (which I would consider pretty much all of the Montréal area to be; Montréal itself doesn't extend to the mainland) is west of VT.  The key thing is that Canada (southern Ontario aside) doesn't tend to sprawl as much as the US, so those smaller nearby communities that would just have been subsumed into the bigger metro area in the US (or near Toronto) are still distinct places.

Definitely a fair point, but I would include Toronto in the category of not sprawling as much as the US. It's so huge that it can feel sprawling, but on a block level the suburban areas are still way more compact than US suburbs. Even the outlying suburbs such as Milton, Vaughan and Richmond Hill have new homes built on small properties with hardly any yard to speak of, and the transition from those areas to rural ones is very abrupt (in no small part due to the Greenbelt). I'd even go so far as to say "exurban" areas don't really exist, and to the extent they do, they're very limited and usually fall closer to either suburban or rural.

Canadians in general seem to be impressed by how sprawling suburbs in the US are, and vice versa. To us, a house on an acre property is pretty typical for an outlying suburb, but to them, that's a massive property that would be almost impossible to find for a single-family home.

I would say that GTA single-family detached homes actually resemble a lot of Los Angeles area' single-family detached homes - very little lawn/backyard, smaller lots, little space between houses
Newer builds in DFW are like that. It's all about maximizing rooftops for developers. I have a quarter-acre lot on an older build (2003). Big enough to put in a regulation batting cage in the back.

Rothman

The large size of Louisiana throws me off.  Even when I intellectually know how it's as wide as upstate NY and a bigger state than Ohio geographically, it is still stuck in my mind that it's that dinky little state between Mississippi and Texas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jlam

Quote from: Rothman on February 02, 2024, 11:30:06 AM
The large size of Louisiana throws me off.  Even when I intellectually know how it's as wide as upstate NY and a bigger state than Ohio geographically, it is still stuck in my mind that it's that dinky little state between Mississippi and Texas.
Same here. Texas seems to make it seem tiny by comparison. Louisiana is almost as large as Mississippi (larger if you count its water area).

JayhawkCO

Agreed. When we were doing the longest interstate segments in two adjacent states thread, in no way did I think I-10 ran longer through Louisiana than New Mexico, and certainly not by 100 miles. (Part of that is me forgetting that El Paso is almost at the centerpoint of New Mexico from an East/West perspective.)

MikieTimT

Quote from: jlam on February 02, 2024, 11:59:21 AM
Same here. Texas seems to make it seem tiny by comparison. Louisiana is almost as large as Mississippi (larger if you count its water area).

Probably it's because it's only a little over a 150 miles across at its narrowest width between I-10 and I-20.  It's almost 300 miles across from the "heel" to the "toe" of the "boot" along the coastline.

What makes it seem smaller is there is much less habitable area than most states due to the sheer swampiness of the majority of the southern portion except for the ribbons along US-90 and I-10.

webny99

I wonder how much of it is due to the northern half being narrower. Seems to me like if it was flipped, it would seem a lot bigger.

jlam

Part of it might also be the north-south narrowness near New Orleans. Going north on I-55, you're almost immediately in Mississippi.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 02, 2024, 12:42:03 PM
Agreed. When we were doing the longest interstate segments in two adjacent states thread, in no way did I think I-10 ran longer through Louisiana than New Mexico, and certainly not by 100 miles. (Part of that is me forgetting that El Paso is almost at the centerpoint of New Mexico from an East/West perspective.)
^Good point.

Rothman

Quote from: jlam on February 02, 2024, 01:15:38 PM
Part of it might also be the north-south narrowness near New Orleans. Going north on I-55, you're almost immediately in Mississippi.

Not really.  You'd be surprised how far it is between I-10 and the MS border.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on February 02, 2024, 01:28:05 PM

Quote from: jlam on February 02, 2024, 01:15:38 PM

Not really.  You'd be surprised how far it is between I-10 and the MS border.

Partly because I-10 dips south through NOLA. 66 miles from LaPlace to the MS line is actually more than I thought, but I-12 is almost halfway there.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 02, 2024, 12:42:03 PM
(Part of that is me forgetting that El Paso is almost at the centerpoint of New Mexico from an East/West perspective.)

Oh, wow.  Yeah, I keep forgetting that too.  It sure seems like El Paso and Carlsbad should be closer together...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tmoore952

I remember driving to the New Mexico line on I-10 from downtown Phoenix, and realizing that if I drove that same distance further east on I-10 I would have been 80-90 miles east of El Paso.

CoreySamson

What really throws me off is that Arkansas is bigger in area than Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi (but not combined of course!). It's a little bigger than what it seems on a map.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Poiponen13

As you may have already known, Helsinki has more people than the country of Iceland. And Greenland is farther noth, south, east and west than Iceland.

vdeane

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 03, 2024, 02:50:24 PM
As you may have already known, Helsinki has more people than the country of Iceland.
We have another thread for that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bwana39

California is not all that wide either....
At its Narrowest EW point Louisiana  is around 110 nautical miles across it, but via roads, I-20 is around 180 miles.
In California, it is closer to 150 nautical miles at its narrowest, BUT I-8 from Yuma To San Diego is around 5 miles less than Louisiana's shortest road route.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

JayhawkCO

Melbourne, Australia is closer to Antarctica than it is to Darwin.

CNGL-Leudimin

While asking Google Maps for directions I discovered I'm closer to Italy than to the other end of Spain.
Quote from: bm7 on January 25, 2024, 01:22:22 AM

It's less than 40 miles from the Arizona state line to the closest coastline.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Poiponen13

Virginia reaches further west than West Virginia. Lithuania reaches further south than Denmark. Lithuania also reaches further north than Belarus. Kazakhstan reaches further north than Germany.

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 06, 2024, 01:12:55 PM
Virginia reaches further west than West Virginia.
Common knowledge
Lithuania reaches further south than Denmark. Lithuania also reaches further north than Belarus.
Not that all surprising
Kazakhstan reaches further north than Germany.
OK, that one's a bit unexpected.

Not bad, hitting 1 for 4. .250 is a respectable batting average.

Scott5114

Quote from: GaryV on February 06, 2024, 01:48:27 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 06, 2024, 01:12:55 PM
Virginia reaches further west than West Virginia.
Common knowledge

I sort of thought they were about the same, but it doesn't really surprise me much to find out that the far western tip of VA extends past the western tip of WV. The state lines in that area are sort of weird.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

Literally on the first page of this thread :sombrero::
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 28, 2015, 02:13:30 PM
Edit to add that Virginia actually reaches farther West than West Virginia.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.